Switch motors off while flying
1195 8 2015-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
luisma.gnzlz
New

Spain

Hello everybody. I just bought a P3A and I have succesfully performed my first flight.

I have searched about the following question, but I found nothing about it.

According to the user manual, when you push and hold the throttle down for three seconds the motors will stop. Does this happen when you are flying too? Because holding the throttle down is a normal manoeuvre when you want to descend quickly. Shouldn't it be implemented a security feature that prevents the motors to stop when you are flying? Perhaps the feature already exists, but I haven't found any literature on it. Only warnings of not doing it.

Thanks for your feedback.
2015-12-21
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Absolutely not! In addition to holding the throttle down for three seconds or more, the aircraft must sense that it is grounded, by either landing, or hand-catching. The only way to shutdown the motors inflight is to perform the Combined Stick Command (CSC) by holding the sticks at either \ / or / \ positions in an emergency.....
2015-12-21
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

When you hold down the throttle for three seconds it does shut down the motors,  BUT ONLY when you are on the ground or the bird detects that for those 3 seconds it is not moving This is the preferred way to shut down the motors after landing or hand- catching.  Additionally, CSC should ONLY be used to start the motors. (or shutdown in an EMERGENCY)

Welcome to the forum!
2015-12-21
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi , Lusima
As they both said , holding the throttle down for 3 seconds will not stop the motors when the aircraft is flying in the air . But the CSC will . So , please don't try CSC when flying .
2015-12-21
Use props
lgonzalezj
New

Spain

Thanks all for the feedback.

As we can still shut down motors while flying with CSC, I'm still wondering in what situations I'd do such thing... In an emergency? I guess I'd try to descend and land instead of stopping motors. Wouldn't it be better to prevent motors to stop, or at least implement a security option in the app to decide what to do?

Thanks again.
2015-12-21
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

lgonzalezj Posted at 2015-12-21 08:16
Thanks all for the feedback.

As we can still shut down motors while flying with CSC, I'm still wond ...

If the MR got stuck in a tree or a power line and was trying to right itself by spinning props fast, it is nice to be able to shut it down. Or in a crash if props are still spinning CSC will most likely shut the props off to make it safe to approach to remove the battery.
2015-12-21
Use props
raveneapoe
lvl.2

United States

And, as CaveDrone stated:   "Additionally, CSC should ONLY be used to start the motors. (or shutdown in an EMERGENCY)"

If you try to use the CSC to shut down the motors after landing,  your Phantom may flip over, damaging the propellers and possibly the motors.  Use the throttle down to safely shut down the motors.
2015-12-21
Use props
lgonzalezj
New

Spain

It makes sense. Thanks to all.
2015-12-21
Use props
juanpaulofloren
lvl.2

Malaysia

Tried it on the simulator earlier and it seems it does shut off mid-air.. Interesting that the simulator should mirror real life flying as close as possible...
2015-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules