Calibration tip
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alexlapo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I just want to note to all you phantom flyers, I have a P3S I took it out one day and all 'pre flight checks' where ok except for 1... Celebrating compass... Because I always fly my drone in the same area I never need to calibrate the compass however, this time round I drove to a different area and I did not carry out the only pre flight check of calibration!, this is just a heads up and a must, just before takeoff of this flight I still had 'safe to fly (GPS)' in green at the top, soon as I took off within about 15 seconds (around 120ft high, 100ft distance) the green status bar suddenly changed to 'compass error NON GPS' mode, I panicked and tried to gain control of the drone as it is drifting off, I strongly recommend that you go to a safe and open field and practice flying your drone with NON GPS just I case anything like what happened to me knocks you off GPS mode

2016-2-2
Use props
alexlapo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

**Calibrating compass** lol
2016-2-2
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

And I strongly recommend you do the same!
2016-2-2
Use props
nix240z
lvl.2

United States

also don't have anything metal on you while doing the calibration. IE: a belt, change in your pocket, cell phone, knife, metal framed glasses, etc......
2016-2-2
Use props
afiend69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

Calibration!! Lets all calibrate and have a good time
2016-2-2
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

afiend69 Posted at 2016-2-2 12:38

Too Funny.

2016-2-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should always learn to fly in ATTI  mode AND also be able to fly ATTI on a very windy day.
2016-2-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

afiend69 Posted at 2016-2-2 17:38

Groaaannnn !!!! Your hat & coat are in the corner, please leave when Calibration complete

But a good reminder non the less, I will think of that song each time I calibrate now.
2016-2-2
Use props
gherd
lvl.2

"also don't have anything metal on you while doing the calibration. IE: a belt, change in your pocket, cell phone, knife, metal framed glasses, etc......"

I always strip down naked before calibrating.  
2016-2-2
Use props
afiend69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

speaking of calibration... I just walked my whole house with a level and can't find anything that is level .. ugh.  guess I will have to shim
2016-2-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

afiend69 Posted at 2016-2-3 07:01
speaking of calibration... I just walked my whole house with a level and can't find anything that is ...

your house is on a hill?
Shim some paper or something like this should work
2016-2-3
Use props
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
Bermuda

afiend69 Posted at 2016-2-2 19:01
speaking of calibration... I just walked my whole house with a level and can't find anything that is ...

I did the exact same thing - I found one paving slab outside (hereafter, "The Magic Slab") that's actually level.
2016-2-3
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

tim.hulse Posted at 2016-2-3 06:39
I did the exact same thing - I found one paving slab outside (hereafter, "The Magic Slab") that's a ...

Well, that takes care of leveling for IMU calibration - is there any rebar in that slab - that will foul up your compass calibration!

(I'm betting you knew that already!)

It is amazing, however, how many people seem to think you must have  a level surface to calibrate the compass!

A TV ad just came on - we need to get one of those Progressive "name your price" tools. Then we can tell DJI what we're willing to pay for our birds. Oh, that's right - those things only work for Progressive insurance. LOL

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2016-2-3
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is always recommended to practice ATTI mode. In fact I enjoy flying in ATTI, just be sure to keep your Phantom in sight. Also power up and take off in GPS mode to let the RTH know where you are. You can change back and forth in the modes while flying.
2016-2-3
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

afiend69 Posted at 2016-2-2 11:38

That was Funny, I mean My drink squirted out my nose and everything. Made me day.

Cheers -donnie

Ca-li-brate- Good- time's--- C"mon... lets Calibrate !
2016-2-3
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

gherd Posted at 2016-2-2 14:50
"also don't have anything metal on you while doing the calibration. IE: a belt, change in your pocke ...

" I always strip down naked before calibrating"

I swear to god that crossed my mind............

Cheers -donnie
2016-2-3
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

gherd Posted at 2016-2-2 12:50
"also don't have anything metal on you while doing the calibration. IE: a belt, change in your pocke ...

That won't help me.  I will have to amputate my arm and leg for accurate calibration I suppose.  But how will I do the Calibration dance then?
2016-2-6
Use props
christopherglen
lvl.1

United States

Part of my takeoff routine is to get up above all the obstructions on GPS, then switch to AATI to gauge the wind.  From there I go up to max altitude, looking for wind shear (the drone suddenly changed direction and/or speed).  I live at the base of a hill, and 100' up there is usually wind, no matter how calm it is on the ground.  If I travel more then 10 or so miles I also recalibrate the compass.
2016-2-6
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

United States

Flying in Atti mode is like flying most other standard RC drones.  But its still easier.  Most other drones are very throttle dependent and relies entirely on the pilot to keep it from going too high or crashing down.  There is nothing holding its elevation.  So if you can fly a faster rc drone, than you can fly in atti, except with the phantom you get added weight and stability
2016-2-14
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I most always have an attitude when I fly.
2016-2-18
Use props
quikdom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Always take off fly to around 4 or 5 feet, let it settle for a few seconds and do some simple moves before heading off into the skies.  May not of changed anything, but its a good practice.
2016-2-19
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I first got my P3S , I must have bumped the S1 switch so I was flying in ATTI mode.  Didn't realize it till after the flight... Nothing bad happened so now I add that to my pre-flight checklist... ensure S1 is in upmost position prior to flight
2016-2-19
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

I just don't understand why some pilots hit the throttle straight away and climb to dizzy heights within 15 seconds after taking off.  Irrespective of having done the naked calibration voodoo dance or not, its irresponsible!

1. LEARN TO FLY ATTI PROFICIENTLY (yes I left caps on for a reason) !!! - learn to walk before running!
2. Before taking off do a preflight check. - there are numerous lists, even on this forum.
3. After taking off, hover at a height of 2-3meters in front of yourself for at least 30 seconds to 1 minute (or more if necessary) and check everything. Sticks-LRFBYT, GPS number of sats, battery state and voltage levels etc..  Make sure the craft is stable before getting an itchy throttle thumb.

I have followed the preflight check and 30-60 seconds hover habit for over 25 years starting from the days I learnt to fly helis till today and have caught countless issues,safely landed, sorted the issue and had millions of successful flights over those years. - so much so that till today I still confidently fly my vintage Kalt Whisper heli (one of the only two surviving flying models in the world, that I know of, for which spares are no longer available anywhere in the world).

For all you young pilots I would say one of thing:  Patience, you must have, young Padawans and sure you are to be, rewarded with a successful flight!  

2016-2-19
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

afiend69 Posted at 2016-2-2 12:38

Calibrate good times, come on! (Let's Calibrate)
There's a party goin' on right here
A calibration to last throughout the years
So bring your good times, and your Phantom too
We gonna Calibrate your party with you
Come on now
calibration
Let's all Calibrate and have a good time
calibration
We gonna Calibrate and have a good time
2016-2-19
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

microcyb Posted at 2016-2-19 22:27

Nice One!!!! Oh, Wise one... !
I wonder if the young ones will be able to "name that tune"...
2016-2-19
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-2-19
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

I use Sony Vegas Studio, you can get DaVinci Resolve that has a free version.
2016-2-19
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

Mexico

Morph1 Posted at 2016-2-19 22:56
haha, lets celebrate the calibration
I have done a couple flights where I was 180 km away from ...

Lens filters- great idea.
I'm shooting w/ an 18 - 32 in the bright beach sun

Cheers
2016-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules