EBL battery question
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MistaGuitarista
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Still new to drone flying [only my second weekend of flying]. I ordered as a spare battery this EBL battery [EBL High Capacity 4480mAh 15.2V LiPo Replacement Rechargeable Battery for Phantom 3 Series ] - last weekend it was fine, but this weekend when I tried to fly with it I got a message on my DJI app saying " Non DJI intelligent battery, take off prohibted". I think it also flashed up a quick mesage saying "battery too cold" - the outside temperature was about 10 degrees C or so. Anyone had similar experience?
2016-3-5
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe with the latest firmware, the internal battery temperature must be 15°C (59°F).
So you can fly in 10°C temperature, but you must keep your batteries warmer than 15°C for safe takeoff.
Also, shouldn't use non-DJI batteries. (missed that previously!)

You can get the P3 Battery at the DJI Store!
2016-3-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The majority of people on this forum will say it is not worth the risk buying a non-genuine DJI flight battery. I guess you have just learned that lesson.
2016-3-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I believe the warranty is void with unapproved accessory.
2016-3-5
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

who knows what can happen with the third party battery, we recommend using the original DJI intelligent batteries only
2016-3-7
Use props
MistaGuitarista
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks everyone - I got my refund from EBL, and they also offered me a free battery in return for any screenshots of any further error messages etc. Going to take them up on it, but fly VERY cautiosly with their battery. Let you know how it goes...
2016-3-10
Use props
MistaGuitarista
lvl.1

United Kingdom

MistaGuitarista Posted at 2016-3-11 00:59
Thanks everyone - I got my refund from EBL, and they also offered me a free battery in return for an ...

Ok, inserted the new battery after charging - got a firmware update message [didn't happen with the original EBL battery], updated ok. Tried to launch but got the 'non DJI compliant battery' message again! Wouldn't even allow take off! Emailed EBL back with screenshots and version numbers etc. Haven't heard back from them yet, but looks like I'll be sticking to official batteries from now on! Two new DJI batteries now ordered!
2016-3-14
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-7 17:33
who knows what can happen with the third party battery, we recommend using the original DJI intellig ...

DJI-Tim,
Do you guys have in the GO App to say that you are using a Non-OEM (DJI) battery as the OP has stated?
The OP stated that it would not take off. Was that because of the Temp on the battery or was it because he was using a non-OEM battery? I would be curious to know this.
That would effectively take out any third party vendors for your battery right out of the market.
2016-3-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-3-15 10:33
DJI-Tim,
Do you guys have in the GO App to say that you are using a Non-OEM (DJI) battery as the O ...

As  far as i now we do have some protection on it...
2016-3-14
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-3-15 13:33
DJI-Tim,
Do you guys have in the GO App to say that you are using a Non-OEM (DJI) battery as the O ...

Another forum has a number of very upset customers who have updated to the latest DJI Go app only to find that it will no longer let them take off at all with their third party battery installed.   
It's one thing to recommend that non DJI batteries be avoided but it's another thing to physically prohibit flight with those batteries in a software update which made no mention of that change.
I think the application should pop up a warning to say that "non-standard batteries are not supported and may jeopardise safety and/or reliability - use at your own risk". At the very least, there should have been some release notes which warned that updating the app would result in this change.
Personally, I would never use non-DJI batteries but a large number of people do and this latest DJO Go update appears to have turned their hundred dollar batteries into mantelpiece ornaments with no value at all.
2016-3-14
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

JockC Posted at 2016-3-15 00:28
Another forum has a number of very upset customers who have updated to the latest DJI Go app only  ...

Agreed, that makes me think about my next purchase.
Can I purchase something from a Company that stifles the competition by not allowing the competition to even compete in the market. It comes down to pretty much price fixing on DJI's part. The competition would force DJI to be competitive on the price of the batteries. By not allowing take off with a 3rd party battery, they are most certainly going to get the price they want for DJI batteries.

Shame on you guys. Not good business. Customers don't mean too much to you do they?
2016-3-15
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-3-16 00:24
Can I purchase something from a Company that  ...

DJI      Must be a tough thread to reply to.
2016-3-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-3-16 03:24
Can I purchase something from a Company that  ...

Why would DJI not force the use of their own batteries, over which they have complete quality control? As against third party batteries that could fail in an instant. Also, don't forget it is an intelligent battery containing a processor, whereas the other make may not have the same features.

Go on, threaten to buy another product, plenty of you threatening that, and see if DJI care.

BTW, Sony do exactly the same with their intelligent batteries also, so it is not limited to DJI.

Next you will be whining that DJI did not honour your warranty claim when the crap after-market battery caused your aircraft to crash.

2016-3-15
Use props
youngskyculler
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-15 18:36
Why would DJI not force the use of their own batteries, over which they have complete quality contr ...

I understand about voiding the warranty.  Just give the pilot the choice to do so (and record it in flash).  

It's true that Sony does similar things, but for precisely these reasons I swore never to buy another Sony product about 20 years ago.  There are other games in town, and I've been delighted with the choices.  Same happened about 10 years ago with Dell.   There WILL come a day, not far off, when DJI brand P3 batteries are no longer available, or cost too much to bear.  
Edit:  I'd just like to point out that I'm not arguing for my own sake, yet.  So far I've purchased only DJI batteries.  I expect the day will come when that is not feasible, and I'll be long past the warranty anyway, so having the option to "void" my non-existent warranty and fly anyway should be possible.   
2016-3-16
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-15 21:36
Why would DJI not force the use of their own batteries, over which they have complete quality contr ...

Oh, I know they won't care if I just do it.
But they should allow people to choose to use genuine or 3rd party if they choose to.
Not every vendor out there is a fly by night company. There are probably many batteries out there that are just as good as DJI. I am sure they also have a processor on them as well. They were working before DJI did what they did. They did this to eliminate the competition and to control the price of the product.
That is what bothers me. I have bought all DJI batteries myself, but if I wanted to buy a 3rd party battery now it would not work. It will probably just a matter of time before the other companies get around the DJI block and start reselling. Problem with that will be now that it has happened once, people will be gun shy to purchase batteries not know when they will not work anymore.

I just think that DJI should give the people the choice to purchase 3rd party parts. If it voids the warranty, that would the purchasers decision to make. DJI will be able to tell if the battery in the bird that was brought in for repair was using a off make battery.

Personally, I would not whine about my warranty if I chose to use after market parts. The moment I opened my remote to install a mount I voided that....LOL  I guess I just don't like being forced to do things the DJI way if I don't want to. I am not renting the Phantom from them.

Anyway, it's just a rant, and I feel better now that I got it out. At least I didn't do a video Homies, and have my sexy wife make an apperance......LOL

Peace my friends
2016-3-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-3-17 03:47
Oh, I know they won't care if I just do it.
But they should allow people to choose to use genuine  ...

"At least I didn't do a video Homies, and have my sexy wife make an apperance......LOL"

And I thank you for that! (did you meet Will Smith by the way?)

DJI go to a lot of trouble to produce their intelligent batteries, who is to say an after-market battery contains the same quality processor and circuitry to monitor the operation of the battery. I am surprised that anyone can bother to hack the DJI battery and try to reproduce the same response, they must think they are going to sell a heap of batteries.

seeing as the battery is the most critical item, and the one that keeps your aircraft in the air, I don't have any problem buying the real thing.
2016-3-16
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

And I thank you for that! (did you meet Will Smith by the way?)

No, sorry I didn't. But I almost posed with a cardboard cut-out of Eddie Murphy!......

seeing as the battery is the most critical item, and the one that keeps your aircraft in the air, I don't have any problem buying the real thing.

I agree, but I would still like to make that choice on my own. But I hear what your saying.
2016-3-16
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

This practice seems to be more common these days, iPhone with the lightning cable Lenovo with OEM batteries.
I guess the question is what price we as consumers are prepared to pay? Where's the line? Currently the P3 battery is 30% of the purchase price of a P3S or 15% of a P3P.
I would like to think that the DJI batteries represent such good value, that such a lock out is not required to prevent people from using non-genuine.  Those that do use non-genuine accept the risk and the consequences that go with it - simples. To me a lock out seems a little draconian and represents a lack of confidence in your product.
2016-3-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-17 13:58
This practice seems to be more common these days, iPhone with the lightning cable Lenovo with OEM ba ...

It is important to recognise that the DJI Intelligent flight battery contains a processor to control every aspect of the management of the battery.

Who knows what these cheap knock-offs have, in fact they may not have a processor in there at all, and even if they did, who is to say it looks after the various processes correctly?

It is very possible that the aircraft begins a conversation with the battery and gets no response or even an incorrect response, in which case the aircraft says 'well I'm not going to accept this battery'.

Given that the battery is the most critical part of the aircraft, and people obsess about minor variations in battery cell voltages or get concerned about incorrectly reported battery charge percentages, why would you blame DJI for rejecting the battery. If I was designing the system, I know I would reject it. It is not a lack of confidence in your product, it is an acknowledgement that they have no control over the manufacture or design of the knock-off and will not take the risk.

"Those that do use non-genuine accept the risk and the consequences that go with it - simples."

Absolutely not, experience has demonstrated that they will try to hide the fact that they bought a crap battery and come onto this forum to whinge about DJI refusing to honour their warranty.

2016-3-16
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-17 13:48
It is important to recognise that the DJI Intelligent flight battery contains a processor to contro ...

The fact of the matter is once the consumer hands over their money, it's theirs and if they want to fly a knock off battery, let 'em, I say. If it voids their warranty, burns down their bird that's on them. So what if they come to this forum? Lot's of people do, some have good points to raise and are reasonable, others not, I've seen both torn to shreds. It would give those that relish in such things, the opportunity to say "nah, nah, na, nah na I told you so".

Of course it's a statement of lack of confidence there is no risk to DJI whatsoever purely on the owner and perhaps on the knock-off battery manufacturer. Do you ever see any vehicle manufacturer saying if you don't use our XXX part we'll prevent your vehicle from starting, just don't expect to have a successful warranty claim if you do -fair enough. This is a captive market scenario and they make more profit this way - also fair enough. To say that there's tech in those batteries that no other manufacturer on the planet can replicate is laughable.

We're not talking sheep stations here, these are toys (good toys albeit!). Anyone using them commercially would be unlikely to take the risk and for the others - let them!
2016-3-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-17 15:25
The fact of the matter is once the consumer hands over their money, it's theirs and if they want to ...

"To say that there's tech in those batteries that no other manufacturer on the planet can replicate is laughable."

Don't go putting words in my mouth, I never said that. But, I will bow to your greater knowledge of the subject.
2016-3-16
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-17 14:32
"To say that there's tech in those batteries that no other manufacturer on the planet can replicate ...

Sorry mate, didn't mean to put words into your mouth, that was my interpretation of your belabouring on the battery tech, so if I got that wrong, I apologise.

You "bow" inappropriately, I have an opinion, it is of no greater (nor lesser) value that someone else's. I'm not even sure what "the subject" is in this case, to me it's just common sense (If people want to take risks with their machine-let them, The only reason I can see for preventing this is financial, which is fair enough, but let's be honest about it).

The beauty of these forums is we get to express our opinions, a reader can read and make their own decision on the value or not. It's always healthy to view an "issue" from multiple angles.

Cheers and Happy Flying
Mike
2016-3-16
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I've got a dead battery.  I'm going to take it appart to see who really makes what.  I don't think they are very "intelligent" but well see.  I think the controllers is pretty crude.  I'll take some picture and let you know how I get on.
2016-3-27
Use props
rrdutton90
lvl.1

I'll wade into this. I bought the PHA-3 battery from Banggood and have had no problems with it, in fact I get longer fight times with it compared to the original Phantom battery.
Having said that, if the machine should crash and burn because of the non OEM battery it would amount to a bad way to save 75.00 CDN because I couldn't expect DJI to honor the warranty.
I haven't bothered to update the firmware because it works great as it came out of the box. Why mess with a good thing?  Now having read that the new firmware will not allow the use of non OEM batteries I definitely  won't be updating.
After having said all this I wouldn't recommend that any one use anything other than the OEM equipment unless they are willing to take the responsibility for un-warranted failure.
As an aside, I bought a new Toyota not long ago and the warranty states that you must use Toyota parts including oil and oil filters or the warranty is void.

2016-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules