LIVE NOW 10AM EST ON POINT ON NPR DRONE DISCUSSION
988 13 2016-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

NASA and FAA discussing drones on NPR's On Point. One sided conversation. More media fear and hype. Call in now!

http://onpoint.wbur.org
2016-1-4
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

I don't know if any of you listened. You can later on line or on a rebroadcast on an NPR station. I can't say I am surprised at the way the discussion went, but I am surprised at Tom Ashbrook who usually is an intelligent, insightful journalist. He fell right into the media trap.

I was following the comments on line. Here is one that just got to me:

"what would stop a mentally unstable person from getting their hands on a drone and intentionally trying to sabotage a commercial airplane over a elementary school."

Holy cow! I responded that would be one talented mentally unstable person with some serious math skills to get a jet flying at 500mph at 30,000 feet to land on a school. Plus, that would need to be one hugely expensive custom built drone to even attempt such a thing.

One guy called in and said he got his son a $1,500 drone (bet you can guess what make and model) for Christmas. He said the his son was flying it Christmas morning and it just fell from the sky from 200 feet and crashed. How many things are wrong with this story already? I will bet anything that the kid performed a CSC and crashed the thing and will never know what he did wrong because they just pulled it out of the box and flew it without bothering to learn anything about it. This is the very thing that is going to kill this hobby. The sheer numbers just point to the fact that something terrible is going to happen at the hands of some idiot very soon.

Already since Christmas this forum is peppered with comments and questions from people who obviously are not taking the time to understand anything about their aircraft or how to fly responsibly and safely.

2016-1-4
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-4 11:22
I don't know if any of you listened. You can later on line or on a rebroadcast on an NPR station. I  ...

"will never know what he did wrong because they just pulled it out of the box and flew it without bothering to learn anything about it. This is the very thing that is going to kill this hobby. The sheer numbers just point to the fact that something terrible is going to happen at the hands of some idiot very soon.

Already since Christmas this forum is peppered with comments and questions from people who obviously are not taking the time to understand anything about their aircraft or how to fly responsibly and safely."

Your points are well taken and my response is not intended to dispute them.

My question is, however, what is the answer?

These devices are essentially marketed as toys. Parents are gifting them to their kids as toys. The explosion in popularity is a direct result of the ease of use. They practically fly themselves.

Knowledge is needed, but in reality you CAN open the box, charge the battery and start flying. Not saying you _should_ but you certainly can and still get decent results.

How many parents are really interested in studying about their kids new "toy" and teaching the kid proper operation? How many parents feel they are technically proficient to master this new technology - more likely they feel their kids would make fools out of the parent.
How many people read any manual these days? I ususally lose patience after the first 20 pages of legal disclaimers and absurd safety warnings (i.e. do not place television in bathtub!). Most items require a 10,000 page manual to state "to turn on device, press green button marked "ON." We have been trained to ignore manuals.

At the other extreme is a system limiting the ownership and/or use of these devices. Something like a mandatory training program or a licensing system. Without getting into a debate over such draconian measures, it has the potential to make "drone" flying into a much more limited and smaller hobby. This would affect the companies producing these devices which, in turn, would result in less innovation and fewer options for the consumers.  I highly doubt that DJI would be up to a Phantom "3" or that the technical advances or several control app alternative would exist if not for the tremendous consumer market potential.

It is a shame that the media feels a need to fear monger. It is even more tragic that the public at large buys into this. I am sure that the "fell from sky" Christmas story was common this year. I am also sure that flying machines weren't the only expensive gifts that someone broke in the first 24. There are plenty of gifts that are as, or more dangerous than drones. (Think: "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!")

It is interesting that even with an anecdote like the one presented on NPR, there are still no reports of serious injuries. Even with all the "stupid' things people do, the likelihood of serious injury seems pretty darn low. Further confirmation that the "problem" is manufactured and overstated.

It is a tough situation. No matter what is done, you can't fix stupid. We can only hope the media quickly moves on to the next random item for demonization.
2016-1-4
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2016-1-4 12:23
"will never know what he did wrong because they just pulled it out of the box and flew it without b ...

You are right and I don't think there is an answer.

People get behind the wheel of the car every day, most drive responsibly. Others too fast or recklessly, texting, distracted, drunk, etc. It's not difficult to get a license and many lives are lost due to sheer stupidity.

The DJI box states 18+, but who pays attention to that? My 17 year old son plays GTA V which is a 17+ game. I can't tell you how many little kids I hear talking on their mics playing this game...

The Hoverboard seems to be getting a lot of negative press these days. Hopefully the media will chase that for a little while longer.

However, I do think with the proliferation of drones something tragic will happen very soon at the hands of someone behaving negligently.

I also do not think that the media is going to let go of this one since there are too many big name commercial entities throwing their hats into the ring.
2016-1-4
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

Counterpoint: Drones are the new Lawn Darts. They are a lot more dangerous than any of us want to admit. The drone industry needs to focus on smaller light weight drones with fully autonomous flight if we don't want our favorite hobby regulated to oblivion.

By dangerous, I don't mean "will bring down aircraft". I mean "will slice you to bits or crash into and seriously hurt someone on the ground". Honestly, drones are never fully under our control. They can go wrong at any moment. You have read the forum. You know what is happening on a daily basis. It is only a matter of time when a drone does crash into a crowded schoolyard full of children or somewhere equally newsworthy.

2016-1-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

About the "just open box and fly" I think it would be a cool idea that in order to fly, the app would ask you some basic questions to know if your an experienced multirotor flier and then give you acces to fly if you answer the questions. And if you didn't know the answers, it made you watch a few tutorial videos before it allowed you to fly.Because obviously, a ton of people don't read instructions.
2016-1-4
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

The Hoverboard seems to be getting a lot of negative press these days. Hopefully the media will chase that for a little while longer.

True - and another example of ridiculous free-mongering that I cannot understand.

However, I do think with the proliferation of drones something tragic will happen very soon at the hands of someone behaving negligently.

And I agree. The thing is - that can be said for ANYTHING. Put enough spoons out there and sooner or later common will trip and impale themselves on one. Whether through stupidity or simple accident, these things happen. The only way to prevent it is to ban everything... then people just find something else to get hurt with. Like they say - make something idiot-proof and they simply invent a better idiot.

Counterpoint: Drones are the new Lawn Darts. They are a lot more dangerous than any of us want to admit. The drone industry needs to focus on smaller light weight drones with fully autonomous flight if we don't want our favorite hobby regulated to oblivion.

Point taken. However, just about anything is more dangerous than most people think. Personally, I think drones are LESS dangerous than is being promoted by the media. Debating that is pointless and not my intent. What I will state is that there are MANY other MORE dangerous things in life that deserve more attention than drones are getting at the moment. Not to mention that the FAA has been dragging their collective butts on issuing safety regulations - IMO, the lack of clear and enforceable rules does more to create an unsafe situation.

Smaller and lighter weight sounds good, but how practical is that? You need some weight to maintain stability in light wind. Autonomous sounds very good, but that also increase the likelihood of mechanical malfunction. I realize that the focus is usually on "people doing dumb things." Every machine has the possibility of mechanical failure - it is unavoidable.
2016-1-4
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-4 13:11
About the "just open box and fly" I think it would be a cool idea that in order to fly, the app woul ...

Agreed. Putting the danger component aside. This is not a simple toy. Sure, it is easy to get it into the air. Once airborne, there are a lot of things going on simultaneously that you need to be aware and alert to.

I find it difficult to actually get the video I envision before the start of a flight. I have to be monitoring a lot of different things while trying to get decent video at the same time. At some point it will get easier, but you need to be vigilant in order to operate it safely and responsibly.

It is a very complex piece of equipment that gives you false sense of confidence since DJI has engineered it in such a way that it seems simple. Push a few joysticks and away you go.

I do think that some kind of basic tutorial within the app accompanied by a quiz that you can't just blow through would be good before you can just fly it.
2016-1-4
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

True Ken,

I like the idea to start with a questionnaire before able to fly. It is not only a toy . An drone  is serious stuff. At least "we" can also do something to prevent (as much is possible) crashes.

(Therefore also an suggestion for a option to startup with an in-app checklist in the DJI-app before take-off - easy to use)
2016-1-4
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

It would be unfortunate if the drones become so autonomous as to require no pilot interaction other than pre programming the flight path.  I use my P3 to explore places,  and you cant do that with pre programmed flight routes.  That would ruin a lot of the fun of having a drone.  The media,  and the public at large,  like to have things they can point to and cry "Danger"!!  Because then they can get everyone to focus on that stuff instead of the dangerous things they are doing.  Also,  it seems like most people enjoy bad news,  even if it is just made up nonsense.  Who really knows if all the stories are true?  I sure don't.  Because I was not there.  But I do know that the media is controlled and operated for money,  not to disseminate the truth.  They all have some kind of agenda,  and there are always going to be certain people who will believe anything.  And for those who watch only publicly funded news broadcasts,  I've got news for you.  They are just there to provide the ones who don't like the mainstream media,  and think they are better informed than, for instance,  Fox News viewers.  BTW,  if you check,  Fox News is not even listed as a news organization,  it is listed under Entertainment.  That about sums that up.
Like the " Terrorist Threat " that we all live under these days.  Before that,  it was the " Nuclear Threat " Now we also have the  "Drone Threat ".  And here in America,  we have the longest ever running war,  the "War on Drugs",  which we are clearly losing despite having spent countless billions of dollars putting low level drug addicts in prison for long terms.  And yet,  no one seems pissed off about expired cell phone minutes.  I am.  I want to know why they expire.  How do they go bad,  exactly?  Do they somehow become dangerous to use after the expiration date?  Should I be grateful to T-Mobile for saving me from the potentially fatal consequences of expired minute use?   What do they do with the expired minutes, anyway?  Are they cremated?  Do they have some kind of burial service for them?  If so,  they should notify me so I can attend,  or at least send flowers.  After all,  they were MY minutes.  I don't want them to be expired.  Hey,  I think I get it!  They weren't expired.  They were EUTHANIZED....
2016-1-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-5 05:11
About the "just open box and fly" I think it would be a cool idea that in order to fly, the app woul ...

In principle, a good idea. However the old adage applies: 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'.

If any manufacturer implemented that sort of regimen, it would get around in no time and they would lose sales rapidly, especially in the US market where everyone has a 'right' to own a drone and fly it wherever they like.

And I don't see any savvy manufacturer doing that.
2016-1-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-5 06:44
In principle, a good idea. However the old adage applies: 'You can lead a horse to water, but you  ...

i used to live in Arizona where i can buy a gun with only a background, In California you have to take a test. Maybe one day if the drone thing gets too much more out of control, who knows maybe one day there will be some kind of test requirement.
2016-1-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-5 09:51
i used to live in Arizona where i can buy a gun with only a background, In California you have to  ...

Agreed. Let's hope it does not go that far. What we need more than anything is another sacrificial lamb for the media to go after.
2016-1-4
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

jrm11 Posted at 2016-1-4 13:12
The Hoverboard seems to be getting a lot of negative press these days. Hopefully the media will chas ...

I've been using high powered lithium ion batteries for for eight years. One of the first things you learn is to measure the voltage both before and after charging.

When use in series within a battery pack, well engineered balancing chargers are required as well as the installation of thermistors to monitor the temperature of each cell.

What is happening with the hover board craze is that the foreign companies producing the hover boards are skimping on the charging circuits.

If you talk with any of the people that use high powered flashlights, you learn to never charge a battery unattended. Lithium ion batteries are safe provided you follow some basic safety rules.

I dare to bring up that the country that is producing the majority of the hover boards doesn't respect intellectual property rights and it's a mad scramble to produce for the cheapest price, safety doesn't come into play. Search for melamine being added to products to inflate protein levels and lead paint on kids toys to get an understanding of the issue.

Take a look at ebay for 18650 batteries and look at the inflated milliamp ratings. There are no commercially available 18650 batteries greater than 3600 mAH made. Cells disassembled show flour inside and a tiny battery inside. Don't purchase any battery with *****FIRE in it's name, they're all counterfeit.

I worked in China for a year on very large forgings. The general foreman came behind me to countermand my instructions on production so they only yielded 25% verses the 90+% I got. He was paid by the ton, good or bad. That's life in this part of the world.
2016-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules