2462 18 2015-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
matthew.jones20
lvl.2
Flight distance : 516886 ft
United States

Hi,

So I live 2 miles from a very small airport in Hanover County, Virginia. Yet, an airport nonetheless.  I have found maps of no fly zones online, and this airport is not on it.  Yet, the different things I read lead me to question.  How do we know where we can and cannot fly?  Are ALL airports surrounded by a 5 mile no fly zone?

Thanks

2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The airports with a red circle around them won't let you fly in them.
Here's a map of all the no-fly zones.
http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly
2015-12-27
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-28 14:47
The airports with a red circle around them won't let you fly in them.
Here's a map of all the no-fly ...

Got to be a little careful in interpreting these no fly-zones as depicted. I'm not sure if the red circle is indeed the "no fly area" but the rules are in Oz at least are that it's 5.5km from the boundary of the aerodrome. (It's a bit more technical than that but that is the practical application of it!). The edge of the red circle in some instances is on or near the runway threshold!
2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

The video on Fly Safe describes the altitude limitation at the edge of a no fly zone.

http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly
2015-12-28
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Your map is very misleading.   It does not show numerous no fly zones and some that are identified on your map just don't make any sense at all.  For example, there is a no fly zone around an 'airport' that doesn't exist.  I know this because I drive through the area and on the exact road where your map says there is an airport.  There is no airport there.  And the local airport which should be a no fly zone is not even identified.  So please don't make statements like: "Here's a map of all the no-fly zones." because the map is incredibly inaccurate.  Seriously, just in the 50 miles around where I live I see 5 errors - 2 airports that are not identified (and are clearly visible as airports on the map) that should be and 3 airports that don't exist.
2015-12-28
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-29 01:49
The video on Fly Safe describes the altitude limitation at the edge of a no fly zone.

http://flysaf ...

Again, this should be viewed with caution as the video references features that are to be implemented in the future (as it very clearly states).
2015-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-12-28 23:59
Your map is very misleading.   It does not show numerous no fly zones and some that are identified o ...

Please email FlySafe@DJI.com whenever you see errors and they will look at them and fix them.
I didn't make the map data restricted zones so I do not know how exactly they did it.
I just know that if errors are found then please report them and they will be fixed.
And what is the airport that you say is not marked with a red circle?
2015-12-28
Use props
tcmalker
lvl.1

United States

There is a glitch in GO app which allow flying (even takeoff) in no fly zone.  I will publish my findings in January.   Yeah, yeah, I know DJI is supposed to come out with the Geo fence thingy that let you fly in no fly zone if you provide them with your credit card.  Maybe they will maybe they won't, but this glitch works now and doesn't require you to provide credit card info.  Stay tuned.
2015-12-28
Use props
TrynFlyn
lvl.1

United States

The FAA is clear that an airport is an airport regardless of large, small, public, private, control tower, no tower, concrete runway, grass ect. The NFZ's in the GO app are implemented by DJI and have nothing to do with FAA regulations.
You must contact the airport operator OR control tower (if it has a control tower) and advise them of your intended flight if within a 5 mile radius from the center of the runway.   
2015-12-28
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Same here. emailed dji and they said they would take a look but never did. the airport is in whistler BC cabada, on Greenlake and it's called whistler air
2015-12-28
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Michael M Posted at 2015-12-28 18:21
Same here. emailed dji and they said they would take a look but never did. the airport is in whistle ...

*****canada
2015-12-28
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-28 15:50
Please email  whenever you see errors and they will look at them and fix them.
I didn't make the m ...

There are two within 10 miles of my house and neither are on your map:
Harriman and West Airport, North Adams, MA
William H. Morse State Airport, Bennington, VT

I have emailed these errors and nothing has changed.  It has been weeks.  I also emailed the detailed locations of the three airports that DON'T EXIST and they are still marked on the map.  So again, please don't say things like : "email so and so and they will be fixed" because they are not.  
2015-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I will copy your info and forward it to FlySafe. Can you post the detailed locations of the three airports that don't exist but have no fly zones.
Let's see if I can get them fixed.
2015-12-29
Use props
Bill Blevins
New

United States

Hanover Airport shows on: https://app.airmap.io/ when searching for Hanover, VA. I live near there too. It is a busy little airport. In 2015 they averaged 98 flights per day.

2015-12-29
Use props
gcvisel
New

United States

tcmalker Posted at 2015-12-28 18:33
There is a glitch in GO app which allow flying (even takeoff) in no fly zone.  I will publish my fin ...

It's January...  ;-)  Any progress?
2016-1-1
Use props
tcmalker
lvl.1

United States

gcvisel Posted at 2016-1-1 10:51
It's January...  ;-)  Any progress?

Hey!  Happy new year!

I was waiting for DJI to finalize their geo-fence thingy so they won't be able to fix the glitch in their next GO app or firmware.  I thought they would be done in December, that's why I chose January to post my findings.  Don't worry!  There is a way around this no-fly zone thingy without having to give DJI your email, phone # and credit card.  Can you guys wait a few more days?  
2016-1-1
Use props
gcvisel
New

United States

tcmalker Posted at 2016-1-1 14:19
Hey!  Happy new year!

I was waiting for DJI to finalize their geo-fence thingy so they won't be a ...

We'll wait, I guess...

I have another question about it though.  When I try to fly at our little grass strip airport, I get the No Fly Zone message and the props will not start.  However, at http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock, it says we are just a warning zone, not an authorization zone.  Is there a way past the message in this situation?
2016-1-1
Use props
gcvisel
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-29 08:44
I will copy your info and forward it to FlySafe. Can you post the detailed locations of the three ai ...

How do you contact "FlySafe"?  When I try to fly at our little grass strip airport, I get the No Fly Zone message and the props will not start.  However, at http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock, it says we are just a warning zone, not an authorization zone, so there is no way to unlock it.  Is there a way past the message in this situation?
2016-1-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

gcvisel Posted at 2016-1-5 06:39
How do you contact "FlySafe"?  When I try to fly at our little grass strip airport, I get the No F ...

You can email FlySafe@DJI.com and tell them your concern. They can unlock the area if it will not let you fly there at all.
2016-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules