Phantom 3 Professional Went Crazy and Crashed after Update 1.6
4816 37 2015-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
erik
lvl.1

United States

I went to fly my Phantom 3 Pro today after doing the update last night.  Everything looked fine prior to starting the motors and even immediately after takeoff.  Then the aircraft went crazy and flew away, spinning all over the place!  It was rapidly going away from me and headed towards some people and homes!  I shut off the motors to prevent any damage to others or to property.  the Phantom 3 promptly fell to the ground and broke the Phantom and the camera snapped off.  I'm just glad nobody got injured!
I'm super bummed and frustrated this happened.  This should not be occuring with this level of equipment.  I have a bunch of time on it as you can see in the video and have owned to Phantom 2's prior to this.

DJIFlightRecord_2015-12-28_[12-08-09].rar

7.03 KB, Down times: 6

Flight Record File

2015-12-28
Use props
IMI193
lvl.3

United States

Did you switch to ATTI mode ? Did you appear to ever have control be for it went crazy ?

That's scary.
2015-12-28
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136946 ft
United States

Well that's a bummer.  Que up  the cookie cutter questions everyone will be asking:  "did you calibrate the compas, do a cold IMU calibration, make sure props were on correctly/tight, check sensor readings  in GO prior to take off, was it in ATTI Mode or P, did it have GPS lock?" If yes to all, then I suspect an ESC failure on one of the motors.  
2015-12-28
Use props
tnhwyman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347697 ft
United States

I upgraded my P3P a few minutes ago. I plan to do the IMU cal and Compass cal tomorrow. This question is not to put you into defense mode, but did you do the IMU calibration and compass dance prior to liftoff?  Was your sensors in the 1400 range, and on your map screen was the unit pointing in the same direction as your map showed? Also it might help you and us if you upload your flight records log onto HealthyDrone.com so you can have additional data. Sorry to hear and see this happen to you.
2015-12-28
Use props
IMI193
lvl.3

United States

tnhwyman@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-29 00:11
I upgraded my P3P a few minutes ago. I plan to do the IMU cal and Compass cal tomorrow. This questi ...

"on your map screen was the unit pointing in the same direction as your map showed"

Thanks, my checklist is getting longer every day, need to remember that one.
2015-12-28
Use props
bobcat50
lvl.2
Flight distance : 353064 ft
United States

I've uploaded the log file provided by erik to Healthy Drones. Link below.
Log File

Is it possible there was contact with the roof of the building?
2015-12-29
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Sorry about that crash . Please contact US support center about it and request a data analysis for that .
North America Support.jpg
2015-12-29
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

Everything looked normal after the update.  I'm not sure about the sensors in the 1400 range.  I'm not familiar with what that means.  It didn't show any issues at startup.  It was in the "P" mode.  I had GPS lock.  It didn't contact the building at all.  It flew in weird circles about 10-15' across as it was spinning out of control.  I had just done the previous update a week or two prior and everything was okay until this update.  looking back at the flight record, the direction the quad was facing looks similar to the direction I had it facing.  There were no initial issues at takeoff.  After it started going up over 6 feet or so, it did make a weird sound as though one motor was pushing harder than the others.  A sound I had not heard before.  I had no control once that happened.

DJI-Patrick, I sent an email to the support center.  It did not have this much info or that video link, though.

Thanks for the info and feedback everyone!
2015-12-29
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136946 ft
United States

ESC failure IMO
2015-12-29
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

Agree, the weird sound could be ESC/Motor failure. Did you tried to switch to ATTI mode and get control of the craft?(when is compass interference it can save your ass)
2015-12-29
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

LordNeo Posted at 2015-12-29 18:09
Agree, the weird sound could be ESC/Motor failure. Did you tried to switch to ATTI mode and get cont ...

I didn't switch modes. It happened very quickly and I was mostly concerned with the safety of people nearby. I tried a couple quick actions with the remote as can be seen in the flight record video.
2015-12-29
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

erik@slolandsca Posted at 2015-12-30 00:23
Everything looked normal after the update.  I'm not sure about the sensors in the 1400 range.  I'm n ...

Please remember to upload the .DAT file and send them a download link . The flight data would be of great help .
2015-12-29
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-29 18:59
Please remember to upload the .DAT file and send them a download link . The flight data would be o ...

I'm not sure what the .DAT file is.  where do I find that?

Thank you
2015-12-30
Use props
nigelwilkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

That looks like a main board issue to me.  Looking at the playback it switches between P-GPS & P-ATTI several times & the altitude's all over the place...it clearly doesn't know where it is.  Good work & quick thinking bringing it down safely!
2015-12-30
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

nigelwilkins Posted at 2015-12-30 11:45
That looks like a main board issue to me.  Looking at the playback it switches between P-GPS & P-ATT ...

The altitude and speed are all over the place.  The horizontal speed and vertical speed show the same speed as each other most of the time. Weird!
2015-12-30
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

it looks like you was in atti mode then the wind blow the quad  and then you shot the motorso off and crash

2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

After updating the firmware, did you calibrate the IMU and calibrate the compass?
Here's how to upload the DAT file, attach the last file to Dropbox and give the Dropbox file to customer support or post it here and I will try to have the data analyzed to see exactly what happened.
Watching the video it does look strange, it shows no yaw, bank or roll input at all until the CSC.

2015-12-30
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

https://drive.google.com/a/missi ... Wc/view?usp=sharing

Hopefully this works for the link for the .DAT file.
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

erik@slolandsca Posted at 2015-12-31 03:25
I'm not sure what the .DAT file is.  where do I find that?

Thank you

Please remember to attach the link to your email ticket .
2016-1-4
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-4 01:04
Please remember to attach the link to your email ticket .

Since sending in my drone, I was emailed an invoice to fix it.  I disagree with their findings and have wanted to talk to someone about it.  I've sent multiple emails and called DJI and have not been able to talk to someone about my Drone.  I have not gotten any response to the emails I have sent.  Is this normal?
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

erik@slolandsca Posted at 2016-1-15 04:17
Since sending in my drone, I was emailed an invoice to fix it.  I disagree with their findings and ...

Please give me your ticket number . I'll check that for you .
2016-1-14
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

nigelwilkins Posted at 2015-12-31 06:45
That looks like a main board issue to me.  Looking at the playback it switches between P-GPS & P-ATT ...

erik - sorry for the crash, I really hope you/we all get to know the root cause of the issue.

I want to say - WELL DONE!!!   You acted as a Responsible Pilot, and should be commended for thinking quickly and bringing the bird down before it did any harm to People and/or property!.... Its because of Pilots like you that give our hobby a "Hope for the Future!"

Looks like that this is the instance knowing how to use CSC to kill motors in the air worked to "Safely" bring the Quad down.

Cheers.
2016-1-14
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-14 18:08

Thank you Patrick.  I appreciate it.  My RMA is:  1230201551089238331
2016-1-14
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

2016-1-14
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-14 18:31
erik - sorry for the crash, I really hope you/we all get to know the root cause of the issue.

I wa ...

Thank you p3p1!  I hope to find out what the root cause was as well!  I certainly don't want it happening to me or anyone else again!  

I'm glad I was able to get it out of the air before it hurt something/someone!

Cheers
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

erik@slolandsca Posted at 2016-1-15 11:53

Erik,
I looked into it since it's in the US, I can see it came in last Monday but I don't have the repair info on my home computer so Patrick will have to give you a repair status.
2016-1-14
Use props
countrysidegard
lvl.2

United States

Wow, curious to hear the outcome on this one. Sorry for your loss, I do hope dji makes good on it. Good work preventing injury I know that wasn't easy to csc in mid air knowing what was inevitability about to happen.
2016-1-14
Use props
nrechtman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1555344 ft
United States

erik@slolandsca Posted at 2016-1-15 04:17
Since sending in my drone, I was emailed an invoice to fix it.  I disagree with their findings and ...

How much did they want to charge you for the repair? Don't forget to tell us he final outcome
2016-1-14
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-14 20:21
Erik,
I looked into it since it's in the US, I can see it came in last Monday but I don't have the ...

Thank you Ken
2016-1-15
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

countrysidegard Posted at 2016-1-14 21:06
Wow, curious to hear the outcome on this one. Sorry for your loss, I do hope dji makes good on it. G ...

Shutting the motors off in the air was not a fun thing to do at all, but it made sense for safety reasons.
2016-1-15
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

nrechtman Posted at 2016-1-14 22:41
How much did they want to charge you for the repair? Don't forget to tell us he final outcome

Here is the invoice they sent me.  Lots of parts to replace!

Repair Invoice

Repair Invoice
2016-1-15
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

Business as usual at DJI
2016-1-15
Use props
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
Bermuda

Super-responsible operator action, there. Kudos.
DJI - what do you think about operators trying a lightly tethered hover test after upgrades?
Tim
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

tim.hulse Posted at 2016-1-16 01:01
Super-responsible operator action, there. Kudos.
DJI - what do you think about operators trying a li ...

As long as you go a IMU calibration on a perfectly level surface and a good compass calibration outside away from metal and no keys/phone in your pocket you will be fine to fly. I don't think a tether is needed.
If the IMU and compass have good calibration, when you get into a hover the aircraft will sit in one spot (GPS mode) within the specs.
2016-1-15
Use props
RemVNO
New

Lithuania

Guys, any ideas why altitude dropped from 39ft (above the roof) to -(minus) 169ft at the crash site??
2016-1-15
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

Patrick,

Any word on this bird?  As of yet, nobody has responded to either of my two emails.  I've only been sent an invoice.  When I called in, they did not make it feasible to talk to someone about my specific drone.  It's been there for a couple of weeks now and I'm getting really frustrated.  Even if I took my car into the dealer for something that I think should be under warranty, they would at least talk to me about it, especially if they wanted nearly half the initial cost of the vehicle to repair it.  What route am I supposed to go with this to come to some sort of conclusion?  I don't feel like I'm asking for anything outlandish.

Thank you.
2016-1-19
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

erik@slolandsca Posted at 2016-1-20 07:34
Patrick,

Any word on this bird?  As of yet, nobody has responded to either of my two emails.  I' ...

Hi . Sorry to keep you waiting . They are reaching out to repair team for revaluation .
2016-1-20
Use props
erik
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-20 01:36
Hi . Sorry to keep you waiting . They are reaching out to repair team for revaluation .

Thank you for checking on it for me
2016-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules