Bought Advanced to go with Standard
1049 22 2016-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

So,  today I bit the bullet and bought a new advanced to keep my standard company.  I am curious to see what firmware it ships with.  I am hoping it is an older one,  so I get 4k,  but not the new one,  even though I am in an unrestricted zone.  I also cant wait to use the extra range,  and the ability to plug my Fatsharks in to the Hdmi module direct without all the gadgets I use to make them work with the standard.
And my new advanced comes with a hardshell backpack and 2 extra batteries.  Yay.  With 5 batteries now I can stay out in the boonies for a lot longer doing nothing in particular.  
Now before I do a flight with the advanced,  I can send in the sacrificial standard to make sure the coast is clear and the natives are calm.  What fun.
2016-1-19
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Sounds good, should be a blast..now you can play Drone tag!
Let us know if you have the new updated motors and shell,
Trying to figure out a serial no. start range as DJI are ignoring the requests...
2016-1-19
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Ok.  It is supposed to be here tomorrow,  as I ordered from a store less than 100 miles away and they promised same day shipping,  fedex.
2016-1-19
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40837 ft
United States

What do you mean ''So I Get 4K''? Do they come with a 4k camera now? I recently ordered one too..
2016-1-19
Use props
scgene31
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17802 ft
United States

Advanced doesn't come with 4K
2016-1-19
Use props
flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13686729 ft
  • >>>
United States

scgene31 Posted at 2016-1-19 17:42
Advanced doesn't come with 4K

Plus, neither the Advance or Pro come with the built in HDMI. That's a $99 option my friend. That's one of the reasons why I'm purchasing the Nvidia Shield K1 Tablet for it's built in HDMI as well as built in GPS for the follow me mode compared to my iPad mini 2
2016-1-19
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

The firmware update before the last one gives 2.7k to the advanced,  my mistake,  and I know about the Hdmi module.
2016-1-19
Use props
night__fire
lvl.1

United States

FYI, from what I just saw at Best Buy, The Box picture on the front shows if it has new motors or not.
2016-1-19
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-19 16:45
The firmware update before the last one gives 2.7k to the advanced,  my mistake,  and I know about t ...

Aloha Kneepuck,

Good to hear you are getting the Advanced!  Where you live should get you some serious flying!  Watch that RTH altitude though.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-20
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Well,  the Advanced is here.  It has the same motors as my standard,  which are the newer motors.  I was pleasantly surprised to see it came with a 64 gig sd card and a reader,  and an extra battery and nd filter.  The case is a quite nice hardshell backpack with room for 3 extra batteries,  the p3 and controller and some extra space for accessories.  Fully loaded,  it is pretty light and will be no trouble to pack up into the mountains.  One interesting this was a flyer that came with it that said the first 5 or 6 charges were a break in period for the battery and to land immediately if I saw 30% or less charge remaining at any time during those first 5 or 6 flights.  I have not yet activated or even powered it up,  so don't know the firmware version it came with,  but that same flyer also said there was a firmware update available that I should install.  ( I wont).
2016-1-20
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Congrats!
So...ordered a pro yet?
2016-1-20
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-20 10:27
Congrats!
So...ordered a pro yet?

Maybe next week.  Lol.   But I really don't see a lot of difference aside from the higher resolution and faster video stream rate.  And I am far from being a good enough cameraman to need those things.  I just hope I don't end up kicking myself again,   this time for not getting a Pro.
2016-1-20
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Well,  now I have done several flights with the advanced and I have to say,  WOW!  It is a huge step up from the standard in use.  The numbers on the spec sheets don't really do justice to the overall better experience.  I flew out to 6636 feet,  a little over 2 kilometers, today with a fully stock aircraft and had 100% signal strength all the way.  Altitude 400 feet.  There is no way I could do that with my Standard,  even with the range booster on.  And even the speed of the download from the Advanced to my computer for the video files is almost twice as fast.  The quality of the controller and the extra buttons and stuff that adds functionality is clearly better than the Standard.    For now,  I am more than content with the range and performance of the Advanced.  Please,  please no one come along and tell me the Professional is as much better than the Advanced as the Advanced is over the Standard.  I don't have enough room on the R/C airplane table as it is,  and my bank account will scream if I squeeze it much more.

Even though I am sure there is an issue with the Standards range,  and I had mostly overcome it with the amplifier,  I still never got over around 2000 feet distance with it.   On the other hand,  having experienced it's limitations makes me appreciate the Advanced all that much more.  Poor Standard,  I'm afraid it's flying days will be limited to the occasional guest who wants to try out a Phantom.
2016-1-22
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

NIce!! i know that you are going to have a lot of fun with your advance  and those fatsharks
2016-1-22
Use props
atomic-junky
New

Germany

danieldust Posted at 2016-1-19 23:03
What do you mean ''So I Get 4K''? Do they come with a 4k camera now? I recently ordered one too..

Hi, the advanced can get 2.7k out of the cam with the latest firmware update. That is better than 1080p but ist not full 4k. Never the less the advanced is an awesome platform for 899€.
2016-1-22
Use props
atomic-junky
New

Germany

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-23 00:13
Well,  now I have done several flights with the advanced and I have to say,  WOW!  It is a huge step ...

The only thingvthat the pro does better than the advance is the faster charger (twice as fast) and the 4k resolution. If you don't have a 4k tv and the bandwith there ist plenty time to enjoy the advance.
2016-1-22
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40837 ft
United States

atomic-junky@gm Posted at 2016-1-23 08:20
Hi, the advanced can get 2.7k out of the cam with the latest firmware update. That is better than  ...

Yes I agree. Mine is coming in the mail on Friday!
2016-2-8
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-2-8
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2016-2-8 13:03
I guess you guys have not been following CES 2016 that a ton of new drones coming out in the next co ...

The reason I bought it is because the Phantom is an awesome platform with mostly proven tech.  It is more than enough for my non-professional needs.  Besides,  if you always wait for the latest and greatest,  you will never get anything.  If something comes out that is a must have,  I will buy one.  Until then,  well,  I wanted to fly NOW.
2016-2-8
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-2-9 07:03
The reason I bought it is because the Phantom is an awesome platform with mostly proven tech.  It  ...

Exactly my feelings.
If I want it, I buy it now.
I am to old to wait for delivery...lol

I may not want to do this in six months.....and I will just give it up.
Then again, I might just get hooked and get deeper in debt for it.....My wife will kill me.
2016-2-8
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-1-19 12:38
Sounds good, should be a blast..now you can play Drone tag!
Let us know if you have the new updated  ...

Just noticed I never replied to this.  My Advanced came with the new motors and firmware version 1.4.0.   And that is what I am still running.  It only bugs me to update when I use the Dji-Go app,  and since I mostly use Litchi,  it does not bug me much.  Flies great with 1.4.0 and I don't plan on changing it anytime soon,  unless a bunch of people start raving about how good the new fw update is.  The r/c is 1.2.4.
2016-2-13
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Will you actually fly your standard ever again?  might get some $ for it on Ebay to get some batteries etc.
2016-2-13
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

I have some friends who always beg to fly the Phantom.  If they grovel enough,  I let them fly the Standard.  It still has a warm place in my heart and on my r/c table.  And it's fun to watch my friends grovel.
2016-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules