AMA Urging not to Register with FAA
2479 34 2015-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

The AMA urging people not to register just yet.
"Dear AMA Members,
Yesterday, the AMA Executive Council unanimously approved an action plan to relieve and further protect our members from unnecessary and burdensome regulations. This plan addresses the recently announced interim rule requiring federal registration of all model aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.
AMA has long used a similar registration system with our members, which we pointed out during the task force deliberations and in private conversations with the FAA. As you are aware, AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule. AMA has also argued that the new registration rule runs counter to Congress' intent in Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, otherwise known as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft."
The Council is considering all legal and political remedies to address this issue. We believe that resolution to the unnecessary federal registration rule for our members rests with AMA's petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. This petition, filed in August 2014, asks the court to review the FAA's interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The central issue is whether the FAA has the authority to expand the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft; thus, allowing the agency to establish new standards and operating criteria to which model aircraft operators have never been subject to in the past.
In promulgating its interim rule for registration earlier this week, the FAA repeatedly stated that model aircraft are aircraft, despite the fact that litigation is pending on this very question. The Council believes the FAA's reliance on its interpretation of Section 336 for legal authority to compel our members to register warrants the Court's immediate attention to AMA's petition.
While we continue to believe that registration makes sense at some threshold and for flyers operating outside of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes, we also strongly believe our members are not the problem and should not have to bear the burden of additional regulations. Safety has been the cornerstone of our organization for 80 years and AMA's members strive to be a part of the solution.
As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA's legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.
Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.
In the near future, we will also be asking our members to make their voices heard by submitting comments to the FAA's interim rule on registration. We will follow-up soon with more detailed information on how to do this.
Thank you for your continued support of AMA. We will provide you with more updates as they become available.
Kind regards,

The AMA Executive Council
What do you think???

2015-12-21
Use props
koine777
lvl.2

United States

Respectfully, it's a waste of time.
2015-12-21
Use props
RC Noob
lvl.2

United States

I am going to wait until Feb 19 to give the AMA as much time as I can.
2015-12-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

We will see! I am a member and registered today anyway.
2015-12-21
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-12-22 06:55

Good boy!   You'll make a good gubbment snubbie   
2015-12-21
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

I did the reg, it is free. But I will wait and see if my 40 model planes all with AMA#s need this new number as well. If not great if they do then I will add a second label. No big deal, but I hope the AMA is successful in their effort.

BTW did you notice you have to agree to abide by the 400' AGL and always in visual sight regs when you click the agree button. And a few other common sense ones as well.

The B4YouFly is a great tool as well I suggest everyone download it and start using it. I have been using the Beta version for a while now and it is very informative.

I have 2 N-Numbered MRs and I will not be adding this label to them, but all my hobby models will get them unless the AMA # will do.
2015-12-21
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-21
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-12-21 20:27
Why does the AMA feel they are immune to the FAA registration? Is it the five bucks theyre worried ...

No it is not the $5.00 it is that for 80 years the AMA has run clubs that teach safe and responsible RC flying, and the members have put their AMA#s on their aircraft voluntarily. It is all in a database already.

Most of us not only put our AMA#s but also contact info.

So in essence the AMA has been teaching and enforcing safe flight and registration to all their members successfully for 8 decades, before the "drone revolution" RC aircraft were  never in the news as a danger to the public, that can't be said now. It would be nice if the FAA recognized this and let us keep our system. A lot of members actually put the AMA # on their planes like scale N-numbers on full scale planes. It will be less confusing if only one number were on these models.

But as I stated I got my registration and will be happy to use it unless the FAA agrees to incorporate the AMA#s into their database. I will just wait until the last day to put double markings on my models.
2015-12-21
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-12-21 17:55

As did I. Hit a couple of glitches and finally just created a totally separate ID/email to handle the FAA requirements.

Just wish the registry number wasn't half the alphabet! Egads!

Art - N4J
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-21
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-12-21 20:27
Why does the AMA feel they are immune to the FAA registration? Is it the five bucks theyre worried ...

Some months back I joined the AMA simply because the clubs in my vicinity require AMA membership to fly at their club sites.

Kind of enjoy the magazine that came with the membership. There's an annual fee - I received a slight reduction as a certified senior citizen. It's a devil of a lot more than $5!

Supposedly the AMA insurance program is part of what they offer. Honestly, I've never examined the full scope of their insurance and what it actually covers - and if any of the coverage is liability.

I did find it surprising that the FAA lumped all the fixed wing models in with the quads. Oh, that's right - this is a guvmint thing!
2015-12-21
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-12-21
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-12-21
Use props
skymaker6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49009 ft
United States

Maybe you should take a look at this video: Funny, but should be PG 13 or higher:

2015-12-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

skymaker6 Posted at 2015-12-22 13:34
Maybe you should take a look at this video: Funny, but should be PG 13 or higher:

Drone Registratio ...

Sorry, but if I ever see that Hitler over-dubbing thing again it will be too soon.
2015-12-21
Use props
skymaker6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49009 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-12-21 18:41
Sorry, but if I ever see that Hitler over-dubbing thing again it will be too soon.

Sorry, I did know it was out there.. :-(
2015-12-21
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-12-21 21:14
So the big stink is all about double markings and or changing numbers on planes? Again, im being se ...

To be perfectly honest with you. The rank and file of AMA members are very angry at drone operators, they caused this FAA regulation by flagrantly flying without common sense and bragging about it on YouTube etc.

This is after 80 years of AMA clubs and members flying w/o any need for regulation. So yes there is a lot of anger at drones and the FAA for lumping all RC planes in with drones.

How do I know, I am the President of a AMA Gold Leader Club and a Leader member and instructor for the AMA, and a member of 3 AMA clubs. I meet a lot of AMA flyers. I know of a few who are just leaving the hobby because of all this. And there is a lot of resentment at MR operators, some clubs just don't want them.

I fly MRs myself I have 4 with cameras, 2 with N-numbers and think they are great. And encourage the use of them and like teaching new drone pilots good flying skills and responsible operation. I do this often at our field. I also help a lot of MR operators fix their problems. That is part of what we do at the clubs. But as I said not all in the AMA are thrilled by MRs.
2015-12-21
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-12-21
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-12-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Rebel Posted at 2015-12-22 14:10
Dont say youre sorry. He's just a bitter old man. Thanks for the link.

Don't' take any notice of him, he is just an obnoxious twat.
2015-12-21
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-12-21
Use props
the great octom
lvl.1
United States

http://registry.faa.gov/CurrentR ... tion=2&PageNo=1

Might wanna use a PO Box address if you register. If it even lets you.
2015-12-21
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I can't see what the Big problem is.
2015-12-21
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

We give out more info on ourselves every time we use our Credit Cards at our chossen shopping centre combined with our store loyalty cards every weekly shop. If you don't fly like an Idiot in places that common sense tells you that you shouldn't fly, then you are not Mature enough to own a drone. It's like, if your driving your car and the police are behind you, your calm with no thoughts or worry. If you are not legal to drive, no insurance, drunk, drugs,wanted by the law etc, You will Shat yourself if a police car is behind you.
Bottom line, if you don't have anything to hide, all this won't bother you in the slightest bit.
Get a grip guys, the FAA are not the gustapo wanting to line you up against a wall to shoot you.....
2015-12-22
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-12-21 21:20
Being an AMA member already,why arent you putting up a stink about having to register with the FAA? ...

Truthfully? I've been an AMA member for less than a year. To paraphrase Shakespeare "...methinks they doth protest too much."

(A) I'm not sure I could tell you a true benefit I've gained from being a member of the AMA.
(B) I don't understand why they're making such a fuss either.

I put my new registration numbers on my Phantom and Chroma and printed out my paper copy, reiinforced it with some plastic tape and stuck it in my wallet.

Never did have my AMA # on any of my craft, so there was plenty of room. A few weeks ago I lost a small glider. Pilot error, pure and simple. I flew downwind, got too high, the wind got too strong and I lost it is some trees. It must be stuck way up in a tree. Ironically, that's the only thing I own that had my name and cell number written on it!

It was my stupidity and my loss.

A few weeks ago I was flying at my local park. A guy asked me how I felt about registration. I told him if someone bitched to me I would go home, get my gun, come back and shoot them! He actually backed away from me until I told him I was joking.

I do own a gun, possess a "carry" permit but seldom actually carry the gun around. Hey! I live in Florida where we're being overwhelmed by senior citizens! LOL (I'm 71, so all I'm doing is contributing to "the "graying" of our country.

At the moment, I see the registration "issue" as a nuisance. When drone-flying stops being fun, I'll fall back to my amateur radio.
2015-12-22
Use props
Skooter
lvl.1

United States

"the AMA Executive Council unanimously approved an action plan to relieve and further protect our members from unnecessary and burdensome regulations."

Burdensome. Really? Entering your name, address and email doesn't seem too burdensome or time consuming.
2015-12-22
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a turf issue, and well meaning.
If the AMA gives out numbers, and keeps records of it, and will release names and addresses of offenders to the offended, then there is no need for the FAA's system.
However, I doubt the AMA will give all that out to non-members at least, whereas on the FAA web site, that info is for all to see.
AND IT IS FREE IF YOU DO IT NOW!
So now if you register with the FAA and see helicopters circling over your head after you accidentally went up to 420 feet, you may wish the AMA had prevailed in its suggestions.
2015-12-22
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Westside Osprey Posted at 2015-12-21 21:57
To be perfectly honest with you. The rank and file of AMA members are very angry at drone operator ...

None of this is meant to be argumentative, but I do have some "devil's advocate" type of questions and observations about your statements.

80 years of AMA teaching safe and responsible flying.
That's a plus. However, it still hasn't stopped accidents and injuries. A quick google search shows plenty of problems. Any hobby like this involves an element of risk/danger which is unavoidable. One could argue that drones present a bigger potential risk in the future, but history shows traditional RC aircraft to have a much worse safety record (death and injury) than the "drones" we are discussing.

I have no doubt you run a safe club and teach safe flying. There is no guarantee that other clubs are as diligent. I am a member of other clubs (non-flying related) that participate in potentially dangerous activities. I even run my own club. Safety is taught and strictly enforced. Having said that, I have been to events run by other clubs and am amazed by what I see. Some, I refuse to go back to due to highly lax safety procedures. The national organizations have no real ability to enforce these things at the local level. I would be surprised if AMA was any different.

Also,  there is no requirement I can find for someone to join a local club and/or participate in safety training. Anyone can go online and, if you pay the money, you are an AMA member.

AMA members angry at drone operators. Resentment of MR operators - some clubs just don't want them
I see where they are coming from, but I think this resentment is misplaced. IMO, this has more to do with the "clique" nature of the hobby and a complete aversion to change. A turf war, as mentioned by another poster. No doubt, it takes skill to build and fly a model aircraft. It takes considerably less time and skill to buy a ready made copter, charge a battery and put it into auto takeoff/hover mode. Where the problem lies is that the hardcore AMA folks take a superior attitude. Somehow, their "old tech" aircraft makes them better. I imagine they had to walk to school barefoot everyday in the snow-uphill both ways. It's an old story, but they need to get over it.  In my town we have baseball, football, lacrosse and soccer often "competing" over the same fields. Each considers their sport to be better and more worthy than the others. This allows the field owners to pit one against the other. Smart move would be to accept each other and work together.

AMA members already have their information on file and should be able to avoid the FAA registration process.

Sounds good, but there are problems. AMA is a private club. I have no obligation to provide them with correct and accurate information. They have no real way to verify the information I provided is correct. Registering with the government agency brings more accountability to the information process. Relying on a third party for accurate information could also bring liability to that organization for providing wrong data. Having registration through AMA does provide some potential benefit... you could lie on the AMA application and the government can only go after AMA, not you.

As minor as it sounds, the numbers themselves are an issue. The FAA is generating numbers with their own system. That numbering system does not match the AMA system. This would create a mismatch between the two. There is also the issue of a person who registers with the FAA now and joins the AMA later. Will the AMA then allow their membership number to be the FAA number? What happens when an AMA member doesn't renew AMA membership? Will they have to reapply with the FAA for a new FAA issued number?

I can definitely see the AMA point - their members would have to add a number to all their aricraft. Looking at this from an FAA perspective, I don't see any benefit in using AMA numbers, only additional work to reconcile the two numbering systems.

Frankly, I think the AMA took the wrong road on this. They fueled an "us vs them" attitude, which has and will continue to backfire.

2015-12-22
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2015-12-22 12:14
None of this is meant to be argumentative, but I do have some "devil's advocate" type of questions  ...

Not arguing with you at all. Just a few points.

In order to fly at an AMA club (without a buddy box, this is how we teach, two TXs so the instructor can take over  to save the model when student gets in trouble) you have to be current AMA member and either join the club or fly as a guest. To fly as either a guest or a member a safety officer will check you out before you are allowed to fly, and if you fly recklessly we revoke your privileges even if you belong to the club.

Clubs differ on guest privileges but all have to be a minimum of AMA current and checked out. Clubs have FunFly days and special events when other club members are allowed to fly sometimes for a landing fee. My club does this every month and we have a special FloatFly once a year, this is very popular and often brings in hundreds of spectators to see model amphibious aircraft models.

It is true that there are a number of injuries every year, most have to do with prop strikes when starting planes. Interestingly, I see more injuries from electric motors than Nitro planes, even though many still hand prop them to start, though most now use electric starters. The problem with electrics are they are quiet and if you bump the throttle it spins up, happens easily. It is good that DJI has the safe start procedure, so it is almost impossible to spin props inadvertently.

The most common reason to loose a model is loss of orientation and stalling, this is what leads to  "the walk of shame" most often. There are very strict rules about where you can fly and how to behave in the pits. And there is a spectator area that is the only place visitors are allowed to watch from. Each club differs in layout but the AMA has guidelines, and if not followed the charter for the club can be revoked.

Some old pilots hate electric models, but that is getting to be less so these days. I see MRs as being much more acceptable now as well. The hobby is changing and so are the clubs. A lot of RC model flyers are also model builders and in the past the new foam models were really frowned upon, but they are now really prevalent and some are very well made with fantastic scale looks, so they are becoming a new accepted part to the hobby. However there are a lot of traditionalists that look down on anything not fueled by nitro or gas and not made from balsa and covering.

My point is the hobby is changing and MRs are certainly part of it, and the old fashioned clubs are accepting these newfangled things like electric motors and packing foam aircraft, some grudgingly but we are coming around.

Eventually everyone will deal with this new registration process as well and just go back to flying and building and stop grumbling. It is a great hobby. And I am not saying everyone should join the AMA, but if you do you may find there is a lot more to this hobby then MRs. And a lot of camaraderie and challenges as well.

Any way have a great Xmas and fly often and safely.
2015-12-22
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-21 21:02
As did I. Hit a couple of glitches and finally just created a totally separate ID/email to handle  ...

I think the letters are there of future numbers?
2015-12-22
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-21 21:08
Some months back I joined the AMA simply because the clubs in my vicinity require AMA membership t ...

The Insurance is the biggest benefit. That is why I joined.
2015-12-22
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2015-12-21 18:26
Good boy!   You'll make a good gubbment snubbie

The $5.00 is a whole lot less than the $27,000 fine for not being registered.
2015-12-22
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2015-12-22 11:14
None of this is meant to be argumentative, but I do have some "devil's advocate" type of questions  ...

Very well thought out articulate, thought provoking, interesting discussion by both you and Westside Osprey!   This is the kind of stuff I love to read about, learn something new, a different way of seeing things.   I REALLY dislike the baiting, cussing, vitriolic discussions here sometimes.  It's a complete waste of my time and  I am sure more than few other members.  I stick it out because sometimes there interesting real discussion like you two just had.  I thank you two and many others for that!     (just so you know, I am no school girl, I do my share of venting, just on not a public forum)
2015-12-22
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-12-22 14:29
Very well thought out articulate, thought provoking, interesting discussion by both you and Westsid ...

I can't stand the  childish name-calling either. It serves no purpose. Some people seem to get off being keyboard commandos.

Thanks for your comment, and thanks to Westside Osprey for taking my comments in the friendly sprit they were intended. Some good points were made.
2015-12-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-1-16 14:50
Here is the beginning of the end ... Mandatory insurance, and licensing... this will be just the sta ...

You know they're nuts in California. California protects it's butt by warning you that every substance known to man will kill you or babies. They are the laughing stock of the Western World.
2016-1-16
Use props
Jptsrone
lvl.2
United States

Still don't get what the big deal is. Registration took all of 2 minutes and it was free.
2016-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules