Motor Obstructed Error After Crash
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanBG20
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11995 ft
United States

I had a small crash trying to fly my P3A back into the house (so I didn't have to land in snow).  I had the propeller guards on but one leg missed the table and it flipped to its side and struck a chair.  I broke two propellers but also noticed that one propeller would no longer spin...plus the app displayed the error "Motor Obstructed".  I turned it off, did some research, powered it back up, and now it seems to be working fine.  I was sure I burned out a motor but apparently not...  Should I worry that one of the motors could shut down during flight?  Is my P3A likely ok?  It was a pathetic little crash as it just fell off the table, but the motors were still spinning for about 2 second before I shut them down.  Any advice on things to check before I fly again?  Thanks, Dan
2016-2-16
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The motors can become stuck (jammed) if a small piece of debris gets inside the motor.  Hold the craft upside down and gently turn the motor back and forth and the debris usually falls out.  A little shot of compressed air helps too.
2016-2-16
Use props
DanBG20
lvl.1
United States

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2016-2-16 19:49
The motors can become stuck (jammed) if a small piece of debris gets inside the motor.  Hold the cra ...

Thank you for the reply.  Is it possible that the P3 was just obstructed by an object (in this case the chair) and a fail safe kicked in to shut the motor off?  Based on other threads I found, it doesn't sound like the motors will auto-shut off in a situation like this...though maybe some particles of wood broke off the chair and obstructed the motor.
2016-2-16
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

When you stated the motor would no longer spin I was assuming the power was off and you were trying to hand turn it.  Sounds like you had the motor stop (by hitting an object) which will cause it to draw more electrical current which could burn it out.  However the phantom has over current protection which stop the flow to the stopped motor.  Cycling the power to the phantom reset the fuse so to speak and the motor will function normally.
2016-2-17
Use props
DanBG20
lvl.1
United States

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2016-2-17 10:15
When you stated the motor would no longer spin I was assuming the power was off and you were trying  ...

Excellent...thanks so much.  That's what I was hoping to better understand.
2016-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules