Prop Balancing Experts Please Help
1797 6 2015-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RC Noob
lvl.2

United States

Hi, I am trying to balance my props (both original and carbon fiber).  What is strange is that the horizontal balance (props on either side of the Dubro balancer) is relatively easy to achieve with a very small piece of tape (generally) but the vertical balance seems almost impossible to achieve without adding several (and I mean very many) pieces of tape on one side of the space between the propellers.  Imagine the props were  lined up vertical, and you were looking for them to stay nearly vertical.

I am not quite sure what to do here.  I tried with both factory props and the carbon fiber ones (which i love).  Of the 5 props that i worked on, only 1 - was I able to balance adequately without adding excess material in that tiny area.  I also added as much as I could on both the props on one side of the CG, but it seems a bit much to have to do this.

I have heard of people trimming / sanding the other side?  I dont want to touch any control surface (I am not an expert), which means best I could do is shave off some material on the cap on the other side, but i am not sure it will do much.

I could ofcourse just ignore the imbalance, keep the horizontal balance which is very easy to achieve, and call it a day.

Suggestions please!

2015-12-15
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

There are many variables to consider DUBROW is correctly set up levels must be spot on etc.But having said that i find balancing the hub can be taxing ending up with some needing what seems to be excessive material to achieve a balance.On the rare occasion when i encounter this i tend to ignore it and just balance in the horizontal.Sanding of is not an option i would use personally.With luck some forum members might be able to throw some light on this.
2015-12-15
Use props
RC Noob
lvl.2

United States

i have been checking the rod (without the prop) at every opportunity to make sure the result was not skewed due to the prop balancer not being on a level surface).  Ultimately what i ended up doing is adding enough strips on both halves of the prop, on the lighter side of the CG to get both the horizontal and vertical balance.  I applied a tiny amount of gorilla glue to the tape layers and the prop at the edges to hopefully hold them all together.  Eager to see what difference I see in the smoothness of the hover.. these were some meaningful corrections to the prop balance.  Will report back.
2015-12-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

What you have found is quite typical. DJI props are most often balanced OK with respect to the blades, but out of balance slightly on the hub. And yes, it is harder to balance the hub. I do not add tape, glue or anything, I always remove plastic material to achieve a balance, mostly done using a small Dremel tool. YMMV.
2015-12-15
Use props
RC Noob
lvl.2

United States

Thanks, I have ordered an extra set to work with the dremel.   The CG offset on the nose seems to have a clear pattern between clockwise and counter clock wise props.  A simple tweak to the molding and DJI can deliver much better balanced props leaving just material variability which a tiny tape can fix.
2015-12-15
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Also agree that the hub is the usual problem for the few DJI props that I have found out of balance (DU-BRO balancer & RC Killer rod). It is time consuming to fix; I also sand off material from the hub side.
2015-12-16
Use props
mikeon
lvl.4
United States

My RH thread silver hub props were off as you describe.  I started sanding on the hub and the blade edges on the heavy side but saw it was going to take a lot of material removal.  So I put a dab of hot glue on the light side of the hub.  After several flights the glue is still there.  The black-hub props didn't need the glue treatment.
2015-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules