2296 10 2015-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
metalios
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
United States

Credit to DJI for their case. It's apparent however that it's inadequate for checked baggage.  

Can we all use this thread to post updates on manufacturers and their cases. My intial thoughts:

1.  Tradecraftcases provided my favorite for the P2V and they will be receiving their Inspire this week and need about a month to produce. Early to mid February shipping. I'm sure they'll update their website when they know more. Their pricing has been very reasonable and it's an excellent combination of size and wieght relative to protection.

2.  We all know about goprofessionals case. Great protection, bit initially seems bigger than necessary and very expensive.

3.  The foam insert from the DJI case is too big for the HPRC 2700.

4.  Another option is to buy a standard Pelican or other HPRC case and place the DJI case (or foam insert) within the case. Nothing seems to fit great but would be interested in what others find.
2015-1-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Simple, save the packaging that you receive your Inspire in and use that if you have to reship the Inspire in it's case.
2015-1-6
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have taken my Inspire on two airline flights so far.  Both were on Southwest Airlines.  The case is oversized for carryon luggage but people fly with oversized luggage all the time.  However, it does fit in the overhead bin.  TSA did not even open the case to check it.  
2015-1-6
Use props
metalios
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

That's good to know for Southwest. Hate to get unlucky however and have someone force me to gate check the DJI case. Travelling to Europe from NY on Thursday and won't risk it.

Will also be travelling JetBlue to St. Maarten at the end of the month and will try it then as a carry on. If anyone has any experience with JetBlue or other airlines in the interim, we'd all be grateful for an update.
2015-1-6
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

My mantra would be, this case contains LiPo batteries and it is not allowed in the belly of the plane.  Move someone else's bag.  I have not had to use that to date.  I do understand your concern.  I fly with a trade craft case with my P2's and it will not fit in the bin length wise, I have to turn it sideways.  When I do that, it takes more room than the Inspire case.
2015-1-6
Use props
Geoffdb
lvl.2

United States

Any pics of the case?
2015-1-7
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I have been looking at cases for the Inspire.  I currently have a Peli Case 1560 for my Phantom 2 + extras and its a really robust military grade case.

Looking at similar cases in the Peli range, I think the Peli Storm 2875 dimensions should work with the Inspire.  If anyone has used a Peli case for the Inspire please let me know.
2015-1-23
Use props
ooilouis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119062 ft
Singapore

anyone tried with the budget airline like airasia?
2015-1-23
Use props
jebryant10.emai
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56112 ft
United States

The DJI case for the Inspire 1 is a nice size but I do not like the zipper, I wish it had a latch instead. I am meeting with a Case Engineer today to see what options I have to upgrade the case. The cases I have seen on the web are too big and heavy. I will post if I have anything positive.
2015-1-23
Use props
jebryant10.emai
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56112 ft
United States

The engineer said the best and the cheapest way to go is pick a case with cut foam from the web and buy it. Now I just need to see what case I want.  
2015-1-23
Use props
metalios
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I have the found both the HPRC and Pelican cases to be heavy options, although suitable  if you don't mind the size and are looking for the best protection. Neither one has a close size for the Inspire or the DJI foam insert - the Inspire height forces you to go to larger width and depth than necessary.

My personal preference is small and lighter and  will wait to see what Tradecraft comes up with. I traveled many times with their P2V cases, in checked luggage, without incident. Also waiting to see if someone simply designs a hard wheeled case that to which we can simply transfer our DJI inserts.  

Finally, I love the DJI backpack for the P2V. Very small form factor, light, fits the P2V like a glove, and much better portability than other backpacks like Gopofessional's. (I like gopro's products - but prefer the DJI backpack as a personal choice). I am hoping DJI or someone else comes up with something for the Inspire.
2015-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules