Does anyone use PolarPro push on filters on the P3 Standard?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scottbranine
New

United States

I have done every kind of search of the forum that I can think of to find the answer to this question. I know that the pro and advanced P3 take screw on filters.
I am waiting on my standard to arive and would like to have a set of filters for it before I start flying and filming.
The only filters that I can find that will fit the standard are from PolarPro.  69.99 from Amazon for a Polarizer and two ND filters. There are no helpful reviews there for the filters for the P3 standard, lots for the pro and advanced.
I use Polarizer and ND filters on all of DSLR lenses.
Any input would be most helpful and apreciated.

2016-1-3
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

First, know why you should be using filters. Many people just buy them because everyone else seems to be. There are so many videos posted with them being used incorrectly.

Yes on using ND filters if you are looking to get a cinematic motion blur effect. ND filters are the only way to "stop down" the lens to achieve some desired shutter speed (e.g., shutter speed 2x frame rate) since the aperture is fixed.

They are not needed for still photography as you can adjust the shutter speed to let in more or less light.

Polarizers as you know only work when at 90 degrees to the sun. Since the camera is constantly moving they really make no sense for video since your sky will be alternating light and dark as the aircraft moves. They are not very effective for stills either unless you are going to be shooting in only one direction. For stills it's best to get a good exposure and do the rest in post.

My opinion on fit over glass filters for the Standard is that they are too heavy. The camera and gimbal on a Phantom seem to be a delicately balanced precision instrument. Adding 8.5 grams to the front of the camera (according to Amazon) seems like a lot of weight and possibly stressing the gimbal motor not designed for the added weight. I have seen some people adding counter weights to the back of the camera to bring it back into balance which seems like an even worse idea. I have no evidence of any of this being true and plenty of folks use these filters I think. I just see how delicate the whole apparatus is and I would hate to mess with it. This is one of the reasons I returned my Standard and went with the Advanced.
2016-1-3
Use props
Dacon Productio
lvl.2

United States

Where have you seen screw-on filters for P3P. I have a Phantom 3 Pro and the camera has NO threads in front to attach any filters or hoods.
2016-1-3
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Dacon Productio Posted at 2016-1-3 18:09
Where have you seen screw-on filters for P3P. I have a Phantom 3 Pro and the camera has NO threads i ...

If you have a Pro then you have a removable filter. See that line that goes around the lens? That is the filter. It screws off and then you put a different filter on.
2016-1-3
Use props
hwangsta88
lvl.1

United States

I have these, these are .7 grams and much lighter than the polar pros. also, you can get the precise number of stops you need.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-DJI-Phantom-3-Neutral-Density-filter-Kit-ND-Press-Fit-No-Tools-Needed-/271998901631?hash=item3f5465dd7f:g:uSkAAOSwMmBViIZo
2016-1-3
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Scott,

I am sure you figured this out already, but just in case:

Phantom 3 Standard Filters-These are a push-on design as their is no removable UV filter

Phantom 3 Pro, ADV, 4K- These are screw on filters as the stock UV filter is removable

Let us know if you have any questions,

Jeff
2016-4-29
Use props
fans3cd44204
New
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2016-4-29 14:21
Hey Scott,

I am sure you figured this out already, but just in case:

Hi, I just used my Polar Pro ND4 yesterday for the first time; for the purpose, they are perfect, you can really see the difference, but I think they are affecting the Gimbal.  Before I put the filter on, I can tilt up, even a few minutes into the flight I can tilt up, then it stops going up (still goes down) and I have to land it, turn it off, restart it for it to tilt up again.  This happened twice.  My ND4 also has a piece of dust stuck under the inside metal, you can see it from the outside of the filter, but I haven't looked at the footage yet to see if it's in the shot.  
2017-9-2
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I have both P3S and P3P ... and I can use the same PUSH-ON filters from NEWEER ...

I find no need to unscrew the existing clear lens cap on my Pro.

Nigel
2017-9-2
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

quadpilot Posted at 2017-9-2 11:09
Hi Nigel
I have just bought a set of 4 NEWEER  nd filters and 4 graduated filters came free with them they are all push on
off ebay for £10.00

I'm no David Bailey ... so I just go by the words I found on internet about when to use ...

After a while - I found I was just leaving them in their pouch in the case. I even 3D printed a box .. never used it !!

I am sure a more experienced photographer would notice difference ...

As to using them - couldn't be easier and I sure do not like the idea of unscrewing the plain lens cap as others suggest !!

Nigel
2017-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules