When to turn on Battery to charge and other
806 2 2016-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

I see it in a few posts Ive read where they say turn the battery on to charge yet I cant find anything about that in the manual on the battery .

When do you need to turn the battery on to charge .

Does continually topping up a charged battery cause damage , like I charged it a day or 2 ago and trying to comply with the 100% charge take off theory will giving it a top up on the car charger on the way to my fly location cause any problems .

If I have the battery voltage turned on in the app it shows only 1 reading is this the lowest cell or an average , and at what point is it a concern in others words when is something wrong going on that number , is just the color warnings or some other behavior .

Cheers

2016-1-19
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Rod,

If the battery has 90% or more charge, then the DJI charger will not initiate charging unless you first power on the battery. This is a signal to the charger that you want to top it off. Otherwise, if your battery is at anything less than 90%, then just plug it in and the charger will charge it back to 100%.

LIPOs prefer to be stored at 45-50%, so don't store them at 100%. After flying, let the battery cool down for at least 30 minutes (return to room temperature) before you charge it again. If you're not going to use it immediately, charge it to 50-55% and then wait and charge it just before you go flying again to 100%.

Displaying the voltage in the main screen of the GO App shows the lowest cell and you never want to see 3.3v . 30% should be around 3.71 v and you should think about landing at that point and stop any aggressive flying to conserve power.

There's tons of generic LIPO reading if you are interested:

Battery University
Understanding RC LIPOs
2016-1-19
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

Thanks Terry
2016-1-19
Use props
Advanced