Phantom 3 always drifting and not staying still
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jyavenard
lvl.2

Australia

Hello.

(I emailed support on this topic) but hoping someone here would know the answer.

I received a Phantom 3 standard today.
After charging the batteries, I immediately played with it as anyone would expect.
It first asked me to perform a calibration which I did. Then on the iPhone app I selected the Auto Takeoff feature.

The Phantom took off. But rather than hovering still at 1.2m above the ground it did so at over 2m and immediately starting to drift right and at rather high speed.

I couldn't stop it, and the remote had no effect on the behaviour of the phantom. It continued drifting until it hit a side fence and crashed to the ground, with the propellers still going full speed, until I caught the phantom and removed the battery (couldn't stop it using the remote holding the left joystick down).

I have attempted the same operation several time, and the behaviour is pretty much always the same: it starts drifting on the north-east.
While using the auto-takeoff feature the remote control has no effect whatsoever. Not using the auto takeoff feature (e.g. ignoring the iphone app, only using the actual remote): I can start the phantom, make it takeoff.
But it will never hover still, it always drift slightly (albeit nowhere near as much as using the auto takeoff): I always have to compensate manually which is extremely frustrating.

Is there a standard operation to be performed so the phantom will hover still, a calibration of some kind? If not, could I have a faulty unit ?

Thanks in advance.

2016-1-11
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

IMU calibration on a completely level surface; compass calibration before flight.
2016-1-11
Use props
jyavenard
lvl.2

Australia

Thank you. I discovered the IMU calibration watching all the videos on YouTube. I've done so will test tomorrow morning. A quick side question, is it intended that the camera can't be controlled left or right with the controller when the phantom is sitting still on the table? I seem to be able to make it move left or right by maybe 1-2 degrees but that's about it. I see that during the calibration of the gamball.
2016-1-11
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

jyavenard Posted at 2016-1-11 09:10
Thank you. I discovered the IMU calibration watching all the videos on YouTube. I've done so will te ...

It does that and is normal when sitting there and turned on and connected.  Once quad is in the air, it no longer does this.  There is only up and down control of the camera.  No rotation at all.
2016-1-11
Use props
DillPickleAdil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184577 ft
Canada

Ready the manual!!!
2016-1-11
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

jyavenard Posted at 2016-1-11 09:10
Thank you. I discovered the IMU calibration watching all the videos on YouTube. I've done so will te ...

The Phantom in the air moves left and right which in turn moves the camera. If the camera moved it would get the landing gear in the frame. Makes sense?
2016-1-11
Use props
nixdiecast
lvl.2

United States

and then read the manual again and maybe a third time.
2016-1-11
Use props
jyavenard
lvl.2

Australia

DillPickleAdil Posted at 2016-1-11 22:42
Ready the manual!!!

I knew I was going to get a RTFM. You mean the manual *not* included with the device?
The longish online manual didn't contain that information
It's not in their FAQ either. Only found it looking at YouTube videos. Good videos though (I'm still blinded from the shine of the guys teeth )

Surely if it was that important it could have been mentioned in the starting guide.

Need to get new blades now luckily the P3S appears to be rather drop resistant !

2016-1-11
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Please try the IMU calibration .  And if that doesn't fix it , please contact your dealer or support center for the problem .
2016-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules