Newbie Questions
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wklaehn
lvl.1

United States

I am a little confused on one aspect of my new Phantom 3 Pro.If I want to land, and not touch the ground, just grab a leg (gently) and turn it off what is the best way to approach this?
I have been flying low, then using the land button and holding the drone still so it thinks it is touching ground.

What is the max wind you typically fly in?

What mode do you typiaclly record video in?

Do you have any antenna upgrades and if so what do you recommend?

Thanks for the help!
2016-1-14
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Hand catching

Youre stating that youre a newbee! Just say NO! I'ts more than dangerous enough for experienced pilots!
I'm filming in 1080p btw
2016-1-14
Use props
wklaehn
lvl.1

United States

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-15 01:23
Youre stating that youre a newbee! Just say NO! I'ts more than dangerous enough for experienced pilo ...

Yeah...but I am a newbee that doesn't want a camera gimble dented by a rock...or drone damaged in rough area landing.
I have been flying model airplanes and such for years...just starting out with the Phantom though. I did several flights today 6 to be exact over 1.5 hours flight time...

How do you land yours Balthazar?
2016-1-14
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

How to land a multicopter

wklaehn Posted at 2016-1-15 07:29
Yeah...but I am a newbee that doesn't want a camera gimble dented by a rock...or drone damaged in  ...

It varies a lot, depending on where I'm standing.

Here I did hand catch it. I'm not really a newbee though.

Here a friend hand catches his. He's not a newbee either though

Justin Bieber hand catched a quad. Doesent have a pic of that but it should serve as a warning of sorts

Usually I land on a flat surface like a table or bench (You'll might want to find something a little wider for now)
Tueneset_rc_2014_11_16.jpg

In the end, its your fingers and your quad so the ultimate decition is all yours ;)
The Phantom is capable of seriously accurate navigation.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

For your safety , please land the aircraft on the ground . It could be dangerous to perform a Catch-Land .
2016-1-14
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Lots of experienced flyers never land their Phantoms.
Hand catching is easy and safe.
Bring your Phantom down to a metre or so above head height and 7 or 8 metres out from you.
Rotate it so that you are looking at the battery.
Slowly bring the Phantom back towards you.
Because it's above head height, you are not in the danger zone.
Because it's facing away from you, left will be left etc and you won't get the controls mixed up.
Bring it in closer till you can reach up and hold the right side leg wuth your right yhumb up mear the battery switch.
Then hold the left joystick down until the motors stop - about 3 secs if you can hold the Phantom level and steady.
Then switch off at the battery.
Some people like to have a lanyard to hold the controller.
2016-1-14
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

wklaehn Posted at 2016-1-15 00:29
Yeah...but I am a newbee that doesn't want a camera gimble dented by a rock...or drone damaged in  ...

Why not get a gimble protector?  There are lots of them on Ebay.  They only cost a couple of bucks.

They mount to the legs, below the camera,  and should prevent the camera from striking anything in a normal landing.

I'd think this would be far safer and a better method than hand-catching, especially for those of us that are not expert flyers.

The other thing you can do to reduce landing risk,  is use the DJI Go App auto-land feature.

However, I think after you practice a bit,  landings on the ground become a non-issue.  In fact, it becomes fun to try interesting landings - landing on exact spot,  landing on a outdoor picnic table, etc.  I've even attempted landing in the bed of my pickup (aborted that one because I didn't feel comfortable with it).

Sid
2016-1-15
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

Gimbal Protector

sidtx Posted at 2016-1-15 18:55
Why not get a gimble protector?  There are lots of them on Ebay.  They only cost a couple of bucks ...

NVM I though you meant the Gimbal Protector designed for transport and panicked
2016-1-15
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

the phantom never goes to you , you need to go for the phantom! jeje

basically low the altitude to 1.5 meters and then go and catch the phantom , is the easy way to do it ,   later your are going to be able to land your quad in your had jeje
i land my quad in the ground when i can land in solid ground free space , but if there is some grass flowers water or stuff like that i land it and perform a had catch
2016-1-15
Use props
koine777
lvl.2

United States

If you're afraid of damaging your camera, don't land in the "shit". Land on a flat surface. You like counting to ten with just your fingers? Does your significant other like your face? Like having two eyes? Hand catching is not worth it.
2016-1-15
Use props
wklaehn
lvl.1

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-1-15 02:31
Lots of experienced flyers never land their Phantoms.
Hand catching is easy and safe.
Bring your Pha ...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Did not know about holding left stick down, this helps alot. This is honestly the coolest device/more of a vehicle that I have ever had!
2016-1-15
Use props
wklaehn
lvl.1

United States

sidtx Posted at 2016-1-15 12:55
Why not get a gimble protector?  There are lots of them on Ebay.  They only cost a couple of bucks ...

Gimble Guard is on the way, that was one of the first things I bought after getting the phantom.
I am pretty well stocked up
4 sets of blades (should not need another blade on it for months...but I have them just in case)
3 Batteries
1 Gimble Guard
1 New gimble lock and camera sun shade
1 Battery Hub

Only thing I don't have yet is a range extender (amplified/battery powered one) and a case.
2016-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules