New Phantom 3 Pro - Some Issues and Questions
1056 13 2016-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Karthik Raju
lvl.2

India

Hello friends,  I got my P3P yesterday. I spent a lot of time updating the bird from 1.41 to 1.6 I got 4 batteries updated the batteries, installed the polar pro gimbal guard, fitted the polar pro PL ND Filter and finally fixed the snap on and off prop guard.   

I flew 3 batteries today, the flight was impressive, stable, and great camera live.   

But one issue I had the Max time I got was 18mins (no strong winds)   

Is this due to the fact that batteries need priming for few charges as it was their maiden run  
Or  
Due to the prop guards,gimbal guard and Nd filter combined increase in weight I'm getting a decrease in flight time?

Also once i am done with one battery can i charge it immediately when i am flying using the 2nd battery so that while i finish the 4th one, the first one should be ready. But once a battery is fully used it is very hot is it non detrimental to the battery to immediately charge it?

2016-3-12
Use props
Karthik Raju
lvl.2

India

Images of Phantom 3 Pro with all the accesories i had mentioned.
cc75d2b6-0eaa-4580-9b78-4c7d50f41820.jpeg
b68cf092-4d9b-4b0e-94d1-7d97c27746b4.jpeg
2016-3-12
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Yes the Batteries will need a bit of a break in time.  Try not to fly them below about 50 % for the first say 5-7 flights, this will help break them in as well.  The Time will vary depending on how hard you are pushing it, winds,  prop guards,  and if you are recording.  You will get a few more minutes but not much more.

Let the batteries cool to near ambient temp, before charging ( DO NOT CHARGE A HOT BATTERY  PACK, IT MORE THAN LIKELY WONT LET YOU ANYWAY) .  I have 5 packs and by the time I have finished the second  pack the First one is on the charger.  Weather conditions of course apply.   I am glad you did your updates successfully.  I will also give my tips page for Information regarding Firmware uploads for the future.

-  After 1.3  the update FOR the Transmitter is NOT through the SD Card it is through The DJI go  app and  WI-FI connection.
-Always update the aircraft first.
-Make sure you download the proper firmware.  If you have the Pro make sure not downloading for the Advanced or standard. Double check!
-Make sure you only download the Bin File to the FRESH FORMATTED SD CARD Root Directory.
-Make sure transmitter is NOT on when downloading Firmware to aircraft ( VERY IMPORTANT)
-When installing SD with fresh  firmware to the   Aircraft, make sure it is off. Then turn on aircraft, the firmware will then begin  load.
-You can jump FROM 1.4 TO 1.6.  BUT if you have any difficulty you must stair step from current firmware to get to the latest firmware.   If at 1.3 must install 1.4 then you jump or stairstep to 1.6.  
-All the firmware numbers for the RC - aircraft- Go App - Camera WONT BE THE SAME. For example the current aircraft firmware is 1.6.0.40 but the RC Firmware is 1.5.70.  A LOT OF FOLKS GET CONFUSED ON THIS   (Including Yours Truly when first starting out.)
-Sometimes only the aircraft gets an update and not RC Transmitter   Read the pdf on the downloads page so you know what’s going on for example 1.6.0.40 is only for the aircraft and batteries.
-Make sure to read what each update is effecting. For example 1.6.0.4.0 will require each battery to be updated as well. Keep Informed.
-Macs’ sometimes do not format SD cards well. When Formatting  Success is in doubt  FORMAT ON THE AIRCRAFT, go to camera settings on dji go app , open the tool icon , on bottom is Format SD  card option.
-Updates sometimes take a while, wait for the tone to change to d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd d-dd  or the solid  green light even better.
-If you hear a long dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd   it has failed.
-updating is not an option for just the aircraft, IF there is also an update at that time for the Transmitter you MUST do it.
-To find out your current Firmware: Make sure The Aircraft, Transmitter, and GO-APP are all on. Now go to the “Main Video Flight Screen” , Tap the right hand corner for “ Settings” on the Very Left Bottom of  tab icons  you will see -  - -  this is the “ General Settings   Go to  “About “  Here you will find current Firmware on each device.  If you only see the “App Version  it is because you did not turn everything on like I told Yawl’.  : )
-Updates for the Phantom Standard are Only Done through GO-App and Wi-Fi, no SD Firmware to upload.
- You cant Rollback the Battery Firmware once installed. Once Installed that’s it.  ( Battery Only)
-When doing a Rollback, confirm the Current firmware on the Aircraft and then Rollback Firmware in Order.  If at 1.6 you can only Rollback to 1.5
Hope this Helps and Welcome !  There are some very talented , generous members here-

All the best to You and Yours- Donnie

2016-3-12
Use props
Karthik Raju
lvl.2

India

Thanks a lot for that extensive tips...  Anyways I had drained all batteries upto 8%.
2016-3-12
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Karthik Raju Posted at 2016-3-12 11:31
Thanks a lot for that extensive tips...  Anyways I had drained all batteries upto 8%.

Try not to push them that low,  remember also in flight that the aircraft will want to land at around 12% battery life.    Try and always land with at least 20% battery life.  In the future try to exercise the batteries by not taking them down that low for the first 5-7 flights.

Good Luck-  donnie
2016-3-12
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

You also will find that the 24 min of flight time is optimistic and based on everything being perfet.  The best I have done out of my 4 batteries is a little over 20 min.  That was landing at about 20% left.  High winds naturally will affect as well as how you fly.
2016-3-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You've lumbered your Phantom with prop guards.
That's like 2 pairs of sails and of course there will be a performance hit.
Would you drive around with a parachute behind your car and expect it to perform as well?
2016-3-12
Use props
Karthik Raju
lvl.2

India

Prop guards are helpful especially when we are trying to handcatch, when going accidentally near trees (beginner) and to know orientation even when  it's flying high
2016-3-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Karthik Raju Posted at 2016-3-13 13:25
Prop guards are helpful especially when we are trying to handcatch, when going accidentally near tre ...

You shouldn't have your hands anywhere near the props when hand catching.
If you do, you are doing it wrong.
Don't fly close to trees.
Flying close to trees and buildings is the number one killer of phantoms.
If you have difficulty with orientation, learn to use your radar display.

In general, if you think propguards are the solution, you are flying in the wrong place.
Prop guards will get in the field of view, catch the wind, suck your battery and make it harder for your Phantom to deal with wind.
Use them at your own risk.
2016-3-12
Use props
Karthik Raju
lvl.2

India

Ok I shall make a note of the above and fly without prop guard on
2016-3-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Karthik Raju Posted at 2016-3-12 20:30

For the first 10 charges, only drain the batteries to 50% and that will prolong the life of them. Then every 20 cycles do the battery calibration (discharge to 8% or so then fully charge.)
2016-3-12
Use props
Karthik Raju
lvl.2

India

so for the first few charges i cannot fly the copter for a longer time
2016-3-12
Use props
flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>

Karthik Raju Posted at 2016-3-13 11:30

Plus, prop guards make it look like a toy but of course it's not a toy
2016-3-12
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

You have to cycle the batteries a few times as Ken suggests. The prop guard and filter is no big in weight. I would leave the prop guards on. Landing can be a bit tricky at times and the Phantom can tip and if you are landing on a hard surface you could damage the props when it tips with the props still spinning.
2016-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules