Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rob.logicalplan
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi valued forum

I'm only 20 or so flights into drone flying so not many still novice

I have been getting used to the drone and trying some of the IOC functions

Today I thought I'd  use POI and all was going well , I managed to get it working and the drone was circulating just fine
I realised that I had not started recording so I went to  start this , but the menu  was hidden behind the ioc menu so I hid the ioc menu and then started recording

When it came to a stop the POI function I could not find the menu again to abort this , the sun was shine onto the tablet  but I was really trying to find a way back to the menu anyway after trying several menus I managed to crash the app.. Noooooooo

after having a moment of panic I hit the RTH big mistake the p3p was hover over my house less that 20 metres away , so the p3p just started the landing proccess and started to land  on my roof slanted so would of crashed  

After panic had stopped I used the direction controls whilst inchs from roof  and managed to land away on a grass verge

First post and thought it was an experience worth sharing , just when you think things are going well you get bit in the ass

All the best

2016-2-23
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Which P3 is it?  Best way to cancel poi is to switch modes on the controller back to ATTI or P-GPS.  You should practice high up & in a big open space so you can avoid problems if it doesn't go to plan.
2016-2-23
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

I believe the best way to get out of those kinds of problems is simply to switch the mode switch back to P-GPS mode. That should stop any IOC activities and put you back into normal flight mode so you can control it manually. I haven't tried this myself so someone who has tried it might like to confirm that this works.

Edit. Sorry nigelw, you beat me to it.
2016-2-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If, as suggested by the two previous posters, you switch to ATTI mode then back again, the aircraft will stop where it is and hover, waiting for you to control it. You can do this without seeing the screen. The reason it tried to land on your roof, is that if the aircraft is less than 20 meters from your home position, it will land where it is, this is normal operation.
2016-2-23
Use props
rob.logicalplan
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks  Guys ,

Went out yesterday and tried this again , flick the switch back to P worrks IOC mode stops and  you good to go -  learning with every flight
I have returned the ASUS memo 8 as it doesn't seem fast enough / reliable enough , so back to trusty Nexus 6

Still looking for tablet with GPS butt don't have iPad mini money at the moment  , ideas welcome
2016-2-24
Use props
rob.logicalplan
lvl.1

United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-23 23:45
Which P3 is it?  Best way to cancel poi is to switch modes on the controller back to ATTI or P-GPS.  ...

Thank Nigel , P3P
2016-2-24
Use props
foxy-stoat
lvl.2

United Kingdom

rob.logicalplan Posted at 2016-2-24 10:11
Thanks  Guys

Went out yesterday and tried this again , flick the switch back to P worrks IOC mode  ...

Its all a bit of a steep learning curve.

I would read the manul
Watch tutorials
Fly for a battery charge - start charging
Read manual again
Watch tutorials
Go out and have another fly

I am experimenting with the course lock function at the moment - lots of cool functions if you know how to use them in different situations.

Where abouts in the UK are you?
2016-2-24
Use props
rob.logicalplan
lvl.1

United Kingdom

foxy-stoat Posted at 2016-2-24 10:17
Its all a bit of a steep learning curve.

I would read the manul

Hey Foxy

I live in Walthamstow London , this forum is great and read every day

I have an private run allotment were I fly practice it great big  open space  ,  where I fly normally

Regards Rob
2016-2-24
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

rob.logicalplan Posted at 2016-2-24 18:24
Hey Foxy

Hey Rob!
If something goes wrong while you are using intelligent flight modes  you always can toggle the mode switch to the P mode and your drone will hover there. Don't panic take your time to think about the situation and then bring it back manually.
2016-2-24
Use props
rob.logicalplan
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-24 10:33
Hey Rob!
If something goes wrong while you are using intelligent flight modes  you always can tog ...

Thanks Tim

Tried this yesterday and it worked just fine ,  the tablet was the first time using it ( ASUS  memo 8 ) , I have sent this back to shop  as I think it was to slow and unreliable   , back to using nexus 6

I now Looking for another tablet with GPS  maybe nexus 7 ?  Any views appreciated

All the best

2016-2-24
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

rob.logicalplan Posted at 2016-2-24 18:51
Thanks Tim

Tried this yesterday and it worked just fine ,  the tablet was the first time using i ...

never used nexus before, i mostly use iphone 6, very satisfied with it
2016-2-24
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Using Nexus 9 since August. Works fine.
2016-2-24
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

rob.logicalplan Posted at 2016-2-24 18:11
Thanks  Guys ,

Went out yesterday and tried this again , flick the switch back to P worrks IOC mod ...

Hi Rob. Welcome.

It does take some time to fully understand most functions and how the P3 behaves in certain situations.

This forum has a wealth of information, and it's worth running through some older posts as they go through solutions for certain behaviours. I.e. RTH on low batt can catch you by surprise if you don't know how it behaves. See post with my experience. http://forum.dji.com/thread-40587-1-1.html

Also battery state is worth knowing, as a partially depleted pack can catch you out: http://forum.dji.com/thread-41951-1-1.html

AND I cannot stress how important it is to learn to fly ATTI mode!
Please, please, take the time to learn to fly ATTI mode so that you are proficient at it.. It will get you out of trouble many times. It can mean the difference between walking back home with pieces of the P3 or a complete unit..

Don't be in a rush to do it.. It takes time, but very rewarding.

Good luck and have fun flying.
2016-2-24
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

rob.logicalplan Posted at 2016-2-24 18:51
Thanks Tim

Tried this yesterday and it worked just fine ,  the tablet was the first time using i ...

I'm an iPad user so unfortunately don't have experience with an android platform. Sorry cannot help on this one.
2016-2-24
Use props
Chris K
lvl.1

United States

rob.logicalplan Posted at 2016-2-24 05:11
Thanks  Guys ,

Went out yesterday and tried this again , flick the switch back to P worrks IOC mod ...

Ipad air 2 is well worth the investment, you wont be sorry!
2016-2-24
Use props
quikdom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

rob.logicalplan Posted at 2016-2-24 10:24
Hey Foxy

Ex Carr Rd resident and St George Monoux employee now p3p flyer in Cornwall :-)
2016-2-24
Use props
nick4098
lvl.2

United Kingdom

quikdom Posted at 2016-2-24 15:46
Ex Carr Rd resident and St George Monoux employee now p3p flyer in Cornwall :-)

I'm in Cornwall too, just getting into the P3 thing.

Any good tips on locations to fly?  I'm mostly interested in filming/photographing the wealth of natural beauty round here.
2016-2-24
Use props
rasit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386089 ft
United States

Congratulations on surviving your first uh-oh moment! Not everybody makes it through unscathed...
2016-2-24
Use props
quikdom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

nick4098 Posted at 2016-2-24 17:41
I'm in Cornwall too, just getting into the P3 thing.

Any good tips on locations to fly?  I'm most ...

Hi, where in Cornwall are you?
2016-2-25
Use props
nick4098
lvl.2

United Kingdom

quikdom Posted at 2016-2-25 09:46
Hi, where in Cornwall are you?

I'm in Bodmin.
2016-2-25
Use props
Advanced