Picture sharpnes?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tord
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi,

I just bought a Phantom3 advanced and I love flying with it. However, the picture quality is realy bad, there is not sharpness Then the other day I did som pictures and I saw that on the left side there was sharpness, but not in the middle or to the left. My question, is this normal, may I've an issue with my camera? Anyone got a picuture to share with me showing a good sharpness?

I've attached a picture showing three enlargements on different spots.

cheers, tord

sharpness

sharpness
2016-1-4
Use props
PerlanSwed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1130577 ft
Sweden

Hi Tord

What is your current FW in your AirCraft?
Have you seen if you have self oscillate in the AC when you hovring?
If it self oscillate (vibrate) then try this:
Start the Phantom 3 AND THEN the GO app.
Go into MC Settings (quad icon) > Gain and Expo Tuning > Scroll down to Gain > Set them all default (I noticed there is no default button. default is 100% on all).
Then Exit the GO app first AND THEN power down the P3 (this will write the new settings).
If it still self oscillate then adjust Gain to 90%
Still problem after that then you have to contact support....!
2016-1-4
Use props
tord
lvl.1

Sweden

PerlanSwed Posted at 2016-1-4 17:21
Hi Tord

What is your current FW in your AirCraft?

Thanks Perlan! FW is the latest and greatest. No I don't see any vibrations, the live view looks ok, but that's a much small resolution than RAW out of the camera.  I'll test your suggestion anyway. thanks
2016-1-4
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check your lens to see if there is a smudge on it. I am a professional photographer and I have the same sharpness problem as do most have with these cameras. The quality of the pictures reflex the quality of the lens. you can purchase a $5000 camera body, but if you attach a $60 lens on it....all you have is low quality image taken with a low quality lens attached to a $5000 camera.
2016-1-4
Use props
tord
lvl.1

Sweden

mjlstudios@yaho Posted at 2016-1-4 17:36
Check your lens to see if there is a smudge on it. I am a professional photographer and I have the s ...

thanks, do you have a picture you can share which shows some sharpness? or are all your pictures as unsharp as my?
2016-1-4
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

This looks like a misaligned/de-centred lens to me.  You have sharp details on the left of the frame & out of focus detail on the right, together with chromatic aberration (green/purple fringes).
2016-1-4
Use props
tord
lvl.1

Sweden

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-4 17:49
This looks like a misaligned/de-centred lens to me.  You have sharp details on the left of the frame ...

that's my guess as well, I suppose and need to bring it back to the shop for repair. One should expect better quality then this (I hope)
2016-1-4
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

tord@tabykyrkby Posted at 2016-1-4 11:43
thanks, do you have a picture you can share which shows some sharpness? or are all your pictures a ...

This is the quality I have, its the same I've seen on every image on this forum.

DJI_0001 (3).JPGa.jpg
2016-1-4
Use props
tord
lvl.1

Sweden

mjlstudios@yaho Posted at 2016-1-4 17:58
This is the quality I have, its the same I've seen on every image on this forum.

thanks for the sample much appreciated!. I think this looks better over the picture than my do. As a "wide" angle lens it should look the sharpest in the middle but checking all my pictures they are sharpest to the left and worse on the right hand side.
2016-1-4
Use props
jgilchristmusic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 172024 ft
United States

If it is a lens misalignment wouldn't videos also come out blurry? How do your vids look?
2016-1-4
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

mjlstudios@yaho Posted at 2016-1-4 16:58

This isn't bad at all considering the sensor size in these cameras.  It's no more than a cheap point & shoot in reality.  You need to go up in sensor sizes to get real improvements, which means an Inspire 1 Pro or similar.
2016-1-4
Use props
tord
lvl.1

Sweden

I took a frame showing left/rigth (no adjustments done on WB etc) but it's hard to see since the resolution is that small compared and picture heavliy compress from MP4.

videosample

videosample
2016-1-4
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

tord@tabykyrkby Posted at 2016-1-4 17:51
I took a frame showing left/rigth (no adjustments done on WB etc) but it's hard to see since the res ...

Definitely looks softer in the trees on the right compared to the left.  Try an image where everything is far away as the lens is designed for aerial work & is permanently focused further away.
2016-1-4
Use props
tord
lvl.1

Sweden

Now I only see softness on the rigth hand side, look at the trees on the right side compared with the left side

soft

soft
2016-1-4
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

tord@tabykyrkby Posted at 2016-1-4 19:52
Now I only see softness on the rigth hand side, look at the trees on the right side compared with th ...

Yes, you can see it best where there are no leaves/needles on the trees (green foliage often looks mushy anyway with small sensors).
2016-1-4
Use props
jgilchristmusic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 172024 ft
United States

As I saw in another thread with the f stop locked at 2.8 you are not going to get very sharp stills. If they make a version where that can be adjusted to say 10 even, then you will see much more crisp landscapes with good depth of field.
2016-1-4
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

jgilchristmusic Posted at 2016-1-4 22:12
As I saw in another thread with the f stop locked at 2.8 you are not going to get very sharp stills. ...

The camera has a ~3.6mm lens & 7.81mm (diagonal) sensor.  At f/2.8 depth of field will stretch from 0.9m to infinity when focused at infinity!

It's just a small sensor & cheap lens.  Closing the aperture will only make things worse due to diffraction.
edit: it will however, mask any misalignment slightly, so they could get away with less precision in mounting the lens.
2016-1-4
Use props
UAV 1
New

Australia

I've got the same situation with my phantom 3 advanced. But mine seems worse.
Take a look.......
As you can see there is a blur which can be seen in the trees at the end of my yard, on the grass and the shed in the corner which has lines running down it, can't be seen in a certain area.
I've tried playing around with options but can't get a clear and sharp image as others who have a clear video.

2016-1-4
Use props
tord
lvl.1

Sweden

UAV 1 Posted at 2016-1-5 02:20
I've got the same situation with my phantom 3 advanced. But mine seems worse.
Take a look.......
As ...

A youtube comment from your video UAV1:

" skimo001 19 hours ago
some phantom 3 have problems with mblurry pictures and videos because the lenses are not correct. the forums are full with this problem. go to your dealer and tell him. my first phantom 3 was a citrone too."

I'll demand a new from my dealer, let's see how that turns out.
2016-1-4
Use props
UAV 1
New

Australia

tord@tabykyrkby Posted at 2016-1-5 13:46
A youtube comment from your video UAV1:

" skimo001 19 hours ago

I gave my P3 back to the dealer today after showing him the pics and video quality of the camera. He is going to send it off the service center so lets see what they say. I told the dealer that if this is the normal quality then I want my money back.
2016-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules