Carbon Propellers
1290 14 2016-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chafey5373
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40476 ft
United Kingdom

Hi this is my first post so appologies if this has already been addressed. I have done a search but not really found an answer. Having recently purchased my P3 I have been considering upgrading to the carbon propellers, my question is do they improve the performance or are they purley cosmetic and not much gain. Would you recommend upgrading or stick with stock ones?
2016-1-18
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Carbon Fiber propellers are not really an upgrade in my opinion.
The original plastic ones are Awesome.
CF propellers are way more brittle and shatter like glass if you hit something.
They can also send dangerous shards flying all over the place when damaged.
2016-1-18
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-18 03:13
The original plastic ones are Awes ...

The DJI 'Carbon' Propellers are not layered carbon fiber as sort of implied.  They're black.  They may shatter more easily.  They don't work any better.  They are simply cosmetic.
2016-1-18
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I got my carbon propellers, I've noticed more agile, nimble maneuvers. They sound a little different too, like stiffer sounding when hovering. They are well worth it. Only $15 for a pair. It isn't so bad.
2016-1-18
Use props
cacollins0220
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294016 ft
United States

I use both types of Propellers on my P3P

I have found that the CF units do respond quicker when I want to make quick turns or detailed manuvers. The stiffness of the Propeller is the reason. I have also brushed a leaf and had them virtually explode. they are very high tension so they come across as brittle.

the regular plastic Propellers fly a little smoother for graceful shots. this is due to lower performance. they have a little bit of LAG...cant thing of a better term, even though I'm sure that might not be the right one.

the CF Units look COOL though you can get the same results with the white ones if you get the ones with the stripes on them.

so the right answer is....... Wait for it......

use the tools that best fit what you want to do. practice with them. but have both tools in your toolbox whenever you want them.
2016-1-18
Use props
chafey5373
lvl.2

Thanks for the replies...appreciate the advice, think I'll stick to stock for the time being until ive had more flying experience anyway
2016-1-18
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

RE: Carbon Propellers

chafey5373 Posted at 2016-1-18 18:46
Thanks for the replies...appreciate the advice, think I'll stick to stock for the time being until i ...

Wise choise
The Phantom is not a nimble speed machine anyway
I think the stock DJI propellers suits it's purpose perfectly!

I have CF propellers on a Tarot 680Pro and I'm gonna go for wooden ones next time.
Wonder why the BBC drone team seems to like wood so I might as well have a go.
They seem to know what they're doing.
2016-1-18
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

I've ordered some, but haven't arrived yet so can't give you my feedback. I bought them because there are reports on here that it can reduce the "jello" effect in videos. I don't know if this is actually true....but there is only one way to find out I guess...  (They are also expensive.....)
2016-1-18
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-18 22:13
The original plastic ones are Awes ...

Agree completely,
I've used both on a variety of craft and for the Phantom series I use the original ones as the carbon one induces more "sharp" movements.
I have found the carbon ones better on my Hexa though
2016-1-18
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

mike.wildlight Posted at 2016-1-18 20:07
I have found the carbon ones better on my Hexa though

Yea because the Hex is way more powerful, it's a lot heavier and the propellers are much bigger.
Ever tried wooden Graupners?
2016-1-18
Use props
countrysidegard
lvl.2

United States

I prefer the stock props personally. I think the claims of a more responsive, quicker bird is bit of a placebo. They are for sure stiffer and I've never broke a pair, but could imagine they'd do more damage in the event of a collision... I seem to notice more vibrating with my cf props which is likely due to them not being in balance and me not having a balancer.... The ONLY perk I see is the color
2016-1-18
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-19 05:18
Yea because the Hex is way more powerful, it's a lot heavier and the propellers are much bigger.
Ev ...

Not yet, I rarely use the Hexa these days. It's large, loud, imposing and I still get nervous with over $10K in the air. I was enamoured with the idea of 36MP still images, but in reality have little need for them. It's currently on the "sell" list with my P1.
2016-1-18
Use props
Ithacus
lvl.2

United States

chafey5373 Posted at 2016-1-18 12:46
Thanks for the replies...appreciate the advice, think I'll stick to stock for the time being until i ...

I use both, any difference is insignificant.......except, if or when you fly into a pet or person the CF props will cut meat more easily.

If color was a factor in wanting to purchase, you can use any color permanent mark, ink or cloth dye to give your bird some character
2016-1-18
Use props
chafey5373
lvl.2

Dye them.....! Hadnt thought of that. I must admit I like the thought of black props...thanks
2016-1-19
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

I like them better than plastic. Sounds better, maneuver better... on my opinion.

I have used my 4 for over 50 flights, no crashes, no issues.
2016-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules