Crashed it, dammit
1423 18 2016-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dawgfanjeff
New
United States

Flying Phantom Pro 3. So after reading all the noob advice, and with 10 flights under my belt, I decided I knew everything and it was time to take some chances.

Was flying in FPV mode over my house, out of view, ...decided to bring her back and since I wanted to be sure that I didn't crash it into a tree, I decided to bring it up 300ft or so.  Unfortunately, the camera was pointed down at the time and I didn't realize that I was already under a limb, hit it on ascent, heard some pzzzzt noises, got up and watched the last second or two of it hitting my concrete driveway.  It fell from about 25 ft, so it wasn't catastrophic.  Some cosmetic damage, a destroyed prop.  No big deal.  Although I haven't done a complete flying test, a quick flight (with new prop) around went perfectly.  In fact. It was even more responsive because of the other damage...The camera broke off.   

So, I need to replace some or all of it (rrgh).   Obviously, I'd love to salvage as much as I can, but I'd hate to go through replacing pieces only to find that it's damaged internally and I have to replace the whole thing anyway.  

Thoughts on what I am in for?   

Pics of detachment included.

<prepares to learn expensive lesson...>

20160206_121424.jpg
20160206_121551.jpg
2016-2-6
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Check out www.phantomhelp.com
http://phantomhelp.com/#ReplacementPartsP3 for parts and accessories, depending on if only the gimbal or base plate is damaged there are fairly inexpensive solutions for that, the ribbon cable looks fubarred as well.
I would say if it seems to otherwise fly normally to take it out a bit more to double check it is stable etc., recal or at least check IMU etc. to be safe and then determine if you want to go ahead with the camera repair..

As the camera cannot look "up" per say and only with the horizon you would only have known about that branch if you were in LOS...

Sorry about the crash but i bet you will not do that again!

Good luck..
Dammit.JPG
2016-2-6
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

Yikes! DJI should beef up those Camera/Gimbal parts a bit, they seem to break far too easy.
Good luck.
2016-2-6
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

snowsurferss Posted at 2016-2-7 03:16
Yikes! DJI should beef up those Camera/Gimbal parts a bit, they seem to break far too easy.
Good luc ...

It fell from approx 25'...have you ever dropped your phone or a TV or other sensitive item from that height?...I am surprised the Phantom even flew after that..
2016-2-6
Use props
rasit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386089 ft
United States

snowsurferss Posted at 2016-2-7 03:16
Good luc ...

These aren't made for crashing. OOV (out of view) flying can get expensive...
2016-2-6
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I just had the exact same damage.  You will need a new camera/gimbal.  I got one on ebay for 359.00.  About a 5 minute repair job.  Good as new.  There is a gimbal repair kit,  but only the arm.  Where yours is broke,  no kit.  Also,  because the broken part probably was bouncing around inside the housing,  it may have shorted something.  In any case,  no parts available for that.  Good luck.
2016-2-6
Use props
skinny1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16821 ft
United States

Wonder if a gimbal saver would have helped?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... sr_1_22&sr=8-22
2016-2-6
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

ooo you are lucky that your quad are flying after that crash.  
sorry about that,  i crash i syma x8  and it hurts i can't imagine  how i can fell if i crash my phantom (i hope never happens )
i hope you can repair it easy
2016-2-6
Use props
nathiansteir
New
Flight distance : 1778734 ft
United States

I just crashed mine today form about the same height. I had a gimbal saver on it and the camera ripped right off on the same spot. Those gimbal savers are a joke. Never again.
2016-2-6
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I wouldn't call it a joke.  How did the Phantom hit the ground?  Actually it doesn't matter.  The inertia of it hitting from that height will break it even if nothing hits the camera/gimbal.
2016-2-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-2-7 02:01
Check out www.phantomhelp.com
http://phantomhelp.com/#ReplacementPartsP3 for parts and accessories, ...

The camera can look up 15 degrees and does give you some  partial overhead view.
2016-2-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for the crash, if you cannot repair it yourself you really should send it in. besides needing a new gimbal/camera, there could be internal damage that you are unaware of.
2016-2-6
Use props
nrechtman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1555344 ft
United States

Do what DJI-Ken recommends and contact DJI support for an RMA to send it back, They'll even email you a shipping label.
2016-2-7
Use props
dawgfanjeff
New
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-7 01:45
Sorry for the crash, if you cannot repair it yourself you really should send it in. besides needing  ...

I may end up doing this...
I am very comfortable swapping parts, but I have seen some questionable behavior with GPS, losing connectivity and being unable to calibrate it in the same spot where I had no problem doing it before.  I think a local repair place or sending it back may be the best (and most expensive ) choice, but..I'd hate for there to be some damage that causes a flyaway or failsafe landing into a lake.  
2016-2-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

dawgfanjeff Posted at 2016-2-13 02:41
I may end up doing this...
I am very comfortable swapping parts, but I have seen some questionable ...

DJI can do the repair and free shipping both ways, repair times are less than 2 weeks.
Call 818-235-0789 and get the process started if you want.
2016-2-12
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

LOS the cost of not having it is high and risky. Which is why tptb include it as a regulation. Sorry for your loss. Expensive learning curve.
2016-2-12
Use props
ArcticM39
lvl.2

United States

Sorry for your loss.
I had a similar crash last week, dropping 20 feet after hitting a palm tree.
The P3A suffered a bent gimbal yaw arm and two dinged CF props.
I did installed the gimbal saver, and I wondered if it did its job. The camera is working but a bit skew.
I bought a repair kit online (which comes with new cable) and will attempt my own repair.
2016-2-12
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

skinny1 Posted at 2016-2-6 21:02
Wonder if a gimbal saver would have helped?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018WKAFSQ?keywords=Ph ...

I got one and even though i have not crashed, they are easy to install and give you some solid extra protection.
2016-2-12
Use props
NAM
New

United States

Get it covered for crash damage. That's exactly the kind of crash we created our Service Contract to cover. https://neary-aerial.com
2016-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules