5510 31 2015-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone use this? With all the threads about flyaways, I'm looking for something to protect my investment.

http://www.drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UAV-Locator-DM005.htm

If you've got a Vision+, where/how did you mount it?

Thanks!
2015-1-9
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

jmims,
I think that is a pretty good option if you live in the US.  Looks like everywhere else is out of luck (don't know about their international product)  I agree with everything they say about cheap GPS units (don't even bother) but it is critically important to have something!  I use the Marco Polo and an IR beacon (together they probably don't weigh what this does).  I like the Marco Polo because it isn't GPS (but this product may be a reliable GPS) and once you buy it you don't continue paying every month for it.  This unit though has the advantage of finding a copter that may cross miles of unnavigable terrain where the MP can't get close enough to get a fix (it has a 1 to 2 mile range, maybe shorter in bad terrain).  If you live in most parts of the US though you should be able to drive within a mile or two of the downed copter and find it with a MP.  
I would attach this unit to the bottom of the Phantom near the Ser # plate.  You can put 2 MP tags on a Phantom and, more easily on an Inspire 1, one on top and bottom and have a better guarantee of seeing one of them in a crash.  Hope this helps....
2015-1-9
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

leostrat_54@yah Posted at 2015-1-10 01:44
jmims,
I think that is a pretty good option if you live in the US.  Looks like everywhere else is ou ...

Thanks, leo. I went ahead and placed the order. I just can't bear the thought of losing the bird. The fact that I can detach it is pretty nice too so I can put it on other copters.

Someone has created a holder that I'm going to give a try: http://www.shapeways.com/model/2 ... 1&materialId=6. The creator is one of the guys that recorded a review so I feel good that it will work. I'll report back.
2015-1-9
Use props
pabbamonto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

jmims@me.com Posted at 2015-1-10 05:14
Thanks, leo. I went ahead and placed the order. I just can't bear the thought of losing the bird.  ...

I do not live near forest BUT I do live by the ocean.  Will this work either underwater or does it send out a "stream" of signals so you can see where it was just before it hit the water?

Thanks
2015-1-9
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

it works when you "call" the SIM card in the unit. the unit then sends you a text message. i don't think that will work underwater.
2015-1-9
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

it wont work underwater and it is basically doing nothing at all (ever) until you call it (which i actually like).  
2015-1-9
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

pabbamonto@gmai Posted at 2015-1-10 05:53
I do not live near forest BUT I do live by the ocean.  Will this work either underwater or does it ...

I don't know of anything that will work in an ocean unless you have 'floaties' on the landing struts.  That 'might' give you time to find her if the transmitter is attached to the side of the floatie.  Otherwise, you had better hope you can see where it entered the water and the water isn't deep and the current isn't strong.  My IR beacon will show up in up to 10 feet of inland (calm) water, but the ocean would have to be calm and waveless to see it.
2015-1-9
Use props
chato1974
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3657356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try the Marco Polo RC Tracker. I lost my Phantom 2 Vis + to my own stupidity and errors. I was recommended this unit by the advances quad fliers. There isn't a monthly fee and it doesn't transmit until you activate it when your looking of it . 2 mile range and you own it with no contracts. even when there little GPS or no Cell signal.

http://eurekaproducts.com/product-category/buyrcmodelsystems/

Specs:
System Radio Frequency Operational Specs.
Method – Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) 50 Channels
Band: ISM 902.5 Mhz. – 906.5 Mhz.
License Requirements: ISM/unlicensed, operates under FCC Part 15 Section 247
Modulation: FSK
Single Frequency Dwell Time: 50 msec. once every 4 mins.
Transmit Power: 250 mW
Receiver Sensitivity: -125 dBm
Communications Coding: Data coding and forward error correction allow the system to operate with a BER as low as 1:10, significantly improving overall system range.
System Range[size=0.7em]†
Line of sight: up to 2 miles typical
Open terrain, rolling hills with few obstructions: up to .5 – 1 mile
Dense suburban areas: 2,000 ft. typical
[size=0.7em]† Ranges shown are typical under controlled testing. Your results will vary with your actual conditions.
System Capacity
Up to 3 transceiver tags per Locator
Alarm Capacity
Internal audible alarm
External siren alarm (optional)
External auto dialer (optional – requires telco landline)
Locator Physical Specifications
Height: 6 in. (152 mm)
Width: 3.5 in. (90 mm)
Depth: 1.5 in. (44 mm)
Weight: 7.8 oz. (221 g)
Locator Battery and Charge Capacity†
Rechargeable Li•ion battery (included)
3 days when in continuous tracking mode
8 hours in searching mode
3 days in monitor mode
† Battery charge life values shown are typical. Your experience may vary with your actual use, battery age and ambient temperature.
Locator Weatherproofing
Light rain

Tag Transceiver Physical Specifications
Height: 2 in. (64 mm)
Width: .88 in. (22.4 mm)
Depth: .5 in. (12.7 mm)
Weight: .42 oz. (12 g)
Tag Transceiver Battery and Charge Capacity†
Rechargeable lithium polymer battery, included (non-user serviceable)
10 days idle mode
3 days tracking mode
30 days monitor mode

† Battery charge life values shown are typical. Your experience may vary with your actual use.
Tag Transceiver Weatherproofing
None
2015-1-9
Use props
fdnyfish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7965640 ft
  • >>>
United States

They now have a international version here: http://drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods ... l-Edition-DM006.htm

And get a mount for it here: http://www.shapeways.com/model/2 ... -1&materialId=6

2015-1-10
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fdnyfish Posted at 2015-1-10 20:25
They now have a international version here: http://drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UAV-Locator-Internation ...

Thanks! I saw your post a couple days ago about the shapeways mount and placed an order. Hopefully, it'll be here soon.
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

jmims, i was interested in the shapeways one, would you mind posting up when you 'try it out' and let me know the ups and downs before i purchase?
2015-1-10
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-11 08:53
jmims, i was interested in the shapeways one, would you mind posting up when you 'try it out' and le ...

you got it. so far, the only downside i see is that the locator is going to arrive before the holder. the holder is printed on demand using a 3D printer so it looks like i'll have to wait a bit before it ships. the locator shipped the next day.
2015-1-10
Use props
skyanchor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27539 ft
  • >>>
United States

We have two UAV Locators. The units were off for two days. Turned on at new location. Phantom 2's had ten satellites. UAV locators gave the last location 20 miles away from current location. Called support. Was given a tech in Los Angeles. I was told that the units take up to 20 minutes to refresh with new GPS data if not used within 24 hours from last use. FIX: Leave turned on and plugged in to charging power by window so unit will have current GPS data or if turned off for more than a day, unit must be powered up and can take up to 20 minutes to refresh with new current GPS data. I wish the advertisements for the units had given out this info. Otherwise they work good.
2015-1-12
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

My UAV locator arrived today. We got rain and fog so no flying, but I was able to charge and power on the unit. Works just as advertised.
2015-1-12
Use props
ecomm
lvl.2

United States

jmims@me.com Posted at 2015-1-13 09:03
My UAV locator arrived today. We got rain and fog so no flying, but I was able to charge and power o ...

The Shapeway's holder show "Not For Sale".  I sent a message to the seller and haven't gotten a response.
2015-1-12
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Thats just a normal GPS tracker but with a "contract", there are several Pet GPS trackers on the market with a monthly fee for example the TRAX unit. Some say those units interfere with the phantom, others are happy with them. Keep in mind that those systems need GSM reception. When you fly in the countryside you will probably have a problem. I also Think 56g is too heavy, there are much lighter units on the market in the 20g range. On bigger multicopters the weight is not so important. The Marco Polo is a good system because it dont interfer with the phantom, the downside for european customers is that its not allowed there, it lacks a CE sign as well.
2015-1-12
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

yes, dan, im thinking i want somethign like marco polo because, while i have no issue paying a monthly or annual contract fee, i dont like the idea of a gps device (receiving and transmitting) 2 inches away from the phantom gps device controlling my bird that gets like 1000 flyaway posts a day   the marco polo at least doesnt emit anything until you turn on the handheld part and ping it.  that part i like.  i havent ordered yet tho because im still not certain about range and environmental interference so still researching that part.
2015-1-12
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's a good list of trackers in the "Accessories" section at www.PhantomHelp.com.

For those looking for a good data plan, T-Mobile offers 200 MB of free data per month when you purchase a SIM card from them. More details at:

http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/bring-your-own-tablet.html
2015-1-13
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-11 08:53
jmims, i was interested in the shapeways one, would you mind posting up when you 'try it out' and le ...

Shapeways mount arrived yesterday (see pictures at the bottom of this post). As I mentioned before, the biggest drawback is the wait, but even the time wasn't excessive - was just a little more than a week.

Since this is shipped directly from Shapeways (3D printing on demand), it doesn't come with a zip tie which you will want to secure the mount to the drone. I got that for $.50 at Lowes. The "cradle" fit the UAV locator perfectly, but to be safe, I added some velcro to the bottom of the cradle and to the side of the locator. Even without the velcro, upon arrival the locator wouldn't fall out even if upside down. I added the velcro because I expect it to loosen over time and no telling what condition the drone will be in after a crash.

I'm pleased with the purchase, and I would recommend for anyone who has the UAV Locator.

As for the locator itself, I've had two odd things happen that I need to test more.

1. I couple days ago, right before a flight, I pinged the locator and the reply did not contain any coordinates (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=, AIR2011 F0 UTC 0000/00/00 00:00:00 B98). Not sure why. The Locator had been on for at least an hour before that, but since no time or date was listed, I'm assuming that there was a GPS problem. During that flight I did not have the Shapeways mount so it was underneath the battery. Maybe it couldn't find GPS signal under there. I didn't notice it at the time or I would have run the same test again. I'll report back if this happens again.

2. Today, while up about 300 feet I did another test. The location that came back was too far away from the actual location to be of any help. I'm guessing that it loses accuracy the higher up in the air you are.

Other than those two instances, the locator has been right on. Thoughts?

Pictures of the mount:
IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg
2015-1-21
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

@jmims:  i would think the converse is true, the higher you are the better your gps location should be, not worse.  as for proximity to battery, i sure hope that isnt a real issue because i plan to mount my locator on the bottom right up against he battery and if proximity affects performance then what is the point.   not saying you are wrong or anything, just hoping that it is something besides what you are suggesting.
2015-1-21
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-22 06:04
@jmims:  i would think the converse is true, the higher you are the better your gps location should  ...

gnixon, while I would agree about GPS being better in the air, this is the first location that hasn't been nearly exact. Need to do some testing to see what's up.

I kinda doubt that mounting under the battery is a problem. Instead of making guesses, I'm going to contact their tech support to see what's up.
2015-1-21
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I have a Trackimo GPS tracker. It has 6 flights on it so far with no issues and it has been accurate. The thing I liked about it was the price $99 (Sim included), a year of free service ($4.95 a month after that) and it weighs 34g.

You use the web or a Android or IOS app to locate your bird. It does need to be on about 15 to 20 mins before a flight, so I also just leave it plugged in to a USB power cable. I mounted mine under my battery:

2015-1-21
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-22 06:04
@jmims:  i would think the converse is true, the higher you are the better your gps location should  ...

Got an email back from Drone Mods with answers to my questions:

- If I get no coordinates back from the locator upon first ping, simply restart the locator. It's a caching issue.

- The locator will not give an exact location for a drone in flight. Wait until it lands / crashes to get an accurate location.

Makes sense to me. I'm pleased with my purchase and the mount from Shapeways.
2015-1-23
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I had my tracker mounted under my battery and it actually worked. It could get updates once a min while in flight. But sometimes before the flight it would take a little bit to get a GPS fix. So I decided to move it to the rear leg of the landing gear. Now it should have a better few of the sats. Even though it worked it was dumb of me to mount it under the battery. The battery, internal components, and foil shield of the Phantom will attenuate the GPS reception of the tracker.

2015-1-23
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

jato, when you mount something like that which changes the center of mass of the craft, do you have to do any recalibrations with the assistant app (like IMU or other things?)
2015-1-23
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

The only cal I did was the compass, it doesn't fly any different.
2015-1-23
Use props
racerx1492.gmai
lvl.1

United States

I have an unused UAV Locator Holder For DJI Phantom - X Tall in Red.  From Shapeways.

$32 + Free Shipping in CONUSA.

2015-3-2
Use props
trailtec
lvl.2

Australia

leostrat_54@yah Posted at 2015-1-10 01:44
jmims,
I think that is a pretty good option if you live in the US.  Looks like everywhere else is ou ...

I like the idea of an IR beacon. I have a starlight viewer so it would stand out at night. Are yours something you made up or are they available complete?
2015-3-2
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

trailtec@dodo.c Posted at 2015-3-3 06:57
I like the idea of an IR beacon. I have a starlight viewer so it would stand out at night. Are you ...

They are available. I posted the web site for them on another post. I will look for it. Using NVGs they are incredibly bright but invisible to others. The strobe is visible for miles (from the air).
2015-3-2
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

The one I like is the Phoenix 123 Junior (it uses a single 123 battery) and is light. It is available from GMS Tactical.
2015-3-2
Use props
trailtec
lvl.2

Australia

Thanks mate.
2015-3-3
Use props
JaxPhantom
New

United States

I got the UAV Locator about a year and a half ago.  I tested it several times in my yard and it worked very well.  I even tested it inside my house and it was very accurate showing the pin right in the corner of my house whe it was located.  I mounted it to the rear of my Phantom 2 using velcro and a paint stirring stick from Home Depot, and two zip ties.  

One thing though.  I did not renew my subscription before it expired and the number assigned to the sim card was transferred to someones phone.  I called the number to test it after renewing my subscription and someone answered.  I sent an email to Drone Mods asking what I should do.  I'll post the results after they respond.  

UAV Locator mount.jpg
2016-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules