Extend ground station radius beyond 500 meters ?
2594 6 2015-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidkmagee
New

United States

The limitations on waypoints/ground station on the P2V+ include a 500 meter radius from the home point, but you can set multiple waypoints for a total flight of 3.1 miles.

I would like to be able to go beyond 500 meters from the home point.  For example, set one waypoint 1500 meters out, then set it to return to home afterwards. That would be a really nice feature to add.  In the past I've set my P2V+ ready to fly, gps locked, set the home point in my yard, then quickly grab the P2V+ - leaving it powered on - and drive one mile away, launch, and then turn the remote off, so the P2V+ returns to home, and it flies fine all the way back to my house and lands at the home point with between 50 and 60% battery remaining.  Setting the camera to record lets you be able to see the entire flight, and it is a lot of fun.  It would be nicer if I could do this with waypoints and not have to be so risky.  

In one extreme test, I set the home point in my yard, then drove 3 miles away, launched, and let it go home.  The P2V+ returned to my yard flawlessly and watching the movie of that trip was amazing.  I had about 30% battery left after a three mile flight.  

2015-1-8
Use props
davidkmagee
New

United States

If you are interested, I got the idea for this in this video:

2015-1-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not trying to be smart here, but you will definitely be reporting back here very soon telling us how you lost your Phantom.

I hope you don't - but you will.
2015-1-8
Use props
davidkmagee
New

United States

I understand the risk, but I've not had any issues at all with this, and have done it several times.  I recalibrate the compass every 10-15 flights just in case, as that seems to be the biggest cause for flyaways.  

But to my point, if they would extend the radius beyond 500 meters, I could do this with much less risk.  Pick a waypoint straight out around 1000 meters and RTH afterwards, that's really all I'm looking for.  It would be simple for DJI to change this limitation.
2015-1-8
Use props
phila100
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Sounds like a recipe for disaster! and a bit irresponsible if you forgive me....... unless you live in the desert?? That far outside LOS?
Can you imagine how many people would try this and not take account of trees, power pylons, telephone lines. loss of GPS, low battery, weather conditions etc on the way back??? Hope you've got good Public Liability insurance!!
Forum would be rampant with even more supposed 'technical malfunctions' and 'flyaways'!
If you do ever try this - then I'll be happy to sell you my spare P2V+ after!
2015-1-8
Use props
davidkmagee
New

United States

Not quite the desert, but nearly treeless flatlands in rural Texas.  Yes, if someone doesn't know what they are doing, then this is a great way to lose or crash your Phantom.  Even without this, people are going to lose or crash their Phantoms, just as they will crash new cars, drop brand new iphones in the water, accidentally discharge firearms, etc.  

2015-1-8
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Not quite finished but the version 1 of an Android app I'm working on will allow you to set the home point using a map (similar to how you set way points in ground station).  It isn't really intended to set a way points so far away (but I'm not planning to restrict).  I more envision it as being able to move the home point to a clearing when you are near trees or out on a boat (and want to set a home point on a beach).

The app will have much more and is fully working but I need finish making the icons pretty.

In the end this will be a full L2 app; complete with ground station (adding some missing features in the Vision app).
2015-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules