Safe to charge in LiPo Bags? WIll it overheat?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

is it ok to charge phantom batteries in LiPo bags or will they overheat during charging? Just got 2 from team black sheep and I'm wondering if it will be an issue charging them inside.
I Will also be purchasing 2 .50cal ammo containers with a few holes drilled to vent pressure.  LiPo batteries are more stable the colder they are, I'm just worried the bags can do more harm then good during charging/auto discharge.

I want to store them one in each bag, will the auto discharge be an issue if I have them in a LiPo bag, will they overheat in this situation of auto discharge?

Can't wait for tomorrow, I got my phantom 3 pro today but I'm waiting till tomorrow to open it, just in case DJI makes a very unlikely redesign of the phantom 3 line to go with the phantom 4/phantom elite.

2016-2-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

That safety measure Shouldn't be necessary. These batteries are very safe.
Correct me if mistaken, but If there has been any accidents, I am unaware of them.

I don't ever charge mine unattended though. Always around them.

RedHotPoker

2016-2-29
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

you don't really need all those lipo bags for the DJI batteries, I use them with usual lipos, but not with DJI intelligent batteries. Also bags have nothing to do with auto discharge
2016-2-29
Use props
Linda-RC
lvl.1

Japan

Especially in summer day, the temperature is high, and it is not safe to sort those battery together, no matter what the safe hazard is exit, so it is better to sort they with lipo bag,  when it is storing, charging .

It is Effective protective measures.  and I also use it for my cell phone charging...
2017-4-7
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-29 22:59
you don't really need all those lipo bags for the DJI batteries, I use them with usual lipos, but not with DJI intelligent batteries. Also bags have nothing to do with auto discharge

This thread is over a year old but since it has already been reopened I have a query for DJI Tim who said "bags have nothing to do with auto discharge". Surely if auto discharge is initiated inside a Lipo bag the resulting rise in temperature wouldn't be the best thing for the battery. I don't use bags or auto discharge but I think that was the basis of the OP question.
2017-4-7
Use props
Numskull
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1967339 ft
United Kingdom

Quamera Posted at 2017-4-7 02:31
This thread is over a year old but since it has already been reopened I have a query for DJI Tim who said "bags have nothing to do with auto discharge". Surely if auto discharge is initiated inside a Lipo bag the resulting rise in temperature wouldn't be the best thing for the battery. I don't use bags or auto discharge but I think that was the basis of the OP question.

The temp rises by such a small amount during this process - maybe 1 or 2 degrees - it's insignificant.
2017-4-7
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

Numskull Posted at 2017-4-7 02:40
The temp rises by such a small amount during this process - maybe 1 or 2 degrees - it's insignificant.

Fair enough, I have never used auto discharge so I just assumed it would be more than that since I understand that the battery feels warm during the process.
2017-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules