Vps reports wrong Altitude in mid flight!!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mariano76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 509196 ft
Italy

Hi all,
this is the 1st time i've experienced this strange behavior:

P3A with latest FW 1.6.0040 and Nexus 6 with Android 6.0.1 and latest Djo GO app:
yesterday i've done a flight on a hill located at 300m above sea level and during mid flight i've noticed that VPS was reporting altitude values of ~2 - 3 meters. I was pretty concerned that this could cause some failure so i've turned it off during flight.
Now i'm wondering if it is a bug of VPS 'cause i'm expecting that barometer should report only that kind of altitude values due to reference to air pressure similar to that one of take off point but not from Vision Positioning System.

Some similar experience out there?

2016-1-11
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Never heard of that happening.  Does seem strange though.
2016-1-11
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi . The VPS can't work properly over water . Please take care of that .
VPS 2.jpg
2016-1-11
Use props
mariano76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 509196 ft
United States

Yes thanks for the info but I knew that and it wasn't flying over water... Actually i'm waiting for dji support answer
2016-1-12
Use props
svott
lvl.3
Flight distance : 242008 ft
United States

mariano76 Posted at 2016-1-12 17:44
Yes thanks for the info but I knew that and it wasn't flying over water... Actually i'm waiting for  ...

Hi Mariano,
The same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago on my P3A with the same 1.06.0040 firmware.
I noticed that the VPS altitude flipped on and off repeatedly, reporting that I was less than 2 meters above ground.  In reality I was flying 70-80 meters above the ground, which was at least 50 meters above the trees below.
I have not had the opportunity to fly again so I do not know if it has become a regular problem.  It might have been happening for a while and I did not previously notice.
The incorrect VPS altitude did not seem to be causing any trouble, so I did not turn it off.  I did not see any mention of the low altitude when I reviewed the flight records in the DJI GO app.
I may perform all of the calibrations again just to be safe, but I don't know that any of them are relevant to VPS.
Please let us know if DJI support responds with any more information.
2016-1-14
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

if you are just flying your phantom outdoors, I would probably just turn it off if I were you
2016-1-14
Use props
countrysidegard
lvl.2

United States

From everything I've read it's worth nothing over 10m. In my independent tests outdoors with gps signal only, I can tell absolutely no difference when it's on or off. 98% of the time I fly with it off. That should at least eliminate a mishap during your next flights but doesn't solve your core problem. Maybe others will chime in with more insight
2016-1-14
Use props
oks4n4
lvl.2

Indonesia

hello all, im experienxing the same issue. my VPS turn ON when im 100m above ground. it shows 2m for a sec, and then show distance again, and show VPS again, and distance again. im using the last firmware for my p3p. Phantom 3 Professional Firmware v1.7.0060
2016-3-20
Use props
oks4n4
lvl.2

Indonesia

Yes happened to my P3P too... Fly about 80m above ground, and it show 2-3meter for a sec, and then vanish. Weird...
2016-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules