What do your neighbors think about your new drone?
2164 37 2015-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
birdfolk
lvl.3

United States

My neighbors have been cool---but maybe that's because I let them know about it, and even invited them to watch me learn to fly it.

Has anyone caught any negative vibes?
2015-1-7
Use props
Pmcdn2014
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772959 ft
United States

A young couple were intrigued and respectful, however I try to fly at times when there are few people.   I prefer not to have people coming up to me when I fly if I can help it.
2015-1-7
Use props
Madam Concord
lvl.2

United States

They are old and don't hear or see well enough to know what is going on.    
2015-1-7
Use props
nordkapph20
lvl.2

United States

Good question birdfolk and great approach with your neighbors.  I have not flown around the neighborhood much other than my wintery flights since I got it so no one has been out yet.  But co-workers want to joke about flying it by my neighbors windows or creeping from above and into their yard or watching the girl next door tanning in the back.  It gets that half joke half negative wrap geared toward invading people's privacy.  I tell them that is not my intention at all.  People don't understand the investment, the time and skill to fly it. If I was a stalker or peeping tom it would be much cheaper and easier and more affective to sneak around at night and peer in windows.  I prefer to get away from people and fly in remote areas or open fields or cool scenery.  
2015-1-7
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i just tell them not to worry because i dont get good enough satellite locks when flying next to their bedroom windows.
2015-1-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Gertrude and Heathcliff are friends with all my neighbors.  
2015-1-7
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

My wife was really concerned about this, and I've mentioned flying over different areas and she's said that people will freak out (privacy and all).

I typically fly at 250 feet or so (above the trees), in a park near the house. So far, every neighbor has been really curious and has wanted to watch me fly. Not a single concern about what I'm recording. I happily show them what I see on the iPhone (tops of trees).

I think the concern would be from people that don't know any better (you gotta be pretty darn close to get good "spying" video) so I'm happy to show what it does (and more importantly does not do). The media has done a good job of making people think that drones are either stalking jetliners or flying outside of windows. The reality is vastly different. It's our job to show people our reality.
2015-1-7
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

I typically don't fly around my house, but people in general I've found to be everything from cool to thinking they are being followed by it. I just have to laugh, I have had people tell me they would squish it or shoot it down if they could... Sad really. Most people are cool with it though and I am glad to show them how it maneuvers and give them a ride on the fpv goggles.

My Hanger
Phantom 2 w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, Large Skids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, V2 ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, Custom Wood Skids
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960 Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Aero Guard, CF Camera Mount, CC3D, FrSky D4R-II, Mobius
Hubsan X4 Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107D Non FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna & 2200mah lipo, Dominator V2's w/goggle mod
2015-1-7
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

I have had people tell me they would squish it or shoot it down if they could.

What is up with these people???  I read a piece where the author asked for people's reactions, and a freakishly large number of people we're all saying how they would try to shoot it down or destroy it.  Really disturbing how violent today's society has become.  

I don't think my neighbors are aware of the new neighborhood menace yet.
2015-1-8
Use props
drone
lvl.4

United States

I worry a little about the neighbors in general. I also don't want them to think I am spying. The only comment we have had so far was one neighbor ask my son if the drone he saw was his. He told him it was his dad's. The guy mentioned new FAA rules to ban/limit them etc. It was a short conversation when my son was taking out the trash so he couldn't tell if he was anti-drone or just talking about them.

2015-1-8
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

When my neighbours saw my phantom outside they laughed and told me I'm a bit too old to play with toys. Then I took off straight up full throttle. You should have seen theire expresion

Now they know it's not a toy for little kids...
2015-1-8
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

Everyone that has seen it so far think it is cool.
2015-1-8
Use props
sbooth001
New

United States

I have just begun flying my new phantom and last night on my second night flight, I had a neighbor from around the corner walk up and immediately start cussing at me threatening to shoot it down. He said he saw me looking into his windows and of course you know that BS as im sure most of us have no intrest in flying into someones yard. I was floored and quite frankly a bit nervous because he was so aggressive! The attitude of a young couple who drove up the night of my first flight was completely opposite! Needless to say I will no longer be flying in my neighborhood. I now have to find a place to fly where I wont be trespassing. Its a complete shame people get so angry with such little information.  Very dissapointed!!!!
2015-5-9
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

its in the same catagory as jet skis. people dont like them either due to few idiots who cant ride them respectfully around other boaters. I cant fly near my house due to to many trees, as Ive leanred that lesson. so now I go to a local park or out to the lake to fly.
2015-5-9
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

sbooth001@ec.rr Posted at 2015-5-9 23:07
I have just begun flying my new phantom and last night on my second night flight, I had a neighbor f ...

Don't you have laws about discharging a weapon in an urban neighbourhood?

I think they are jealous, don't know what it's about or both.
I have had lots of interest when out flying and lots love it if I offer to send footage and photos to them.  I do this by email or post a disc to them.  So all positive so far.
2015-5-9
Use props
jonnied2010
lvl.3

United States

I have 5 acres and try to stay in the bounds of my property. I do some ground station missions outside of my property lines but usually at about 250 ft. elevation. I don't think any of the neighbors would even notice the Phantom but if they do, no one has complained.
2015-5-9
Use props
sbooth001
New

United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-5-10 00:48
Don't you have laws about discharging a weapon in an urban neighbourhood?

I think they are jealou ...

Of course there are laws about discharging a weapon.... Of course this jerk would most likely not do that but the idea of him showing up that angry again with my children possibly in the yard is unsettling. Neighbors suck!!
2015-5-9
Use props
DWA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3176083 ft
  • >>>
United States

Madam Concord Posted at 2015-1-8 13:23
They are old and don't hear or see well enough to know what is going on.

LoL too funny
2015-5-9
Use props
DWA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3176083 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been flying my drones in my neighborhood for two years now. All my neighbors are very cool with it. But then I've been living here almost 18 years and I know everybody on my street very well
2015-5-9
Use props
rckrwlr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 398888 ft
United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-5-10 00:28
its in the same catagory as jet skis. people dont like them either due to few idiots who cant ride t ...

I fly around my house all the time I have yet so get any negative response.  I do get  hey what are you taping, and just friendly talk.   But as far as jet skis are concerned, I've had them go between me and my water skier,  and  across my trailer.   We have actually ban them on our lake. ( canyon lake ca)
  I just hope we fly responsible and don't get to be like the rats of the water.
2015-5-9
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l don't fly in my neighbourhood, l go to open fields or city parks/soccer fields etc. l've had random people stop to watch but they just say hi and move on. Last time out l had an older English couple out for a bike-ride who stopped and asked questions. The lady said she would tell her friends she had seen her first drone (drowwwwwne).
2015-5-9
Use props
sdtag
lvl.2

United States

I told most of my neighbors about it before they saw it. So far everyone is curious and cool about it.
Of course there were the bedroom window jokes, but after I demonstrated how loud it is, I can't sneak up on anybody, everybody is totally ok with it.
I give them my youtube page so they can see their videos. And I have copied some videos on to a flash drive and gave it to them so they can see their own roofs, air conditioners, rain gutters, etc.
Still I try not to push it and try not to fly around the house too much. But sometimes I just can't help myself.
Bottom line is be cool
2015-5-9
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

I have had good response so far a few have stopped and talked and said how neat etc. I have shared YouTube with several so they can see it is up and away for the most part.
Flew around the area a lot  in winter since it was so cold I was only idiot out!
Now that windows are open not so much.
These are noisy as all get out. That is my concern in neighborhood.
2015-5-9
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Most of my neighbors could care less. However I did have one that told me he was not comfortable with me flying over his house. So I respect that and fly around. At the same I told him I was comfortable with him letting his pit bull run loose  so we can both respect each other. We'll see if he keeps the do up. I plan on staying up.... About 150 ft.
2015-5-9
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-5-9
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Axeman Posted at 2015-5-10 14:13
My neighbors are amazed by what this lil toy can do. If they aren't in my yard watching they are sta ...

There's actually people out there somewhere that don't like beer or pets?  What is this world coming to?
2015-5-9
Use props
2015-5-9
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

I've only had 1 person say (to someone else)....."There's someone flying a drone around the neighborhood.  I don't like it.   What if I was in my pool naked?  I don't want them taping me".   He ( my ROOM MATE) actually said... "Believe me, he wouldn't want to see that either and wouldn't be keeping the video!"  She's a very large woman and up in her years.  He then went on to explain that she could tell if I were flying to get pictures of her that were actually detailed enough to see anything and that I'm just practicing on the dead end street behind my house!  Heard nothing from her since.
2015-5-11
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

I've taken it to most of my neighbors houses (at least the ones we get along with) and flown it for them and then given them the beautiful videos and snap shots.....

2 weekends ago on Sunday a neighbor had all his family and grandkids over.  He called asking for help on his golf cart controller, so I went over, with p2v+.....  fixed his golf cart then flew for them all.  got 12 minutes of video of all the family, their home, the grandkids - yes, snap shots close up 15ft above and in front of each one.....

Less than a week later my long time friend and neighbor had massive heart attack and died - day after he, his wife, and some of the kids called to thank me for the super family videos....

I feel blessed that I was able to give them all the last family photos of their beloved grandpa.
2015-5-11
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

yorlik Posted at 2015-5-12 07:29
I've taken it to most of my neighbors houses (at least the ones we get along with) and flown it for  ...

Good story Yorlik. They'll have it forever.

Jerry
2015-5-11
Use props
pagan.harold
lvl.2

United States

yorlik Posted at 2015-5-12 07:29
I've taken it to most of my neighbors houses (at least the ones we get along with) and flown it for  ...

This is the kinda press we need. Respectable use of flying craft for recreational and positive uses.
2015-5-12
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Axeman Posted at 2015-5-10 14:39
Yes Gerry I was married to one. She didn't even like herself.

got to give you this one

that's just funny!
2015-5-12
Use props
2015-5-12
Use props
2015-5-12
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

I have found that it is about 80% are curious and interested in knowing more. the other 20% are paranoid. My neighbor came running down my driveway last night as I was bringing my P3P in for a landing and knocked it out of the air…….it needs repairs now. I am going to court today and pressing trespass and felony property destruction charges.
2015-6-18
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

My neighbors thought it was pretty awesome and one of the guys is looking to buy one, much to his wife's chagrin lol!

Dan
2015-6-18
Use props
trgauldin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4105446 ft
United States

I found out that one of my neighbors called the law on me.  I don't know who, or even when.  I suspect it happend one day when I sent the phantom on a ground station mission up the street, had it turn around and come straight back.  I noticed in the video after later reviewing it that it was followed by a man all the way back to my house.  I spoke with the man just to say hi as he walked past me, and he comminted on my "cool toy".   I actually heard about the call a couple weeks later from a member of my church who heard the call go accross the police scanner for a droan sighting over my little town and they wanted it checked out.  I've been telling all of my friends (both of them) that I'm a fugitive.  
2015-6-18
Use props
moxy149
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1220797 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there guys,  Well so far everyone that has see my and the drone have shown a great interest in it.  I think if you explain things about the drone to people it takes any doubts away that they may have.  Regards   Ian.
2015-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules