Steps to take for loss of signal?
1387 11 2016-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SFGiants24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394524 ft

United States

I have about 30 flights with my P3A and have never had an issue until today. I had flown one battery, and put a fresh one in for my second flight of the day. As soon as I put the bird in the air, the video started getting choppy. I had full control, so I decided to fly on. After I had flow about 2500 feet out and 200 feet up, and the video really started breaking up and the distance reading was jumping 50 feet at time, so I figured I had better turn it around for home. This was when things got interesting. The bird did not want to turn or come back in a straight line. As I was trying to turn it, it kind of did a figure 8 before I got i going in the right direction. I was poised to hit the RTH button, but unfortunately Home point was recorded from the last time I flew in this particular park, which was about 4600 feet away-on a different ridge with a lot of hill climbing involved. I thought about turning the RC off and then back on to try and get the signal back. I understand this would have triggered RTH , but would I have potentially got the signal back and been able to take control again? Or should I have closed the Go App and reopened it?

All ended well as I was able to get the bird back with no problems. I never received a "Loss of Signal" alert. I don't know why not, but as you can see in the flight log, I clearly had no signal-my signal strength reading was 0!!! Right after this, I pulled the battery, put a fresh one in, cycled the RC, and flew with no problem along the same flight path (6500 feet-my furthest so far!). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Flight log
2016-2-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

When you power on the aircraft and start the motors, the home point is automatically recorded, so it would not remember the point you recorded some time ago, and would not have been the place it would have returned to.

From your description, the aircraft was having difficult receiving the control signals, but if you had hit the RTH button, then irrespective of whether it could receive control signals, it would have come home, because once the function is triggered it is an autonomous action.
2016-2-11
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

HealthyDrones explains this for you:
Downlink data connection lost ( Data Loss ) means that the remote got partial or no flight data from the aircraft for more than 1 second, which means the data downlink had issues.

It is possible that during this time there is a sense of full control of the aircraft via the remote as well as clear video, however typically the video gets choppy and the remote controls may have some delay.

This is typically an indication that the aircraft was flying in a high interference area or that distance was a negative factor. In these conditions the aircraft is at higher risk of initiating the Return-To-Home function.

2016-2-11
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"unfortunately Home point was recorded from the last time I flew in this particular park, which was about 4600 feet away-"

This sounds unlikely.
You would have had to take off before you got a GPS fix for this to be true.
What makes you think the Phantom was working on the previous home point?
2016-2-11
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

There is no home point recorded in the log.
First lesson is: Wait for it to tell you Home Point is updated before you fly.
Regarding the signal problems I cant think of anything but interference or maybe damaged antenna.
Turn it on and see if you get a good signal as well as a new Home Point.
It may just have been a hiccup.
2016-2-12
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

[RCG]Balthazar     It may just have been a hiccup.

If it was indeed a hiccup. Proceed as follows:
1. Put Remote Controller on the ground facing you.
2. Slowly "sneak" around the back side of the Remote Controller.
3. Wait until the Remote Controller is relaxed.
4. Scream real loud and scare the hiccups right out of it.

I couldn't resist. Sorry.
Really I hope this was just a fluke that happened to you.

Mike
2016-2-12
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like there was an issue right from the get go. Glad all ended well.
2016-2-12
Use props
SFGiants24
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-11 23:05
HealthyDrones explains this for you:
Downlink data connection lost ( Data Loss ) means that the remo ...

That's the thing. I flew right afterward and I had 100% signal in exactly the same area, so it couldn't have been high interference. It had to be a glitch.
2016-2-12
Use props
SFGiants24
lvl.2

United States

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-2-12 04:47
[RCG]Balthazar     It may just have been a hiccup.

If it was indeed a hiccup. Proceed as follows:

Ha! BTW, I saw Black Sabbath Tuesday. Awesome! Even if Ozzie had to hold onto the mic stand to remain upright!
2016-2-12
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

SFGiants24 Posted at 2016-2-12 11:00
Ha! BTW, I saw Black Sabbath Tuesday. Awesome! Even if Ozzie had to hold onto the mic stand to rem ...

Ozzie... does he even sound the same anymore?.... BTW... I'm an LA Dodgers fan.... You can imagine my distaste for the SF Giants
2016-2-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad it ended good for you. Like the other person posted, the home point is recorded every time you power up the aircraft and it gets GPS lock and audible "Home point has been set"

It must have been some interference in your flight path on the the first flight.
Also, make sure to have good IMU and gimbal calibrations.
Here's a video that may help.

2016-2-12
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

Try flying higher when you get weak signal.  Unobstructed line of sight is always best.
2016-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules