Let it go......
12Next >
2521 42 2016-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Neil Myers
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Having only recently bought a P3P, at a high price too may I add. I was less than enammered when DJI anounced, or slipped hints about the Phantom 4.
I have just finished watching all the videos of the new beast and I am already coveting the said item.
For those of you who have had this happen to them in the past, please tell me how you go about "letting go" - and getting back to enjoying my still very new P3P?
2016-3-1
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

the p4 is not that great and too pricey. enjoy your p3, grab a few Batts and have fun!
2016-3-1
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

i like p3p more that new thing as it not looks like pillow  
2016-3-1
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-1
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2016-3-1 15:15
I can't wait for craigslist listings for the Phantom 3s now that the P4 has been announced. I have l ...

Keep dreaming.  Prices aren't going to drop that dramatically.  I just sold my Phantom 3 Standard  to a guy for 450.00 with the only mod being the Inspire Smart Device Holder.      And he knew exactly what he was getting.  He knew the P4 was out, but he didn't want to spend the money on one.... He wanted what the Standard has to offer...

The P4 has NOT made the P3 obsolete by any stretch of the imagination...
2016-3-1
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm still perfectly content with my P3A.    Sure the P4 has some nice "advertised" features.  But how well do the work?   Just look at Follow Me mode on the P3 which for some requires almost perfect conditions for it work as designed.    Better to wait, let the firmware updates come to fix nits an glitches.  Let the early adopters deal with the new set of problems first...
2016-3-1
Use props
Armo
lvl.1

Netherlands

I'm still waiting for my P3A to arrive and I'm not going to cancel it to order the P4.
It's too expensive (1600 euro here int he EU) and it has a software altitude limit: 400 feet above takeoff point!
2016-3-1
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Agreed. The updates (not improvements) on the p4 are clearly for newbies. Ooo ooo some don't hit things won't happen anyway been fling for a decade and much harder craft to keep stable in the air than a p3. Avoidance on RTH come on even an adept flyer won't need it. A) have RTH height set right B) know your flight scene well study! Oh what else a more protected gimbal I.e beginners crashing

The camera is the same quality. And with the awful max altitude control who professionally or even ameturely would want one..

The only pro as I can see is the battery life is longer but just like apple products the next generation won't let you use the expensive useful/ needed addons. So all your p3 batteries can be used and have to buy loads more..

I am so so so happy with my p3 it's great and does all I need and more.

I'm also really curious how long in testing this device has had before release? Are they going to use all those who jump the band wagon as beta testers? ;)

The grass isn't always greener as others have already said, enjoy what you have it's a fantastic drone and if your new to flying a fantastic platform for learning orientation on.
I was really hoping for retractable legs as on the inspire(beautiful machine) too big for most places you can fly. The p3 range is a good size to fly most local environments such as large parks, private filelds (farmers fields with permission) and monuments.
2016-3-1
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'd also hoped the gimbal was then made 360 controllable from RC. With faster motors with more torque for a smoother quality. Image size is fine.  
2016-3-1
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

phantom 4 is like the phantom 3 pro  with extras that you are not going to use if you fly well ,
so enjoy your phantom 3 ;) its an amazing quad
2016-3-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bhujang Posted at 2016-3-2 08:18
I'd also hoped the gimbal was then made 360 controllable from RC. With faster motors with more torqu ...

What point is a 360 degree rotation on the camera when all you see is legs?
2016-3-1
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer

I'm not buying anything with a 400' AGL cap.  That was not a smart move by DJI. I've  not yet needed to go above 400', but I can think of a lot of instances where it would be imperative. Let's see this P4 go and take shots of that volcano. I keep hoping for a zoom lens (not SW). Apparently not real high on their list.

Barney
2016-3-1
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2016-3-1 19:40
I'm not buying anything with a 400' AGL cap.  That was not a smart move by DJI. I've  not yet needed ...

The height limit on the P4 is the same as on the P3....500 meters or 1640 feet.
2016-3-1
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

QuadBart Posted at 2016-3-1 15:44
Keep dreaming.  Prices aren't going to drop that dramatically.  I just sold my Phantom 3 Standard   ...

I agree completely.

Actually have my p3s up now at same price. and I will get 425 for sure.

not worth selling for too little, as the battery itself is worth 130-150 depending

I still have the p3p and will wait till I see these p4 hiting used/returned market this summer/fall.
then ill buy, just like I paid 850 for the 3pro last December, the day I sold my P2plus for 590...

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-3-1
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

GTDrone Posted at 2016-3-1 16:35
phantom 4 is like the phantom 3 pro  with extras that you are not going to use if you fly well ,
so ...

i agree, it seems like DJI is trying to attract people who have never flown before.
2016-3-1
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer

Username Here Posted at 2016-3-2 08:52
The height limit on the P4 is the same as on the P3....500 meters or 1640 feet.

I keep hearing the limit is 400' above 'home'. That's only one fourth as high as the P3 will go if it is indeed capped. I didn't know the P3 had a limit, my bad.

Barney
2016-3-1
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

120 meter at adjustable to 500 I assume? If not, it's a deal breaker for me.
2016-3-1
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Ken confirmed in another thread that the height limit for the P4 is the same as the P3: 500 meters. Apparently some miscommunication and badly worded info after announcement made people think it was only 400 feet.
2016-3-1
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-1
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I will just stick with this
2016-3-1
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-1 22:09

Hence previous post of also wishing for retractable legs on the p4 ;)
2016-3-1
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-3-2 07:01
I will just stick with this

Wise choice. More fun!
2016-3-1
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

I don't think there is enough 'upgrade' in the camera if you ask me, when you become comfortable with flying you wont even use the other features they have brought out. Iv had the P3P since it came out 100+ flights and never ever used the RTH button - ever (probably because i had a phantom 1). I have to agree with most of you here that the phantom 4 is really aimed at "brand new pilots" or "inexperienced" pilots and i think that's why they have said it is aimed at targeting enthusiasts rather than pros. Because really, if you are good at flying you will have the same capabilities as a P4 owner if you own a P3.

camera upgrades
1080p 120fps - If you own a Gopro you probably already know that current processors are pushing it with quality at this frame rate - there is plenty of Artefacts and footage is not the best. 2.7k at 60fps would have been much better.
lens correction and and other camera upgrades can all be accounted for in post production

Has anyone herd of the still image capabilities? cant find anything so must be the same as the P3P?
2016-3-1
Use props
lukx
lvl.2

Poland

Don't worry. Just take big breath and think. Nowadays companies have to come up with new stuff EVERY YEAR! And it's very very sad. It's just pouring water on consumption. I would prefer to have really technologically breakthrough drone than just minor barely updated version every year. So regarding new P4: no breakthrough in new camera and tracking should be added in next P3 firmware upgrade because it's software based. If DJI won't add it it means thety are just greedy. The avoiding system is nice but I prefer to be careful and know what I'm doing, plus it's not 360. So it's better to wait a year and save or earn money with your P3 for Phantom 5 with camera that will be able to record good quality video at night time and extra marketing gimmicks  Oh and I think glossy plastic body I'm afraid will look very scratched after few flights (dust from the ground when starting, cleaning from bugs, etc etc).
2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

C_LUU Posted at 2016-3-2 18:48
I don't think there is enough 'upgrade' in the camera if you ask me, when you become comfortable wit ...

"Has anyone herd of the still image capabilities? cant find anything so must be the same as the P3P?"

I think the camera is the same, but the lens is much improved:

"The Phantom 4 camera has been improved in terms of image quality. Chromatic aberration has been reduced by 56% and lens distortion had been reduced by 36% compared to Phantom 3 Professional. In addition to lens improvements, camera firmware has been tweaked to enable the camera to capture 120fps video in full 1080p FHD (the camera’s field of view will be reconfigured to 47° when recording in this mode) for smooth slow motion. The camera is also used for ActiveTrack and TapFly modes."
2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

lukx Posted at 2016-3-2 19:34
Don't worry. Just take big breath and think. Nowadays companies have to come up with new stuff EVERY ...

"So regarding new P4: no breakthrough in new camera and tracking should be added in next P3 firmware upgrade because it's software based. If DJI won't add it it means thety are just greedy."

A totally new and much improved lends is certainly worthwhile. And tracking is not just a matter of 'software', it is a very difficult and processor hungry application on its own, and requires dedicated hardware to achieve. It cannot be simply added to the P3.
2016-3-2
Use props
ChrisC
lvl.2

United States

And , i bet the Phantom 4 Batteries will be more Expensive the the P3P Batteries. And so will the Props and everything else.
2016-3-2
Use props
lukx
lvl.2

Poland

common, when using 120 fps the resolution will go down, my phone can do tracking so I'm sure there's enough juice to do it on Phantom 3 and Inspire should be the first to get it !!! Let's wait for side by side unbiased reviews of video from P3 and P4.
2016-3-2
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Guatemala

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-1 16:09

If you are flying  1 km away with just FPV , it helps a lot to see if there is any obstacle around the quad
2016-3-2
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

While some of you are dreaming about obstacle avoidance capabilities, just think for a minute about all those neat fly-throughs you wanted to film: through that hole in the sea cave, arch in that iceberg, through the gap in those branches. Whatever is dangerously tight to add excitement to the film. You will need to switch OFF that system for many (all?) of those shots. As for bigger batteries, the trade-off is efficiency versus cost when using multiple batteries for a shoot (not sure P4 wins there). No thanks, I'll stick with my P3P.
2016-3-2
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Bhujang Posted at 2016-3-2 01:39
Hence previous post of also wishing for retractable legs on the p4 ;)

I can almost guarantee that will never happen.  That would cut the Inspire off at the knees.  The phantom series is a consumer level drone.  If you want pro features like retractable landing gear and 360degree gimbal, then buy an Inspire.
2016-3-2
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-3-2 21:20
I can almost guarantee that will never happen.  That would cut the Inspire off at the knees.  The  ...

Did you read my post at all? The inspire is just too huge a machine to fly at everyday places that I can get to. It's a serious bit of kit not just in price but responsibility.  The power over a p3 is emense and the damage it could do if it went out of control huge.  If I had an outback or 100 acre of rough lands on my doorstep Id get one straight away.

The p3 is perfect size for woodlands and parks, hills, monuments etc. The inspire would sound like a hoard of hornets taking off and p88s people off who want a peaceful walk at such places. It's too pro ;) the p3 is way less intrusive and people are actually curious and enjoy seeing them out. Even the look of the inspire is like something off terminator it would seriously freak a lot of everyday people out. Don't get me wrong I think it's. Fantastic machine. But it has its place as does a. Formula one racing car.
2016-3-2
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-3-2 16:20
I can almost guarantee that will never happen.  That would cut the Inspire off at the knees.  The  ...

Here is a site to buy retractable LG.

https://www.rcdepothobbies.com/R ... rcdh-ph3retract.htm
2016-3-2
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

I know there are mods for the P3 to give it retractable landing gear (Pointless without a 360 gimbal I might add).  I am saying that DJI wouldn't do it.  It would take away from their Inspire line and up.
2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GTDrone Posted at 2016-3-3 01:31
If you are flying  1 km away with just FPV , it helps a lot to see if there is any obstacle around ...

If you are flying at that range, which means the aircraft is out of your sight, then you deserve what you get. You can always rotate the aircraft to look around.
2016-3-2
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Guatemala

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-2 16:04
If you are flying at that range, which means the aircraft is out of your sight, then you deserve w ...

not all the time if you rotate the quad you can hit something , like if you fly around trees or anything else
i know that is not safe to do that but sometimes you want to explore ravines or mountains like i do ,

That's we yo do a lot of FPV that is amazing
2016-3-2
Use props
Neil Myers
lvl.1

United Kingdom

2016-4-9
Use props
evsjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

I will stick with my phantom 3 pro.
2016-4-9
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Neil,

The week after the P4 came out, I bought a second P3Pro. I love the bird and have no need for a P4. I'm still running on firmware 1.4 and Litchi on both of my P3Pro's and my P2V+. Forget about all of the P4 hype and have a blast flying your P3, it's a solid bird!

Jerry
2016-4-9
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

I don't get all the calls for a 360 degree camera at all.  It would mean another control on the remote for camera pan.   You already have that in the yaw rotation stick -- just turn the camera to face what you are viewing.  If you turn the camera to the side or behind, even in FPV, concepts such as the front of the aircraft quickly become lost.  It then becomes direction of travel.  Accidentally crashing into something is a red herring, you are either looking where you are going or you are looking through the camera.  A 360 degree camera won't help you there any more than turning the aircraft.  If you are worried about becoming disorientated after spinning around, you should be exploring home lock in the advanced flight modes.  You can easily fly with unchanging reference to the home point; pushing the stick forward will travel in a straight line on the map regardless of where the aircraft's front is pointing.  Once you are used to this mode, it isn't hard moving around and exploring in any direction.   In this mode the sticks react with respect to the map/course orientation, not the aircraft orientation.  360 degree on the Inspire requires a full time controller and cameraman.  I think it would be asking too much for a single person to do combining it into one remote and dividing your attention between cameraman and pilot.
2016-4-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules