Phantom 3 choice of tablet?????
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djsm33
lvl.2

United States

Hello people,
My dji phantom 3 standard is on its way to me so Im asking for some advice,  I would prefer to use the stanard without a cell plan so what tablet or phone is best to use with it and what realistic distance and height will i get from it, also is it worth getting an antenna booster if so what one, any tips are appreciated

Thanks

Dave
2016-2-27
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You don't need a cell plan but a tablet with GPS is good to get the maps working properly.  You can download 150 Sq miles of Google maps for under 150 Mb storage space off wifi and that will then work fine for you out in the field
There are plenty of posts on tablet recommendations; depends if you're ios or android orientated.  I'm using a £50 / $80 Lenovo Android tablet perfectly.  

My un-boosted Standard flies out to around 800 metres / 2,500 feet on open land; I've not gone above 200 metres / 700 ft altitude, more out of choice rather than regulation. The max altitude is 500 metres / 1,550 ft set by the firmware.  Some folks are happy with the simple parabolic sails that clip on the antenna; others go driling holes and replacing the entire assembly.  Me? I'm waiting until I need to boost it, which I've not had to yet.

My best tip to you is to read the 'Top Ten Pilot Errors' thread and then read it again straight after your first flight.  There's loads to take in and you need simple easy open flights to learn about how it all handles....

http://forum.dji.com/thread-35648-1-1.html

Cheers
Ian

2016-2-27
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

I went out and bought "clearance" Ipad Air with cellular service for $350 brand new from Best Buy in the US.   As stated above, didn't need to activate the cell service to get Follow Me to work   Again, as stated above you'll still need to download the maps for the area you'll be flying in, if you want to see details in the "mini map".   I simply get to my flying area, use my Iphone as  hotspot, connect my ipad to it and open the Map and the Ipad captures that area.  Then I disconnect from phone and fly!
2016-2-27
Use props
djsm33
lvl.2

United States

Distance

Thanks guys for replying,
Another question if you dont mind answering is I stay on ash road in osceola indiana zip 46561 so what distance do you think I will get in this area where i will still be able to see live feed on my screen and do any of the range extenders work as i will be just using wifi and not a cell plan, your help is very much appreciated
2016-2-28
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

FIY, the standard holds smart phones upto the size or a Iphone 6 Plus or Android.
It does not have a large holding bracet like the Advanced or professional has.
Get an iPod touch or such or you will need to upgrade the controllers holder..Or just use your smart phone you current have (assuming you have a smart phone)

Nothing else to buy.
2016-3-4
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

199$ Nvidia Shield K1 8" Tablet, by far the best bang for the buck and works amazing for me and has a HDMI output, SD card slot, can record you screen built in with a few taps of the screen.
2016-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules