RTH Experiment
756 7 2016-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeff957
lvl.2

United States

Wondering if I start the phantom-establish home point- take off -i get in the car and drive 5 miles down the road and establish new dynamic home point and press RTH buttom-turn off controller will the Phantom come back to the new home point 5iles down the road?
2016-1-31
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Jeff,

Should work but only if you have a signal the entire time you are going 5 miles down the road. Not something that I would be in a hurry to test. If you decide to give it a go make sure you let us know how it turned out!

Jerry
2016-1-31
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

First try or by walking around 40 - 50 meters away, set a dynamic home point and see if it works..

If it works well then it should work for 5miles away, at which point it becomes a battery issue to get you to the distance required.
2016-1-31
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Just be careful with your altitude.  I don't believe the dynamic home point updates the height from take off (how could it?) so if your 5 mile drive is uphill, there's a chance your Phantom will fly into the ground.
2016-1-31
Use props
jeff957
lvl.2

United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-31 06:39
Just be careful with your altitude.  I don't believe the dynamic home point updates the height from  ...

Do you need RC signal with phantom to establish new home point? As indicated by above post ..I need RC signal to establish new home point?
2016-1-31
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

yes because it updates the phantom on where to land, if you do not have signal then the phantom doesnt know anything but the original RTH
2016-1-31
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

jeff957 Posted at 2016-1-31 15:06
Do you need RC signal with phantom to establish new home point? As indicated by above post ..I nee ...

The home point is stored in the Phantom.  If you don't have a signal, how can your RC set the new home point?

If you lose RC signal, it'll either hover or return to the last home point recorded, depending on your settings.
2016-1-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, you can reset the home point on a Phantom either to the aircraft position or your position (with GPS phone/tablet.
You can drive and down the road and reset every few minutes and it will keep resetting the home point. You shouldn't lose RC signal because your not that far from the aircraft as your following it or it's following you.
With the Inspire, since there's a GPS in the RC you do not need a GPS phone/tablet to reset home point to the RC.
2016-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules