Tips for RTH
1151 16 2016-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ant.1141
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have done about 4 flights and havent taken my it past 800m yet. I will be honest im scared too incase it doesnt come back.  I understand all the compas calibrations ect im just in general worried about how reliable RTH actualy is. Does anyone fly out of signal length often or is it a bad idea cos i like the idea of long flights
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

RTH works perfectly as long as you setup your RT altitude correctly. And as soon as it starts coming home you'll probably get RC signal again and you can cancel RTH.
You will most likely lose video signal before RC signal, when you do you can just fly home using the map and follow the line back home and make sure you are higher than anything in your flight path.
2016-1-22
Use props
ant.1141
lvl.1

United Kingdom

iv seen people fly throught signal loss too. they get no signal warning but just keep flying and it kinda comes back. thats safe too. just keep flying till the bird turns round on its own. obv if i have the battery too do so.
2016-1-22
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

ant.1141 Posted at 2016-1-23 07:22
iv seen people fly throught signal loss too. they get no signal warning but just keep flying and it  ...

Well, if it doesn't come back, the cost of a new drone could be the least of you problems...

http://www.theguardian.com/world ... st-drone-conviction
2016-1-23
Use props
ant.1141
lvl.1

United Kingdom

i dont fly in any built up area at all. i fly across farm fields and big open areas in the country. people like that guy in the guardian was asking for trouble flying near the brige and nucler base. i was talking around fields so if it does mess up. i hit a tree not a car
2016-1-23
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

ant.1141 Posted at 2016-1-23 21:44
i dont fly in any built up area at all. i fly across farm fields and big open areas in the country.  ...

His drone was a flyaway & he was following CAA guidelines until he lost control.  If a Phantom flies away it can travel long distances, so it's really not worth the risk of losing the signal.  Not only that, but without visual line of sight or control, how do you avoid other aircraft?  If it does have an accident & you've ignored CAA guidelines, you'll have very little in the form of a defence.  Your choice entirely, but personally, I wouldn't tempt fate.
2016-1-23
Use props
ant.1141
lvl.1

United Kingdom

oh right i feel for him then. i see in the video the drone went a fair distance before crashing. he was unlucky were it landed but i do agree tbh its best not to tempt fate
2016-1-23
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

" I will be honest im scared too incase it doesnt come back.  ... im just in general worried about how reliable RTH actualy is."

The simple solution is to test RTH rather than wondering.
Every Phantom owner should experiment with RTH to learn how it works and how to use it.
The day you need RTH  is not the time to start learning.

There are 3 pages on RTH in the manual.  It is very important.
Read them, understand them and try them including cancelling RTH and resuming control.
2016-1-23
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-23 23:44
His drone was a flyaway & he was following CAA guidelines until he lost control.  If a Phantom fli ...

Hi there! I would offer a word of caution on this; in the UK it's an offence to operate your unmanned aerial vehicle above 400 feet (above ground level) and beyond 500 meters (from your position).  The caveat for the last part is that it must also remain within your visual line of sight at all times. So, if for example you're flying it at 300 meters away and you can't see it anymore, you're outside the law and, if caught, you could be prosecuted.

These rules apply everywhere, regardless of the terrain, population, etc. I'd be ultra-cautious in ignoring the maximums. I don't mean to be dramatic, only helpful :-). There are some additional distance rules that apply to where you can fly and the CAA have some very helpful info (https://www.caa.co.uk/drones/) on this and it's well worth knowing the rules. Apparently the guy who flew into the submarine base didn't know the rules but still got in trouble.

The other thing that is well worth doing is buying third party liability insurance from either the BMFA (https://bmfa.org/Info/BMFA-Insurances/Insurance) which runs about £30 per year or through UKFPV (http://www.fpvuk.org/become-a-member/) which is about £18.50. I'm not affiliated with either, it's just a very cheap way of enjoying your drone without having to worry about the worst case scenario.

Both cover you up to £5m if you accidentally damage something or someone and get sued, or if you do something by accident (like fly into an area you shouldn't) and get fined / sued, etc.

Happy flying!
2016-1-23
Use props
Donutlou
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112119 ft
United States

Not a bad idea. Where can I look up that insurance in the United States?
2016-1-23
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-23 01:15
RTH works perfectly as long as you setup your RT altitude correctly. And as soon as it starts coming ...

Thats what i know , you suppose to lose video signal before RC signal ,
do you have an idea why  i lose RC signal before video signal ,  mmm i did an other test today , and i  was flying more than 1km away (really happy about the range that i get now jeje )  but when i lose range the  RC signal  is the one that i lose , the video is so perfect , even flying 1.5 km away i get perfect video signal  but RC signal lost,  i just see in my screen that  the quad is coming back but waiting to regain RC signal its kind of weird
the other weird thing is that lose rc signal going away , but when the quad is coming home , i get full signal , and when i move the nose back to the front i lose signal , is there any way to adjust the position of the RC nternal antennas
2016-1-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

GTDrone Posted at 2016-1-24 12:42
Thats what i know , you suppose to lose video signal before RC signal ,
do you have an idea why  i ...

Your Phantom Standard uses 2.4 for video and 5.8 for RC signal. Whatever range extender you used probably gave you more distance on 2.4 so you have better video now.
And now, you cannot more the internal antennas. When your coming home why would you not want the quad facing you?
2016-1-23
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Guatemala

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-23 23:02
Your Phantom Standard uses 2.4 for video and 5.8 for RC signal. Whatever range extender you used p ...

well  was the same with stock antenna ,  i lose RC signal all the time and never video signal ,

ooo and well is not that i don't like the quad facing me when is coming home , what i mean is that  imagin I'm flying really far away and i lose RC signal ,  the quad  initiate RTH automatically and turns the nose facing me , in that point i regain signal and i can cancel RTC  but if i turn the nose to the front again i lose signal again , so the only way to fly further is to fly backwards ,  and well there is no point to fly further if i can't see where I'm going ,
the issue is  that i have lot better range when the quad is facing me  so i don't know how to fix it
2016-1-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

GTDrone Posted at 2016-1-24 13:21
well  was the same with stock antenna ,  i lose RC signal all the time and never video signal ,

o ...

Well then just let it get a little closer until you regain RC control then cancel RTH.
Seems like the antennas are in the front so you have better range facing you. That's how it is.
Why is the challenge to fly so far, are there not interesting things to get photos and videos close by you.
If your reason for wanting a quad was to get long range, then the Standard was not the one to get. For future, look at the specs for whatever you purchase next to see the limitations.
2016-1-23
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Guatemala

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-23 23:38
Well then just let it get a little closer until you regain RC control then cancel RTH.
Seems like  ...

well this is just a discussion take it easy jeje I'm not complaining about this , mmm i just asking if there is a way to change it .

and the reason why i want to go far , its just for fun  jeje when i go to places like mountains and volcanoes i like to see  what is around and explore some places that you can't go walking (unexplored areas jaja )
thats the only reason
2016-1-23
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

Donutlou Posted at 2016-1-24 03:55
Not a bad idea. Where can I look up that insurance in the United States?

Not sure for USA as I'm UK based. You may need to spend a little Google time to find the options.  Just be sure it's for personal, not commercial, use - otherwise it'll cost a small fortune!
2016-1-24
Use props
flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same here and only about 2500 feet out. I purchased in the beginning of December and the weather has not been great but when the weather turns, I plan on finding a wide open flat area with little obstruction to see what the limit is.
2016-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules