video not smooth on sd card
1580 32 2016-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrgnu
lvl.2

United States

After my first flight (about 8 min) I put the sd card in my laptop and the video would pause alot, like every few seconds, like it was slow Internetģ buffering.  I didnt try the playback with the remote yet. Does anyone have any ideas.  
Thanks Jesse
2016-2-14
Use props
lenw
lvl.2

United States

I experienced the same thing. It's because the computer is not able to keep up with the video. I newer computer would probably be better able to give you smooth playback. When I plug the SD card directly into my 4K television it is smooth as butter.  I have the P3P and shoot in 4K.  
2016-2-14
Use props
Wyc0873
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140253 ft
China

Computer hardware is too old,   To configure

strong Graphics processor,  Solid hard disk, as if IMAC,16gbMemory bar,  Flash Memory512gb,3.3GHz 4 Intel Core i7 ,Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200

2016-2-14
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

It's not the computer its the decoder and the player.
I've sent this remedy to many and they've been satisfied.
Klite codec pack and Media Player Classic (Windows)
Download the full version your videos will play buttery smooth.
http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_full.htm
2016-2-14
Use props
gherd
lvl.2
United States

Copy the video to the hard drive and play it from there.  If you still have issues, try the VLC player.
2016-2-14
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

United States

I have an issue kind of like this when I view it on my phone from SD card.  there is a frame pause whenever the gps coordinates update.  It plays like butter between but when the GPU coords update the video pauses for a second
2016-2-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

As gherd says above. Put the video on the hard drive and download a copy of VLC Player.
2016-2-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gustofusion Posted at 2016-2-15 00:27
It's not the computer its the decoder and the player.
I've sent this remedy to many and they've been ...

Many people avoid Klite like the plague because it overwrites better codecs already on their machine, and knobbles those used in editing packages.
2016-2-14
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

What resolution are you trying to playback, if it's 4k  most laptops will struggle, especially if it's also having to re-scale it to an 1080p screen.

If it's only 1080p, then it really shouldn't stutter on any media player, unless your are running really old hardware.
2016-2-14
Use props
Woffski
lvl.2
United States

gherd Posted at 2016-2-14 08:35
Copy the video to the hard drive and play it from there.  If you still have issues, try the VLC play ...

Where do you down load VLC player from??
2016-2-14
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Woffski Posted at 2016-2-15 06:36
Where do you down load VLC player from??

Type VLC into google, the very first link will work.
2016-2-14
Use props
Woffski
lvl.2
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-14 18:04
Type VLC into google, the very first link will work.

Thank you sir...  Appreciated....
2016-2-14
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Woffski Posted at 2016-2-15 07:10
Thank you sir...  Appreciated....

VLC is widely accepted as being  "compatible with everything" which is probably the main reason a lot of people recomend it.
2016-2-14
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-14 16:31
Many people avoid Klite like the plague because it overwrites better codecs already on their machi ...

Many people benefit from it and receive missing codecs providing them the ability to play video types they were not previously able to play. Plus you also get the awesome media player classic along with the media info plugin that gives you very detailed information relating to how a video was encoded.
2016-2-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gustofusion Posted at 2016-2-16 05:23
Many people benefit from it and receive missing codecs providing them the ability to play video typ ...

Take a look at some of the professional editing forums and you will find they consider KLite to be almost malware. And I agree, there are better codecs out there.
2016-2-15
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-15 17:00
Take a look at some of the professional editing forums and you will find they consider KLite to be ...

Name the best x264 codec?
2016-2-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gustofusion Posted at 2016-2-16 12:48
Name the best x264 codec?

Handbrake.
2016-2-15
Use props
JonF
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I know people have pretty much answered this but I had this problem too and scratched my head for a few days.
I tried watching my 2.7k video from my P3 standard on several PC's in the office but none of then had the necessary horsepower to run anything above 1080p, even that can be a struggle on some machines.
We have one PC which we use for CAD design work with 16gb RAM and a NVIDIA geoforce graphics card and this works a charm, also my son's macbook air works brilliantly too.
2016-2-16
Use props
JonF
lvl.1

United Kingdom

JonF Posted at 2016-2-16 11:12
I know people have pretty much answered this but I had this problem too and scratched my head for a  ...

Forgot to mention I always use VLC player..
2016-2-16
Use props
foxy-stoat
lvl.2

United Kingdom

JonF Posted at 2016-2-16 11:13
Forgot to mention I always use VLC player..

You are viewing the HD file, not the cached file from the APP, made that mistake and thought the videos were rubbish quality.
2016-2-16
Use props
JonF
lvl.1

United Kingdom

foxy-stoat Posted at 2016-2-16 11:38
You are viewing the HD file, not the cached file from the APP, made that mistake and thought the v ...

Yeah that's another good point, if you watch through the app then you are just watching the streamed 720p video which is fine but if you watch direct from the SD on a low spec PC then it will struggle.
2016-2-16
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

That's an application. Whats the best h264 codec?
2016-2-16
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

Everyone is shouting about codecs, apps, computers, files.  I had this issue.  My laptop just could not handle it.  That is not to say it is not your media player, codec, etc.  But first of all, establish if your computer is enough for the file.  What resolution did you film in?  What are the stats of your computer? Ram, Processor, Video Card, Hard Drive, etc
2016-2-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gustofusion Posted at 2016-2-17 00:01
That's an application. Whats the best h264 codec?

I couldn't care. I use Handbrake to encode any h.264 material I need, not that there is much.
2016-2-16
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-16 17:10
I couldn't care. I use Handbrake to encode any h.264 material I need, not that there is much.

Handbreak encodes in .x264, not .h264 .  Apple is the .h264 people.
2016-2-16
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

jaronpv@hotmail Posted at 2016-2-16 10:36
Everyone is shouting about codecs, apps, computers, files.  I had this issue.  My laptop just could  ...

With the right "Decoder" a 8-10 year old laptop will play 4k footage. Decoders are where the power is not so much the hardware.
2016-2-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gustofusion Posted at 2016-2-17 12:01
Handbreak encodes in .x264, not .h264 .  Apple is the .h264 people.

Screenshot:

HB.jpg
HB.jpg
2016-2-16
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

Which one is it? Can't be both? They suggest because the majority are familiar with .h264 and have never even heard of the open source .x264. Only apple products or Applications licensed to use the apple .h264 codec and only where apple quicktime is installed can use the apple .h264 encoder. Hope this clarifies things.

Untitled-1.gif
2016-2-17
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

gustofusion Posted at 2016-2-16 18:03
With the right "Decoder" a 8-10 year old laptop will play 4k footage. Decoders are where the power ...

yes, with the right one an 8-10 year old laptop will be able to. Unless, say, it is an 8-10 year old laptop with the average hardware from 8-10 years ago.  Most laptops back then had a dual core processor, unless special requests for a higher one, 1-2 GB of ram, and integrated video, not a video card.  I have tried with many old laptops.  They simply will not cut it.  Besides you can just give up at any sort editing at all with an old laptop and 4k video.  I know from experience, not cause I am assuming so.

BUT, if you are able to make an old laptop work, that is awesome! All the power to you. Definitely saves you money!  For me, It was not worth the hastle of waiting an eternity for a video to render or play.  So, therefore, hello new top of the line laptop!  
2016-2-17
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

your hardware in laptop probably cant handle it.

But
if you are actually playing your video FROM the sd card while in the computer it will cache and play as described.

copy the file from th card to hard drive prior to playing.
2016-2-17
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

The original post was addressing playback... not editing.
2016-2-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gustofusion Posted at 2016-2-18 00:34
Which one is it? Can't be both? They suggest because the majority are familiar with .h264 and have  ...

I am not sure what you are saying when you write '.h264', the correct name is H.264 and that is the name of the standard. It is not owned by Apple, they simply pay a licence to use it like anyone else.

Handbrake puts the choice 'H.264 (x.264)' in brackets because what they are saying is that it is the H.264 standard and they are actually using the open implementation x.264. In essence, there is no difference in the two, the open source version produces a file encoded in the same manner, except there is no licence fee to use the encoder. This is why Handbrake will be using it, as a freeware writer cannot afford to pay licensing fees.

Handbrake is the encoder of choice for many professionals, as it accepts a wide range of input video formats and allows complete control over every single aspect of the MPEG encoding process.

2016-2-17
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

gustofusion Posted at 2016-2-17 21:34
Which one is it? Can't be both? They suggest because the majority are familiar with .h264 and have  ...

H.264 is owned by various parties, not Apple. It is also royalty free in some uses.

What Gustofusion is alluding too, is that h.264 is not a codec, but rather a Video Standard (or Group of Standards), a codec is a piece of software/hardware (or both) that is used to code or decode said video or audio standard.

So essentially H.264 is a set of rules, and the codec encodes or decodes based on those rules, but sometimes some codecs for the same set of rules are more or less efficient.

Sometimes people create a codec based on their own set of rules, and in this case the codec is essentially a codec and the standard in one

x264 is an codec that codes/encodes into the  h264 standard, but because it's open source they can not call it an h264 codec because they are not paying licensing fees.

Programs like VLC and handbrake normally include several codecs for different standards, whether they have made their own, or are using  pre-existing codec (either by license, or an open source one). Handbrake for example, uses the open source x264 codec

x264 is often considered the best codec for h264, but I don't know if this is based on performance, or simply the fact it's free.
2016-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules