Question for anyone who has experience with the original Inspire 1 and osmo
1170 18 2015-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nalhutta
lvl.2
Flight distance : 138156 ft
Canada

Editing with answers under questions in bold as they are learned for anyone elses reference who may be interested in these answers!

Hello,

I have V1 of the Inspire 1 and am interested in getting the Osmo without the camera as we supposedly can use our inspire camera on that. I have a few questions that need clearing up before I do that though and am looking for advice from anyone with first hand knowledge.

1. Is the Osmo Camera and the Inspire Camera the same? (focal length, aperture, features, both X3 right?)

2. Is an adapter needed for the Inspire Camera to fit on Osmo?
- "No" As answered below.

3. Has anyone used an iPad mini2 with the Osmo? (I know the holder won't support it but I figure it should still work with it as it runs the app. I only have an iphone 5 and don't think the GO app works on that)
- "Yes the ipad mini2 should work as it connects wirelessly"

4. "When used with the DJI GO app, you get access to intelligent shooting modes like Automatic Panorama and Timelapse." Does this mean the X3 from the Inspire can't do that?

Thanks to anyone who can pitch in with some knowledge. I really appreciate it.

P.S. Here is my latest video shot with the Inpire. I think I'm finally getting better with shooting and editing.

2015-12-27
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Okay,

I have the Inspire 1 V1 and the OSMO with camera.
1, yes the iPad mini 2 works with the OSMO, because the OSMO uses WiFi to connect you can hold the iPad close by or have a helper.
2, I cannot answer if the X3 works with the OSMO but the firmware has been released and updated to allow this camera to work now.
3, No you do not need a adaptor to connect the X3 camera to the OSMO only for the X5
4, Not all of the camera modes are available for the OSMO but most likely they will update these in the future firmware. Yes, the camera settings are there similar to the Inspire settings (just not all of them) Panorama 180* and 360* and time-lapse are available for the OSMO. pretty fun to play with. The GO App stiches the photo together for you and saves it under the photos folder.

Rich
2015-12-27
Use props
nalhutta
lvl.2
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-12-27 20:44
Okay,

I have the Inspire 1 V1 and the OSMO with camera.

Hey Rich,

Thanks for answering what you could there. It's very helpful. Have you noticed any differences between the osmo camera and the inspire x3? (other than one is black and 1 is white) I heard rumors that the Osmo camera is better than the inspire for it's purpose because the Inpire X3 is focused at infinity due to the nature of filming everything from far away where as the Osmo camera is focused closer in because you are most like shooting close to your subjects.
2015-12-27
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

I have a V1 Inspire and I just received my Osmo handle. So far no problems using the I1 X3 camera. I did the fw upgrades, but not the last one yet.
2015-12-27
Use props
R&L Aerial phot
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The white x3 from my inspire 1 works in my opinion better then the black x3 that comes with the osmo
2015-12-29
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the handle kit and I LOVE IT.

It made me bring out the welder again and am making my own mounts. Its a great tool even if setup/updates are a bit iffy at times.
2015-12-29
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

The the iPhone 6s+ fit the holder?
2015-12-29
Use props
nalhutta
lvl.2
Canada

R&L Aerial phot Posted at 2015-12-29 05:47
The white x3 from my inspire 1 works in my opinion better then the black x3 that comes with the osmo

Hey! So you have tried both and you believe the inspire X3 to be better? Have you used it for video of people that were fairly close?  Do they seem fuzzy? Or is the fixed focus pretty good?
2015-12-30
Use props
nalhutta
lvl.2
Canada

teamnest1 Posted at 2015-12-29 14:20
I have the handle kit and I LOVE IT.

It made me bring out the welder again and am making my own mou ...

Awesome. Making it more tempting to get it! I love hearing positive reviews from the community!
2015-12-30
Use props
nalhutta
lvl.2
Canada

Fred D Posted at 2015-12-27 22:22
I have a V1 Inspire and I just received my Osmo handle. So far no problems using the I1 X3 camera. I ...

Awesome. Let me know if you run in to any troubles!
2015-12-30
Use props
nalhutta
lvl.2
Canada

houston Posted at 2015-12-29 16:40
The the iPhone 6s+ fit the holder?

Sorry, are you asking the other people who have it? Or are you disagreeing with something said here? I don't see anyone saying that. I just checked the product description and didn't see anything about it. So unfortunately I can't answer that!
2015-12-30
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

My iPhone 6+ fits in the holder (with no case) honestly, I went to best buy and bought an inexpensive android "no commitment" phone for Verizon for $100 and it stays in the holder. The osmo x3 vs the inspire x3: from what I understand, there is only one difference, and that is in the fixed focus. Inspire x3 is infinity while the osmo X3 is "closer" I do not know the distance, and im not 100% sure on it, but would make sense. Look at what each one was made for. Inspire: High in the air looking at things FAR, Osmo: selfie / close up.
2015-12-30
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Also, while not properly or to securely, the ipad mini 2 will fit in the holder, but in portrait orientation
using the Inspire 1 x3 will function exactly the same as the osmo x3, resolution, frame rate (120fps too), pano, ect.
2015-12-30
Use props
nalhutta
lvl.2
Canada

gybo102 Posted at 2015-12-30 19:17
My iPhone 6+ fits in the holder (with no case) honestly, I went to best buy and bought an inexpensiv ...

Thanks for the info Gybo, that one difference you mentioned does make sense as you said but it also worries me. It's the only real concern I have now. Since the whole point of getting the osmo would be fore closer up shots including people or animals, the focus at infinity scares me. Hopefully someone who has both can do some tests and let us know or make a video comparing the 2... actually I'm going to head to youtube and see if that has been done already.
2015-12-30
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

gybo102 Posted at 2015-12-30 22:20
Also, while not properly or to securely, the ipad mini 2 will fit in the holder, but in portrait ori ...

I am going to try that with the Mini2!

Also, I believe the black OSMO camera locks into place and can be unlocked by hand, the White OSMO does not have this function. So I believe its that and the focus are the only real differences.
2015-12-30
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Canada

nalhutta Posted at 2015-12-30 18:33

I am having ZERO issues with using the I1-X3 on the Osmo handle. I use it constantly practicing around the farm. Driving my wife crazy I may add. I have done really close shots chasing the dog, driving her crazy too. I get very clean in focus shots up close and at any distance. My computer won't do 4K so every thing I do is 1080-30fpm or 1080-120fpm. I've mounted it in the truck and got some great day and night driving shots, I mounted it on the tractor and got some very stable shots (I used the bike mount). All in all I am very happy and having a lot of fun walking like a monkey with my Osmo. I feel very lucky not having any of the problems I read about here.
I should add that I bought a second I-1, X3 camera for my Inspire 1 when I bought it (the camera being the lowest thing on the bird, I figured I'd rip that off first) so now I use it as a dedicated Osmo camera.
If I was to complain about something, it would be that the gimbal does not return back to center on the handle when you pan a shot and it's reaction time is too slow, now this could be me and how I set things up, Still learning by the self taught method.
2015-12-31
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Canada

nalhutta Posted at 2015-12-30 18:33

another thing. The sound, first, I've heard videos others have posted where the sound completely sucks, all you can hear is the fan and the gimbal and very little of anything else. I have found that with the set up I'm using I barely hear the fan and the gimbal noise is definitely there, it is not as over bearing like I hear on other videos. The voices of people in the same room are picked up very well, BUT the sound quality still sucks with the internal mic.
2015-12-31
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where did you guys order your Osmo kit from? I see the B&H does not have it in stock yet. Did you get it from DJI? If so, how long did it take to get it from date of order?
2016-1-1
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

nalhutta Posted at 2015-12-31 12:47
Thanks for the info Gybo, that one difference you mentioned does make sense as you said but it als ...

The FIXED focus lens has a very broad range of focus. I prefer the black Xe  camera because it packs nicely into the protective case. Optics wise, no difference from the white X3 cam

The holder takes an iPhone 6+ with Apples cases without issues but I find that sometimes, holding the phone separately or giving it to a partner to hold while filming works too. Makes it easier to carry when, say hiking.
2016-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules