Compass always for calibration
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rhhidalgo
New

Philippines

Everytime I check the overall status of my Phantom 3 Pro always displays calibrate compass. After calibrating  compass, there's no changes with the compass status. What will I do to put it back to normal status. I'm using the latest firmware and tried also calibrating the IMU. I tried also calibrating compass from different locations like open field, and away from metal objects.
Please help.

Thank you
2016-1-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Can you post a screen shot showing the message you get?
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Please calibrate the IMU and then do the compass calibration in the place free of magnetic interference
2016-1-28
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

I do Compass calibration every time i fly , i don't know if  its a good idea ,
does any one knows how often is recommended to do a compass calibration ?
2016-1-28
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

I read where if your flying within the same area most of the time you do not have to do a compass calibration.  i cant remember the exact distance but I think over so many miles they suggest doing one.
2016-1-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are getting a compass calibration required every time you power up and everywhere you go and there's no metal around then something is not right. has it been like this since day one, or have you crashed it?
have you calibrated the IMU.
If it's never been in an accident and you haven't added any electronic or anything metal on it then something is wrong with the compass.
Go take it outside away from any metal and power everything up and go to the MC settings page and scroll down to sensors and the compass reading should be between 1,000 and 2,000.
Do that and see what it says, if it's out of that range then it will need to be sent in for repairs.

If you keep getting the errors, you really shouldn't be flying it.
2016-1-28
Use props
Skyruss
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-28 14:01
If you are getting a compass calibration required every time you power up and everywhere you go and  ...

Ken,
Thanks for all the good input over the all the posts.

Is there a clear answer on the frequency of calibration conversation? Currently I check the sensor as the bird is warming, if it reads between 1400 and 1500 I don't calibrate. Is that adequate? Early on I did calibrate before every flight, though I have heard that can be bad as well... please advise and thanks!
2016-1-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skyruss Posted at 2016-1-29 05:33
Ken,
Thanks for all the good input over the all the posts.

DJI recommends calibrating the compass for each location.
But personally I only calibrate when I travel from California to Arizona or if I add or remove a device (like GPS tracker)
I know I have a good calibration so for me (and that's me only) I don't want a chance of getting a bad calibration so I don't do it. I also store it in the case so i know it's not getting near metal to mess up the compass.
The magnetic declination is very small going West or East and even smaller going North or South.
You can go a few hundred miles and only have a deviation of 1/2 degree or so.

But again, that's just me and not the DJI recommended way.
2016-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules