How to avoid birds attack?
18443 36 2016-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

I would like to know if some one has some idea about how to fly our dron withou too mutch interactions with other flyers,  particularly birds.  

2016-3-10
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Good question.
So far what I have heard is that you better make sure it is not when they are just giving birth or during the annual matting season, and avoid areas populated with birds.

If there is a device, it would be interesting to hear about.
2016-3-10
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-10
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

Morph1 Posted at 2016-3-10 14:04
smear some habanero pepper juice over the top of your drone, I can guarantee you nothing is gonna  ...

That explains the woman trouble.  
2016-3-10
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

It is one idea who knows, but  I prefer you test it first  and share please
2016-3-10
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

I think that the size it is important....   Isn´t it?, I never see a Inspire with this problem, some one knows?
2016-3-10
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-10
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

Fermin Posted at 2016-3-10 14:18
I think that the size it is important....   Isn´t it?, I never see a Inspire with this problem, som ...

Based on size is true. The larger the drone, the more intimating it appears.  So far Hawks quite enjoy taking down the Phantom line, so I would assume the more aggressive the bird is, the more chances you will have of an encounter.
2016-3-10
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

Yes I have looking for videos of the Inspire but I no found problems with birds. I have also seen some video in which an eagle attacking a crow, So  the colors are not the total solution.
2016-3-10
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

I use a spotter when I'm flying and there have been a couple times a hawk has shown up but so fa never attacked. Mating season is here for the red tail hawks so I keep a very close eye on them.
2016-3-10
Use props
jmklar
lvl.1
Australia

Most birds attack or swoop down from above. So instead of trying to descend (which is slow) do the opposite if you see a bird approaching - ascend quickly and the bird should lose interest.
I had a bird attack recently (A magpie) and I didn't know this so I descended towards home with the bird following. I did some research and realised that I should have gone straight up which is a lot quicker in a P3P.
2016-3-10
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Changing the color could help, the white is the same colour as many sea birds.
2016-3-10
Use props
lenw
lvl.2

United States

Last weekend I had a pair of Hawks circling my P3P.  I was pretty nervous.  I went straight up and they didnt follow, eventually losing interest.  In my video I have the camera pointed straight down and for a moment in a couple spots you can see at least on circling.  My mom was watching me fly with binoculars and was happy to see the hawks.  She said oh look, there's a hawk, how beautiful.  Then a minute later she spotted the other one.  All I could do was hear the screeee screeee noises they were making hoping they wouldn't attack.  Another field I like to fly in has an active eagles nest nearby so obviously I'm avoiding that area.  To be honest I don't want my drone to get taken out by a bird but I am more worried that the blades could cause injury to the birds legs when they try to grab it.  I know birds are tough but a bad cut on the leg could be pretty bad, especially if it were to get infected.  
2016-3-10
Use props
rreindl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

I would think going straight up would be best as that would be easy for a drone and difficult for a bird. So far all birds near my drone show no interest or fly around it.
2016-3-10
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

If you want some interesting reading on birds and drones have a look at this: Approaching birds with drones.
Apparently drone color doesn't have much impact, but incident flight angle does...
Good flying!
2016-3-11
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

Very interesting study, as they say in it  is necesary to complement the study with the predatory species. My experience it is with hawks, two times I fly and I have encountered and clearly they atractt its attention,  the second time very near, but at the last moment it decided stop the aprouche.
2016-3-11
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

The video of the hawk.

2016-3-11
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

I Love birds and I love my dron too, so I would like to interact the more frendly way as possible. I think that probably the next time the same hawk is noy going to have the same curiosity by the dron, I know that this birds has very good memory.
2016-3-11
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have had some birds show interest, and I try to do some unnatural, "non-birdlike" movements.  That seems to help.
2016-3-11
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

As jmklar saids, most birds attack or swoop down from above, probabli the predator are not so confident when see the dron going up as another predator and dismiss the dron.
2016-3-11
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

As spring approaches in the northern hemisphere we need to take some care for breeding & nesting birds. As an example, rock-climbing in certain sector cliff faces (here in France) is forbidden within a clearly defined nesting period (depending upon the site). We should respect the same restrictions when flying there.
Incidentally, territorial predators (the usual worry) also get mobbed themselves by other birds (crows, seagulls, etc.). Watching a hawk or buzzard being harassed by such a group, suggests that we could also have similar difficulties. In such conditions going up (if airspace allows) to release the stress is probably wise.
Have fun!
2016-3-11
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

Probably the spring is the more risk station and the nest proximiti mast be avoided.
2016-3-11
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

I think even the smallest birds are one of the bravest species in defending their offspring
2016-3-11
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Swallows have come after me on more than one occasion.

Jerry

2016-3-11
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

Curious, it does not seem to be afraid your drone could be that attracts insects. Either way I would not have been very quiet with as much air traffic.
2016-3-12
Use props
raveneapoe
lvl.2

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-3-11 20:31
Swallows have come after me on more than one occasion.

Jerry

It could be the swallows have nests under those bridges and think your aircraft is some sort of predator?   I've seen them act the same way with hawks.
2016-3-12
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4

raveneapoe Posted at 2016-3-12 19:27
It could be the swallows have nests under those bridges and think your aircraft is some sort of pr ...

Raven,

I think you are most likely correct!

Jerry
2016-3-12
Use props
wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Has anyone actually suffered a full contact bird strike?

I got swooped by a number of seagulls the other day; they were dive bombing the drone within a few feet whilst I was over water.   I flew it back fast, as I didn't want the props being stopped whilst over water; I just wondered whether anyone has actually been hit by a bird and what happened?  Did the props stop and your drone fall?  

Ian
2016-3-12
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-3-13 01:07

I got swooped by a number of seagulls the ...

Ian,

This isn't my Phantom, I'm just reposting it. Pretty incredible!

Jerry

2016-3-12
Use props
wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-3-13 07:20
Ian,

This isn't my Phantom, I'm just reposting it. Pretty incredible!

Ha; that is priceless!  

And the eagles were good enough to give it a soft controlled landing!
2016-3-12
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-3-13 02:25
Ha; that is priceless!  

And the eagles were good enough to give it a soft controlled landing!  ...

I think it was supposed to be lunch!

Jerry
2016-3-13
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

Which kind of eagles are they?
2016-3-15
Use props
Ecca
New
Flight distance : 44849 ft
Australia

wellsi Posted at 2016-3-12 23:07

I got swooped by a number of seagulls the other day; they were dive bombing the drone within a few feet whilst I was over water.   I flew it back fast, as I didn't want the props being stopped whilst over water; I just wondered whether anyone has actually been hit by a bird and what happened?  Did the props stop and your drone fall?  

Yeah mate, my Mavic Pro got attacked while flying over the ocean in Vanuatu, a sea eagle swooped down from above ( I was flying at 120 metres altitude at the time), all I could see was the camera view from the drone, rolling upside and all over the place, it recovered and i hit the RTH button as it was 3.5 kilometres away. When i reviewed the footage, after the drone recovered, i could see the eagle flying away across one corner of the field of view. Scared the hell  out of me. Needless to say, i was impressed it recovered.
2017-5-26
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

They guard their Airspace, particularly when the have young.
2017-5-26
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10036 ft
United States

No where near as close as the Hawk or Eagles above but still gave me Heart Failure being I just replaced my Drone as my other P4P went swimming and this one was way out over the Hudson River. I had a panic attack. This is slowed 50% but it happened so fast all I could do was stay on course and hope.

2017-5-26
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I got swarmed by about 10 swallows on the first day of flying. They were circling around the drone, but never tried to swoop at it. It was about 20 meters above ground, and didn't seem confrontational, so I hovered and stated to rotate Mavic in the same direction they were circling. After a couple of minutes they seemed to lose interest and flew away.
2017-7-28
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

One of the doves in this video touched Mavic with a wing (not my video)
2017-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules