What editing software?
1148 12 2016-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gberotti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 122113 ft
United States

What software can I use to remove unwanted frames/sections of a 4K (*.mov) video file before saving the file for editing?  My intent is to save storage space.  

I know I can select In and Out points on a time line in editing software (I use Premiere Elements 14 for editing).  I want to discard useless footage before starting the real edit.  In most cases, I am shooting 4k video.  For example, I may want to save only 0.05 GB of a 2 GB file.
2016-2-24
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

for Windows and 4K video editing software I use Sony Vegas Pro 13 for quick editing, but does have a price tag.
At least for that quick video editing for me.
I think DaVinci Resolve handles 4K also.
2016-2-24
Use props
gberotti
lvl.3
United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-2-25 02:42
for Windows and 4K video editing software I use Sony Vegas Pro 13 for quick editing, but does have a ...

Thanks for the reply.

Can I cut out the bad portions and save the reduced file at or near original quality? Premiere Elements allows me to keep the "good" parts on the timeline but as far as I can tell there is no way to keep only the good parts.  The original file has not been reduced in size.
2016-2-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gberotti Posted at 2016-2-25 07:15
Thanks for the reply.

Can I cut out the bad portions and save the reduced file at or near origina ...

In any editing software the original file is not altered. You must save the new file that has been edited to another file name.
2016-2-24
Use props
CFM01
lvl.2

United Kingdom

You could go for the cheap Sony option Movie Studio has a lot of the features of Vegas.
2016-2-24
Use props
Osoling
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-25 06:22
In any editing software the original file is not altered. You must save the new file that has been ...

Geebax got it right.  Editing software just combines your files.  It doesn't do anything to the original file.  You would have to trim the file, export it, and then delete the original.  Hard-drives on newegg.com are cheap.  Save yourself the time.  This would take so long to do just to save some drive space.  But, you do you!
2016-2-24
Use props
gherd
lvl.2
United States

Corel Video Studio Pro or Ultimate will do what you want and a lot more.  Great collection of transitions, cropping, masks, add music (comes with a bunch), etc.  Runs around $60 and is the only program you will most likely ever need.  I used it years ago for editing wedding videos and it worked great.
2016-2-24
Use props
gberotti
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-25 06:22
In any editing software the original file is not altered. You must save the new file that has been ...

My goal is to have a culled file, without degrading the remainder, before going to my editor (Premiere Elements).  Is that possible?  

see next post
2016-2-25
Use props
gberotti
lvl.3
United States

gberotti Posted at 2016-2-25 23:17
My goal is to have a culled file, without degrading the remainder, before going to my editor (Prem ...

Based on the workflow described below, would you still recommend more storage and keeping it all?

Much of my video comes from my P3P.  It is seldom worth putting it up for less than a minute of video.  My workflow calls for putting my files on my Windows 10 desktop and 2 different 4 Terabyte external hard drives.  Since I am shooting 4k video, the files are very large.  They run about 0.5 GB/minute.  A typical clip will be 1-2 GB.  Now, if I use 5 seconds out of each 60 seconds, then, 11/12th (91.7%) times 3  is not needed.
2016-2-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gberotti Posted at 2016-2-26 02:29
Based on the workflow described below, would you still recommend more storage and keeping it all?

The solution to your problem is to use a more expensive editing program that generates and uses proxies. These are low resolution copies of your original files that are used while editing. At the conclusion, the editor produces the final result using the original material.
2016-2-25
Use props
gberotti
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-26 05:50
The solution to your problem is to use a more expensive editing program that generates and uses pr ...

Thanks again.

It looks like the only way to have smaller files is to shoot less footage.  
2016-2-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gberotti Posted at 2016-2-27 01:49
Thanks again.

It looks like the only way to have smaller files is to shoot less footage.

Yes, while that is true, the issue that you and others are now coming up against, has been around for some time for people working in moving media, how to store and managed the many gigabytes of material you shoot. I had to build a high spec computer with SSDs in RAID configuration and mechanical drives in removable caddies to properly manage the footage.
2016-2-26
Use props
belfastappdesig
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I use premier pro.. you can download a trial copy of it.. I think it's the best software by far to use.. editing deleting bad clips. . And able to edit wot you need.
2016-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules