Tilting camera up to +30 above horizon w/ P3?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jim.meyer
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've just recently receievd my Phantom Pro 3. Amazing! I've taken it out on only 4 flights so far and I'm really loving it.

However I was under the impression (from advertising specs) that I could tilt up with the gimbal to point the camera to +30 above level.
I've been practicing and like to fly just about a meter aboce the ground while flying around a subject. It's a beautiful visual effect with the foreground moving. But it'd be fantastic if I could tilt up a little as I slowly get closer to the subjet to keep them in frame.

The tilt conrol seems only to go to 0 level on the horizon or down -90. The GO app graphics on the live display indicates that there is a little more distance that I could tilt up but I'm not sure how to enable it to do that.

I'm sure this must be a custom calibration that can be manually set in the GO app? I'm still learning to navigate through all the menu features in the app and I just can't seem to find it (or know what to do if I did find it).

And I couldn't find a thread here on the forum on this. (Question: Is there a "subject search" somewhere on the forum? That would be helpful.)

Any advice? Thanks!

- Jim

2016-2-29
Use props
oj88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
United States

That bit of +30° pitch is a leeway used for stabilization. Particularly, if the Phantom needs to move forward, it can do so up to 30° forward tilt without affecting camera pitch. Though, you'll get to see the props in the frame too, so...

For the same reason, the gimbal can go past the -90° (up to -120°, I think).

You can unlock that +30° pitch in DJI Go by turning on Gimbal Pitch Limit 30° extensible in Gimbal > Adv. Settings. However, you can't go beyond -90° manually. It's only available for stabilization.
2016-2-29
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You can tilt the camera up an extra 30 degrees although from memory the app setting says 15 degrees.
It's there in the app - it just extends the range of normal camera tilt.
I can't find it right now, so you probably have to have the Phantom connected.
2016-2-29
Use props
videojim
lvl.1

United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-29 11:04
You can tilt the camera up an extra 30 degrees although from memory the app setting says 15 degrees. ...

Thanks. I can see that now in Gimbal Param Settings>Advance Settings>Gimbal Pitch Limit (30 degrees moving up). I enabled that feature and now it has full mobility. Beautiful.

I can see now why the limit is there so that the user doesn't over compensate when tilting up to a level position normally. So I can imagine that I would only enable this feature on the occasion when I knew I was shooting low against the ground and needing to slightly tilt up.

Makes sense that the camera needs some tilt up headroom in order to compensate and maintain level when the drone is tilted forward.

Thanks for simple and clear answer. Sometimes I wish all of life was this easy to figure out.
2016-2-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules