Just ordered my P3, need device advice please!
1418 20 2016-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhantomSnoopy
New

United States

After a few days of debate between a P3 and a Chroma, I decided on a P3 Standard and its been ordered.    The main reason there was any debate is because I do not have a smartphone and have no intention of getting one and the Chroma doesn't need one.    I do have an Ipad Mini, but its the first version, that will not work correct?    If not, I want to spend as little as possible because whatever I get is only for flying the P3.    Will a Samsung Galaxy 4 or a Samsung Galaxy Tab A work?    Either of them can be picked up for a reasonable price, I would rather not fork out for an Ipad mini 2 if I don't have too.    Appreciate the advice guys!
2016-1-27
Use props
ChicagoKid23
lvl.1

United States

To answer your question check out this link. It has list of all known devices to work with the DJI Go APP

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... -with-dji-go.48525/
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Below are the devices that are approved.
The NVIDIA Shield K is $200 and that will work.
iOS Version v2.5.1. Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Android Version v2.5.1. Requires Android 4.1.2 or later. Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
2016-1-27
Use props
ducbaole86
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-28 13:53
Below are the devices that are approved.
The NVIDIA Shield K is $200 and that will work.
iOS Version ...

Hi DJI-Ken, it seems the NVIDIA Shield K doesn't have lte, does it? So does it work normally with all of P3 functions (RTH, map, POI,..)?
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ducbaole86 Posted at 2016-1-28 13:57
Hi DJI-Ken, it seems the NVIDIA Shield K doesn't have lte, does it? So does it work normally with  ...

You don't need data, you can download map data form home.  It has a GPS and if you want Follow Me then you need a GPS, all other features without a GPS.
RTH has nothing to do with your device, the home location is set with the GPS in the aircraft when powering up.
2016-1-27
Use props
gherd
lvl.2

I have tried an ipad mini with the Standard.  Does it work?  It will connect and you will get video along with all functions (follow mode will require one with cellular.  Ipads do not have GPS unless you have one with cellular) HOWEVER... There is a very noticeable delay in response.  Also, the streaming video is choppy due to the slow processor of the Mini.  I use my P3S for photography and video.  The delay makes it very difficult to aim the camera properly.  It requires that you second guess when to let off the directional controls so the drone stops where you want it to.  The bigger issue is, if you should lose sight of the drone and are flying by camera, it is possible to fly into an object before the video shows you that you are too close.  While I have tried the ipad, I am using an iPhone 5s until I can afford a new pad.

Ken - how do you download maps prior to flight?  
2016-1-28
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

The  NVIDIA Shield tablet is hard to beat extremely powerful processor compared to most tablets and only $199.
I just bought the P3 Standard myself and use an LG G3 phone I had, which actually works great if I turn down the video resolution a little, which is fine with me, works perfect otherwise, but I will get the Nvidia Shield soon.
2016-1-28
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Be aware that the Standard does not hold a tablet without modification to the remote (possibly voiding your warranty) or a flimsy third party (often 3d printed) bracket that attaches to the already weak DJI bracket. I had a Standard so I dealt with this limitation and it really bugged me.
2016-1-28
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Tarrot FPV monitor mount.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25149206 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Square Jellyfish mini tablet tripod mount.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016-1-28
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Thing is, I haven't seen how those freaking things attach to the tablet.  I had looked at ones similar to the ebay one you linked to.  None seem to show the back of the tablet and how they attach to the tablet.
2016-1-28
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-28 15:43
Thing is, I haven't seen how those freaking things attach to the tablet.  I had looked at ones simil ...

Right, because it says it is an LCD monitor bracket not a tablet bracket. I am assuming that a monitor must have some kind of screw arrangement on the back.
2016-1-28
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

The first one is for a LCD monitor not a tablet. It looks like it screws into the back of a monitor.
This is more like what you find for a tablet and it is terrible. Very wobbly and it gets in the way of the antenna. I had one and asked for my money back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-9-Tabl ... :g:4EsAAOSwqYBWmmc7

Or worse this. Don't even bother:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-9-Tabl ... :g:4EsAAOSwqYBWmmc7

I wouldn't even know what I was supposed to do with the tripod unless I was flying my Phantom while sitting at a desk.

I guess I could bring this with me out into the field. Then I would have a place to put my coffee!

http://smile.amazon.com/Tabletot ... keywords=small+desk

2016-1-28
Use props
jcooper110
lvl.1

United States

Snoop, from experience only I love the Tab A. At half the weight plus the fact that it holds a micro sd I prefer the tab a on my p3p and inspire. I don't have a data plan but rarely need to map my work. Normally I wouldn't think weight is a issue but rotator surgery will dictate a 20 minute flight comfort.
2016-1-28
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-28 15:53
The first one is for a LCD monitor not a tablet. It looks like it screws into the back of a monitor ...

let me get the youtube video that shows it working great

Seems its working great for this guy.
2016-1-28
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-1-28 16:14
let me get the youtube video that shows it working great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH4BgMGJ ...

Ok, now I get it. So, another $30 dollars to attach a tablet, but it looks like a good solution.
2016-1-28
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-28 16:22
Ok, now I get it. So, another $30 dollars to attach a tablet, but it looks like a good solution.

I ordered both to try but i went with the smartphone version.  One is US shipper the other China so will be a while before I can give feedback
2016-1-28
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-28 14:50
Right, because it says it is an LCD monitor bracket not a tablet bracket. I am assuming that a mon ...

Thank you friend!  I hadn't made that connection.  I am thinking I can still go with the monitor bracket and 3D print a tablet holder for it.
2016-1-28
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-28 16:34
Thank you friend!  I hadn't made that connection.  I am thinking I can still go with the monitor b ...

Check out the video ^^^ from dacofty. Apparently you use the bracket from eBay and the tablet holder from the tripod thingy at Amazon.
2016-1-28
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-28 14:53
The first one is for a LCD monitor not a tablet. It looks like it screws into the back of a monitor ...
I guess I could bring this with me out into the field. Then I would have a place to put my coffee!

http://smile.amazon.com/Tabletot ... keywords=small+desk

Just sayin...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark- ... -Warm-Gray/46271771
2016-1-28
Use props
Chicago Air Dro
lvl.2

United States

IPad Air 2 is the way to go great picture good response, we love them.
2016-1-28
Use props
1138studios
New
Flight distance : 58294 ft
United States

I would say don't buy any DJI products if you will ever fly it over any form of water as this will void your warraanty according to DJI customer Service -
Apparently flying a DJI Phantom Pro3 over any body of water will now void your warranty if it crashes into it, even if the failure was due to a DJI failure of some sort and not user error.  After weeks of emails and phone calls to get DJI to replace mine today they sent me the following explaination for why they will not honor their warranty.

"Dear Gino Barasa

By choosing to fly the unit over open bodies of water, you run the risk of anything that may happen to the unit, whether it be user error, product malfunction, or some force of nature, it will not be repairable, and considered a total loss. If this were over open land, as we suggest, this would have been a simple repair, possibly, and more than likely covered by warranty.

By choosing to still fly the unit, after noticing possible issues, over a lake, I believe you are at least partially responsible."

So, even if the unit crashed due to "product malfunction" they will not honor their warranty if it lands in water, which is strange because you won't find that anywhere on their own website. But you will find a ton of images and videos of DJI drones flying over rivers, and lakes, and oceans and back yard pools.
The "possible issues" that they mention was a "critical battery failure that appeared on the flight previous to the crash. I landed the Phantom when the warning came on and switched out the battery.  I then flew the bird over my head a for a minute to see if the warning would come back on with a new battery, which it didn't. I then sent it out of the lake and it immadiately shut off and dropped out of the sky about 50 feet away. I retrieved the wet drone and dried it out over 3 days. It powers up but has issues and DJI will not warraty the item despite the logs showing no user error, because - yes - I flew it over water - which is apparently a HUGE no no for all DJI product users.

Does that sound awesome to all of you or what?
2016-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules