B4UFLY - FAA app -- Airport contact information
1244 3 2016-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dpmax007
lvl.1

United States

I downloaded the FAA B4UFLY app.  There are airports and heliports everywhere!!!   When you open the app it uses your device location and alerts you to your flight status.  At my home it shows there are 6 airports within 5 miles!!!!   It says:  

WARNING - ACTION REQUIRED.  

You are located within 5 miles of an airport and/or airspace that requires permission to fly.
By law you must contact the airport operator and the air traffic control facility (if one is located at the airport) before flying.

Another screen shows which airports are within 5 miles.  

I searched the FAA website and found the following link that provides contact info for airports.  Looks like you can filter the list and even download the info to a spreadsheet.  

Here is the link. http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/airportdata_5010/.

Hope this helps!

2016-1-10
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing this link. There was another good thread yesterday about the B4UFly App released. The Android & iOS App are available on iTunes and the Play Store. FAA info and FAQ can be seen here:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/b4ufly/
Westside Osprey provided another couple of good links in their thread if your interested:
FAA Airport Search
AirNav

Interestingly, UAV Forecast is now including DJI no Fly and TFRs in a new Map link: UAV Forecast

Thanks Again & Fly Safe!!!

2016-1-10
Use props
dpmax007
lvl.1

United States

I what the conversation with the airport facility and/or tower should be.  "Hi, I'm gonna fly my drone". ??  I am also curios what direction airport personnel have been given about hobby drone pilots???  
2016-1-10
Use props
Monopdrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 995531 ft
United States

dpmax007 Posted at 2016-1-11 04:43
I what the conversation with the airport facility and/or tower should be.  "Hi, I'm gonna fly my dro ...

I'm curious about private fields.  If I were going to fly below the treetops at my house at 2am, how would the airport operator like it if I lived 4 miles away and called his cell phone?  
2016-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules