Hood for smart phone
3073 24 2015-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

I will be receiving my P2+ tomorrow. On my list of things to do is to make a "hood" for my smart phone (Samsung GS4) so it's visible in sunlight. I know when I am out on the golf course it is very difficult to view unless in the shade. Has anyone done anything like this already? I have searched the forum and not seen anything that addresses this issue.
2015-1-7
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

Here's some if you are in America, France or UK.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ ... r+hood&_sacat=0

http://www.studiosport.fr/pare-s ... on-plus-p-4641.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb ... 20controller%20hood

Lots out there......  Enjoy
2015-1-7
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-1-8 00:43
Here's some if you are in America, France or UK.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dji+phantom&_ ...

Thanks for the help. I just ordered one from Amazon.
2015-1-7
Use props
drone
lvl.4

United States

I made mine from cardboard and black & white carbon fiber vinyl wrap I had laying around . It works great.

2015-1-8
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

I paid 10 bucks for the Amazon version, I hope it works as well as yours.
2015-1-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Got mine from a dealer on Ebay for a 10 inch tablet.  They have for 7 inch and 5 inch also.
My transmitter setup.jpg
file 5.jpg
2015-1-8
Use props
drone
lvl.4

United States

Gerry did that come with the tablet holder? I have a 7 inch tablet that it would be nice to fly with.
2015-1-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

drone@jatobserv Posted at 2015-1-9 01:09
Gerry did that come with the tablet holder? I have a 7 inch tablet that it would be nice to fly with ...

It comes with 1 clamp so I wanted 2 clamps and ordered 2 hoods.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28145826 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you scroll down you will see 7" and 5" also that you can get.
2015-1-8
Use props
drone
lvl.4

United States

That is a nice setup. Thanks.
2015-1-8
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

drone@jatobserv Posted at 2015-1-8 21:48
I made mine from cardboard and black & white carbon fiber vinyl wrap I had laying around . It works  ...

I bought the hood from Amazon. Last week I used it for the first time and my GS4 screen was almost unreadable! I modified it with some foam board and closed it up as much as possible and tried again today. It was better but not usable enough for FPV. I could see the other info on the screen but it was still difficult. Is it my phone? Maybe my eyes? Is a tablet a better solution? Everything about this system is great except for the visibility of the Vision App. I have a couple of pics of the modified hood.

View of modified hood
Another view
2015-1-22
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Missing posts again
Come on DJI, you can do better than this.
2015-1-22
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-23 08:06
Missing posts again
Come on DJI, you can do better than this.

It was there when I first posted. What's the deal, Forum bug?
2015-1-22
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

I'll try one more time. Bought the Amazon hood but was disappjointed with the results. I modified the hood with some foam board and flew again today. A little better but not usable yet. I have a GS4 with the brightness all the way up and even installed a matte anti-glare cover. Is it the phone or my eyes?    Any ideas?  Maybe a tablet is easier to see. I currently only have Fire Tablets so I would have to go out and buy a cheap Android model.

Modified Hood
2015-1-22
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Mikeatlincoln
It looks like they have built in a delay in the postings for everyone to see.  Both of yours are here now.  Here is the Apple 10.1 inch tablet that I have.
My transmitter setup.jpg
DSCN0050.JPG
2015-1-22
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

Sorry about the multiple posts. A couple of this took over an hour to show up, I thought they were lost.
2015-1-22
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-23 09:24
Mikeatlincoln
It looks like they have built in a delay in the postings for everyone to see.  Both of ...

Wow, they sure look big! How is the visibility of the screen when the sun is shining?
2015-1-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

mikeatlincoln Posted at 2015-1-24 13:00
Wow, they sure look big! How is the visibility of the screen when the sun is shining?

I have an anti glare shield (matt finish) on both of them.  It looks just like the first pic, no glare in the sun because of the hood.  The screen is 9.7 inch diagonal corner to corner.
2015-1-23
Use props
trailtec.email
lvl.2

Australia

Deal Extreme have a phone hood for 10 bucks: http://www.dx.com/p/remote-contr ... 372266#.VMW1E9KUeSo
2015-1-25
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

trailtec.email Posted at 2015-1-26 12:19
Deal Extreme have a phone hood for 10 bucks: http://www.dx.com/p/remote-controller-visor-for-dji-pha ...

That's the hood I purchased from Amazon and modified with foam board. My Samsung GS4 was qualified for upgrade. I checked out visibility of smart phones in sunlight and found a site that rated the top units in sunlight. Guess what! The GS4 was one of the worst. I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and it was a huge difference! I tried it today in direct sunlight and the screen was easy to view. A bonus is that the Note 4 has a larger viewing area which also helps. I think the setup I have now will do the job.
2015-1-26
Use props
trailtec.email
lvl.2

Australia

Yeah I'm using a Kogan Angora I had lying around. It's crap phone (low call volume, drop outs etc) but it has a huge screen and will be perfect for this use. It also saves having your expensive main phone sitting on your controler.
2015-1-27
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

After a lot of experimenting I ended up with this rig. Flew two batteries today and it worked like a charm. It's a lot of fun to fly FPV and this allows me to see clearly.
2015-2-14
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

I tried to attach a pic but I don't think it worked. Here is a link.

?dl=0

Transmitter tray with Samsung Galaxy Note 4  10.1
2015-2-14
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

Third try, maybe this will work. Sorry I'm new to this forum's controls.

2015-2-14
Use props
davidw63.comcas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Anybody every try using a Kindle? I heard those can be read in sunlight.
2015-2-18
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

davidw63.comcas Posted at 2015-2-19 08:44
Anybody every try using a Kindle? I heard those can be read in sunlight.

Kindle uses a different APP lib. Does not support DJI app as far as I can tell.
2015-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules