drone regulations in Australia
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
febriantoarbi
lvl.1

Australia

Hi guys , so i just moved to Melbourne , Australia. i come from developed country which has less rules against drones. wish to know the drone regulations here . have read some articles , but not quite sure yet whether  i need a certificate or not to fly the drone in this country. can you guys please explain  to me more about flying drone regulations here ? thanks.

my quadcopter : DJI phantom 3 adv.
2016-2-7
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Start here: https://www.casa.gov.au/operatio ... el-aircraft-and-rpa
2016-2-7
Use props
Southy4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1017736 ft
Australia

There is a free app in iTunes. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/ ... ne/id965781113?mt=8
2016-2-7
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

Welcome to Australia!..., You are going to absolutely L.O.V.E Melbourne!!

As you have moved to Melbourne, Now Remember These Important things :

• Melbourne is Way Better then Sydney in Every way.., The Coffee is Better, The Food & Wine Is Better, The Culture, The Restaurants, The People are Friendlier, the Weather.... Everything!
  • Hawks is the Best Footy Team EVER!... Case Closed!!!... dont let anybody convince you otherwise because they are lying!!
  • Hook Turns Make Complete Sense... Non Melbornians just dont have the mental acumen to understand!!
  • Always, Just Chill out and relex..., She'beRight!!!

Now that we have discussed the "important things" back to topic....

You dont need a certificate to fly as a hobby, but you will if you are planning to fly for commercial/profit reasons you will need to be tested and registered.
You will find lots of parks and open spaces in VIC. you can fly in most, but just follow the CASA gudelines in the web pages posted above. Dont ignore them as CASA has been known to serve infringement notices!
The people are very friendly, and some will ask you lots of questions about your P3. I have never had a bad (or even close to bad) experience.

If in doubt, just ask! people are usually willing to help. - for example a while ago i went to Cranbourne Gardens, I just asked if I could fly and take pictures, the park rangers were really friendly and said I could as long as i didnt fly above buldings and people.

Happy Flying.

2016-2-7
Use props
febriantoarbi
lvl.1

Australia

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-2-7 20:38
Welcome to Australia!..., You are going to absolutely L.O.V.E Melbourne!!

As you have moved to Melb ...

hey thanks for your answer . so i found out that shrine of remembrance and its surroundings ( including the botanical garden) is a good place to fly my DJI , do u think is it legal to fly drone there? based on CASA regulations?
2016-2-8
Use props
SydneyMark
lvl.2

Australia

febriantoarbi Posted at 2016-2-9 18:37
hey thanks for your answer . so i found out that shrine of remembrance and its surroundings ( incl ...

there are a few buildings like military shrines that I think are not allowed to be filmed, got into trouble in the past with a regular video camera i seem to remember
2016-2-8
Use props
eg_tan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3260358 ft
  • >>>
Australia

febriantoarbi Posted at 2016-2-9 17:37
hey thanks for your answer . so i found out that shrine of remembrance and its surroundings ( incl ...

http://www.shrine.org.au/About-Us/Photography-at-the-Shrine

Regulation on photography at the shrine is in above link.
2016-9-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

febriantoarbi Posted at 2016-2-9 17:37

It would be very difficult to not break the CASA regulations at those two places, because you are expected to stay away from buildings and people, and that is hardly possible at those locations. Generally speaking, you do not get hassled by authorities in Australia. But in any event, if you get away from the middle of the city, there are some amazing places to fly anyway.
2016-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules