DJI P3P yaw arm and flat ribbon repair
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mackswell
lvl.1

United States

It's a story for another time, but the TL;DR is this: I stupidly ignored my battery warning, thinking I could bring it home, and it auto-landed in a tree.  Miraculously, it appears the only carnage aside from 4 broken props and 4 broken prop guards is that the yaw arm and flat ribbon cable severed.  It was a clean break.

Upon a quick search I found that DJI does not sell individual parts of the gimbal. Wah, wah.  However, I've found that a number of other 3rd party dudes have 3D printed and even CNC machined replacement parts, including that coveted yaw arm I need— which are all sold on ebay, some on amazon, and most have been posted here and on other popular DJI forums.

So, now I'm debating between these three options and I'd love for you to weigh in:
Option 1: 3D Printed Plastic replacement (ie: Order from Bock)
http://www.bockhobby.com/phantom.html
Interesting option. This dude seems passionate about his parts as evidenced by his tutorial videos and his comparison video wherein he is appalled at the poor craftsmanship of one of his competitors.  Then again, his part is plastic, which is not what the original part is made of.  Not to mention, it says BOCK on the side.  My P3P is no chicken.  It's been through some shit.  Either way, his tutorial video seems like the only one and I'd be remissed if I didn't say thanks in advance to Tony Bock for putting that together as I will likely end up using that. Thanks dude!

Option 2: CNC-Machined replacmenet (ie: Order from Fstop Labs)
http://www.fstop-labs.com/produc ... -cnc-pro-adv-std-4k
Another interesting option.  Found via ebay.  Seems new to the replacement part game based on the number of sold shown on ebay.  He/she/they CNC-machined the part and appear to have basically replicated the OEM part down to the exact weight.  This seems promising to me.  Although, my concern is that I can't find very many reviews of this and their website is so barebones it makes me wonder whether they can be trusted.  Also is 6061 aircraft-grade aluminum what the original part is made out of?

Option 3: Send it in to DJI
From what I hear this is not the ideal option.  I hear it takes forever to get anything done and costs way more than it should.  But that's just the word on the street.

Thoughts?  Anyone have any experience in fixing this themselves or having DJI fix it?!
I'm leaning towards getting the aluminum CNC yaw replacement from Fstop Labs, flat ribbon from DJI, and using Tony Bock's tutorial to put it all together... but not sure, hence latenight post to djiforum.

Thanks in advance to all you fellow pilots,
Mackswell

2016-1-20
Use props
Flying Poptart
lvl.3
Flight distance : 734577 ft
United States

If you have the skill's to replace it, go with the aluminum one. I would. Plastic looks cheap.
2016-1-20
Use props
jeffreyfjohnson
lvl.1

United States

I had to send my P3P back to DJI for some warranty repair when my battery shut off during flight and mine fell from about 40 feet.  It took a total of 2 weeks which included shipping both ways and the time to repair the unit.  They had to replace the entire lower housing and gimbal/camera unit.  I will have to admit the tech left a mysterious screw attached to the bottom of one of the motors when it was returned and I didn't find it until after a 20 min flight, lucky for me it didn't cause any problems.

Good Luck,
Jeff
2016-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules