Drone Advice Please
1216 4 2015-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ShaggyRS6
New
Flight distance : 19423 ft
United States

Hello all.  So I am thinking of getting a drone, I have had the idea on the back burner for about 12 months, unlike my normal self I did not impulse buy! Whoop for me! I have been very heavily into photography since moving to the US (www.leeshandphotography.com) for anyone interested and I am thinking a drone would complement that hobby nicely, however, the more new cautious side of me thinks, will I use it for a couple of months and get bored. So on this first point I would be interested to heard from impulse buyers if you got it and just got bored of it.

Next thing, which drone. The obvious thing is the new DJI Phantom 2 Plus, but… I do have a Sony RX-100 as part of my ever growing camera gear pile, I see this is compatible with the Draganflyer X4-ES drone , but at 25K that’s out of my range.

I am happy to buy a bundle or buy separate, I would like FPV functionality. My budget is around $2K

Another question is just how good are the still shots you can get? And with that in mind would I be better off getting a drone with the Hero 4 – I know nothing about those cameras, never owned one never played with one. I want good quality stills.

Is there another option for my RX-100?  I see bits and bobs about a package for the Phantom that allows the RX-100 to be attached?

And finally what do people use to edited video?  I have lightroom and use that for all my stills, but what are you using for the video?  

Any help or direction would be great.

2015-1-7
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

nobody can give a good advice to your question because nobody know your personality. Some get bored, some not. For good quality stills a gopro is certainly not the right camera. Im not aware of a RX100 gimbal for the phantom series, this would be a bit to heavy for the Phantom series. I use a program called Edius neo for editing, its not that expansive
2015-1-7
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Under 2K you are not going to be able to beat something like

Phantom 2 Vision+
Blade new 350QX3
Yuneec Typhoon 500

The Rx-100 takes nice pics...I have one...but at the same time, these cams are not designed for the rigors of flight and you are very likely to destroy or lose it...especially before you get deep into the hobby.

You may decide you like still photography as well as video...or instead of video. Video takes a lot of work to edit.....

Lots of free and inexpensive programs for video editing. I use iMovie (mac) for most of my flight vids. I know how to use Final Cut Pro but there is usually no need for such an advanced program. Many people use Adobe Premier elements or other programs.

Another choice for better video - but a bit more complexity - is the Phantom 2 with a GoPro camera and FPV. In this scenario, you cannot control the camera (take separate pics, switch to video, etc.) from afar. But a new Hero 4 will beat the stock Phantom or Blade cameras.

Don't buy one of these for your first machine...maybe not even for your 2nd. If you want to get into the hobby, do it the slow and steady way and learn to pilot, maintain, etc. - I run a site that's all about getting started.
http://www.droneflyers.com
2015-1-7
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

http://dronexpert.nl/product/pre ... i-phantom-2-vision/

Looks like they have a mount for the Sony. But, it costs about 1 million dollars.
2015-1-7
Use props
ShaggyRS6
New
Flight distance : 19423 ft
United States

Im not worried about being able to pilot one.  I fly a T-Rex 450, 550 and 600, so piloting a drone will not be challenging in any way. Im more interested in getting good quality shots.  You say the Hero 4 is a better cam?

I did consider slinging something underneath one of my Helos but its gonna be too noisy.
2015-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules