Video format from DJI 4K to GoPro Studio
17361 14 2016-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
surf11east
lvl.1
Flight distance : 111188 ft
United States

Does anyone know what video format needs to be used on the DJI 4K camera to work in the GoPro Studio video editor.  Been using this program for over a year and like it.  Had the GoPro on the Phantom 2 and now have upgraded to the Phantom 3 4K, any suggestions to make video editing easier?
2016-1-26
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

I've tried once but did not succeed to put videos from phantom 3 to go pro studio,  don't know why.  Also DJI has its own editing software in the DJI GO app
2016-1-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Go Pro Studio will happily import either MP4 or MOV files, it doesn't care. It converts them to AVI for editing purposes. I quite often recommend it to people looking for a free editor.
2016-1-26
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-26 19:08
Go Pro Studio will happily import either MP4 or MOV files, it doesn't care. It converts them to AVI  ...

Aloha Geebax,

GoPro Studio edits my files OK, but it does not accept the initial video off the chip for cut and trim-like editing or at least did not for me.  Is that the same for you, or what am I doing wrong?

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-26
Use props
surf11east
lvl.1
Flight distance : 111188 ft
United States

That is what is happening for me, it does not let you cut and trim the initial video which makes for double work in editing.  I am use to getting footage with the Phantom 2 + GoPro and editing in the GoPro Studio.  Made life easier.  Just have to keep playing around and also got the Adobe Elements 14, not as user friendly as the GoPro Studio.
2016-1-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2016-1-27 17:16
Aloha Geebax,

GoPro Studio edits my files OK, but it does not accept the initial video off t ...

Are you importing the files and then converting them to AVI?
2016-1-27
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-26 22:10
Are you importing the files and then converting them to AVI?

Aloha Geebax,

Actually, no.  The videos are the .mov format straight from the DJI camera.  I just open them up and modify them in some way depending on the need.  Then, I may edit them, as in cut and trim, using another editing program.  I have even gone back into GoPro Studio again for some purpose that it does well.  Hard to keep track sometimes!

If I record in .avi format, do you think GoPro Studio will accept the video?  I just like recording in .mov.  In fact one of the GoPro tutorials (written, I think) mentions the advantages of recording in .mov.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-27
Use props
jjvolpone
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-27 00:08
Go Pro Studio will happily import either MP4 or MOV files, it doesn't care. It converts them to AVI  ...

I have the go pro studio and tried to run the 4k video from the Phantom3 pro straight from the sim card and got an error message saying the go pro studio couldn't support the files.  If there's a way to use the go pro studio I would love to know how to make that happen.  I have had some success using that program and would be happy to edit my videos there.
2016-1-27
Use props
Juliano Cruz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4158868 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Should be nice an editor by DJI that works on Windows or Mac. I have an old iPad and DJI Go doesn't work there, and edit videos on my iPhone isn't confortable as edit on a computer.
2016-1-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2016-1-27 21:48
Aloha Geebax,

Actually, no.  The videos are the .mov format straight from the DJI camera.  I ...

To use GoPro Studio, you need to import the files, either .MP4 or .MOV, into Studio and then convert them to .AVI files, this is the normal process for Studio. Once converted, they can be edited as easily as GoPro files. At the conclusion, you can export the edited cut to a number of formats, including files intended for You Tube, Facebook and such.

If you try to cut the original files, you get that message saying they are unsupported. Conversion is just one extra step, not hard to do. The advantage of GoPro Studio is that it handles 4K quite well, even on slightly lesser computers, has many built in features and it is free.

If you want to work with a professional level program, Blackmagic Resolve is also free, and is the most powerful colour correcrtion package available. It's drawback is that it needs a powerful computer to run on and is a bit primitive in the editing section at present.
2016-1-27
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-27 11:19
To use GoPro Studio, you need to import the files, either .MP4 or .MOV, into Studio and then conver ...

Aloha Geebax,

Mahalo for the information!  I have the free DaVinci Resolve by BlackMagic and it really does color good like you noted (and I have serious color issues).  I have never been able to match the color in different scenes without help, until Resolve.  

So it is not just me that wonders about the editing section.  I am just an old dog trying to learn new tricks, so they all take a while to get used to.  But the information on this forum is really helpful, like your participation in this thread, and helps to get through the dense stuff.  What I do like about all the different options is that you can take a large video and get it down close to what you want and the result can be small enough to upload in a few hours.  Great technology!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-27
Use props
xsvcelloxsv
New

United States

so i have some questions that i think you gentleman can answer. so i recently purchased the phantom 3 4k and i finally got to use it this past weekend. it came with a 16gb memory card in which i got about 23 minutes of recorded video with. well when i transfer the videos into gopro studio and try to convert them to step2 for editing it says the files size is 24 gb which doesn't make sense considering it is only a 16gb card and it also says it will take 99gb to convert the files for editing? why is the file so large? im trying to edit a video but cant due to not having enough memory left on my mac
2016-2-1
Use props
monica66
lvl.2

United States

Hi, I found this article on Google. Hope it will give you some clues. Good luck!
2016-7-18
Use props
chris198810
Banned

Japan

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-20
Use props
christing
lvl.2

Singapore

You'd better try a GoPro Studio alternative.
2017-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules