Exposure value gets stuck; not always changing with wheel
904 6 2016-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
youngskyculler
lvl.1

Indonesia

*edited for clarity*

Sometimes the exposure value does not change when I roll the exposure wheel on the transmitter, even though I hear the beep that acknowledges the input.  That seems like an app or firmware issue.  When it gets stuck in this state I have to roll the wheel 1 or 2 complete revolutions (5-10 clicks/beeps) to get the exposure setting to start responding again.

There is a less common issue where rolling the wheel 1 or 2 clicks is not even acknowledged with a beep.   

Have others seen either of these issues?  Suggestions for what I can do to remedy it?  

2016-2-21
Use props
youngskyculler
lvl.1

United States

Nobody has had this happen?  Or am I being unclear about what's happening?
2016-2-24
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

United States

I had it happen once possibly, but it hasn't been an ongoing problem for me.

One possibility, the wheel can be clicked by pressing it inwards.  Maybe try clicking it?
2016-2-24
Use props
youngskyculler
lvl.1

United States

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-24 17:32
I had it happen once possibly, but it hasn't been an ongoing problem for me.

One possibility, the w ...

Yes, I click it periodically to swap between ISO and shutter speed.  No problem there.  Only when I roll it to bump a value up or down.  How do I get DJI to weigh in on this post?  Is it just a patience thing?
2016-2-24
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

youngskyculler Posted at 2016-2-24 20:20
Yes, I click it periodically to swap between ISO and shutter speed.  No problem there.  Only when  ...

Aloha skyculler,

This problem used to happen to me.  Oddly enough, today I went out to fly and thought I would see how my exposure problem was doing.  Was it going to still give me grief?  So, I tested it.

My problem is when panning toward and away from the direction of the sun.  The auto-exposure was not working well enough to smooth out the exposure changes.  So, I thought I would try the exposure dial.  Initially, I got the same results you are experiencing.  I thought I broke it!  Then I just decided to step back and go slower at the problem.  Things started to work much better when I slowed down and planned my pans better so I could turn the dial slower.  Today, the exposure for full circle pans went much, much better as I practiced the technique.  The beep was way more regular than before.

Today was with the auto-exposure enabled, next, I will try the manual exposure again.  Today, I looked at the exposure settings much more closely to see how they were changing.  They made sense as I closely monitored the position of the sun - and the sun was mostly behind clouds!  So keep in mind the position of the sun whether you see it or it is behind mountains or clouds - the sun is your major exposure variable.  All these things were common sense to me before, but I did not pay enough attention to what I knew was happening.  Slowing down helped me focus my attention better.

This problem is not just with pans.  Going straight over landscape with strong changes in shades and shadows can really send your exposure problem through the roof.  Doing repeated 360 pans for practice helps with technique development; if you miss it on the first cycle, get it better on the next!

We have some very nice equipment that we get to use and a lot of the equipment does a lot of the work for us.  But we still have to learn techniques to use the equipment to better so our use can approach our equipment's potential.  That is one thing that is nice about the IOC options; they take some of the workload off of our mind so we can concentrate better on getting the shot the way we want it.  Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-2-25
Use props
youngskyculler
lvl.1

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-2-25 02:51
Aloha skyculler,

This problem used to happen to me.  Oddly enough, today I went out to fly a ...

Thanks for the reply.  I do not change exposure during recording.  I use only fixed/manual exposure, and I set it to a value that works for the entire shot before I begin recording.  In any case, that isn't really the point.  The process of changing the exposure value is painful, because I cannot predict when turning the wheel will actually result in a value change.  Making adjustments slowly doesn't seem to help.  I should use my GoPro to document this behavior.
2016-2-25
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

youngskyculler Posted at 2016-2-25 11:47
Thanks for the reply.  I do not change exposure during recording.  I use only fixed/manual exposur ...

Aloha skyculler,

Yes, using a GoPro to show what you are saying would help.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules