2016-3-14
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha John,

If I may offer a few suggestions.  Try to upload your videos to the Video&Photo thread option.  Look at the other videos posted there and read those suggestions for those videos.  There will also be a ton of information for photos there.

Download a free video editing program like GoPro Studio or the Microsoft's MovieMaker software.  As you think about your next videos, plan on posting videos around 5 minutes long.  You will learn editing skills and it will not be hard.  Record your videos in 1080p at least.  This video was in 720p and had many artifacts that were distracting.  If you can record at 60 frames per second, your pans will be smoother even though you show real talent with your current pan skills.  Later, when you encounter color issues, you might want to download Blackmajic's DaVinci Resolve 12.  It is also free but requires a good gaming computer to run.  You will be able to do really cool things with color in Resolve.  All these editing programs have manuals so you can learn them quickly.

You have a lot of raw talent and a good eye for subject matter.  As summer approaches you are going to have much more fun and your videos are going to get much better.  You will learn much more about your flying camera and when fall approaches you will complain about running out of time, but by then you will know so much more about how to make the best out of your subject matter.  During periods of inclement weather, you can stay busy editing what you have already shot and post it for us to see.  This is going to be some real fun!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-14
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi John and fellow Essex droner
Can't wait for spring and summer; Essex countryside looks pretty barren at the moment.
I started off using Windows Movie Maker, included with Windows 10.  It's very intuitive and great for slicing out bad bits and merging different clips together and adding a sound track.

I had a nice fly around Hadleigh Castle a few weeks ago...  this was my very first effort with WMM and I only spent an hour knocking it up, but it tidied things up for me...

Cheers,
Ian in Essex

2016-3-14
Use props
John Boy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks for your replies guys.I am new to all this so i am still learning how to shoot/edit etc etc. I do have WMM on my laptop but i'm not sure if my laptop is powerful enough to create  top quality videos.It's a Lenovo Z50 updated to Windows 10.

Cetaman.....You suggested that i record in 1080p,how do i do that? is there a setting i need to change in the DJI GO App?

Ian.....Thats a great video of the castle.Which model Phantom do you have? How long have you been flying?
Cheers
John
2016-3-15
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

John Boy Posted at 2016-3-14 23:28
Thanks for your replies guys.I am new to all this so i am still learning how to shoot/edit etc etc.  ...

Aloha John,

Your laptop can handle WMM but may not be able to handle Blackmagic.  If you can find a friend with a good gaming computer, they could help you out with DaVinci Resolve 12.  They are both free.

On the Flight Desktop along the right margin are the camera controls.  When you move the slider to the right the video is enabled.  On the top and the bottom of the camera controls are settings and menu.  The top option has the settings for video.  Select 1080p for your video.  Make sure other other options are on auto where possible so you can learn without being overwhelmed.  Look in the manual for more information.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-15
Use props
-=RaM=-
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Great to see some fellow Essex boys in action
2016-3-15
Use props
John Boy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thank you Cetaman

RaM........Where in Essex are you? I'm in Great Baddow
2016-3-15
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi John
You're near me, near Chelmsford.
I have the Standard which I got 3 months ago. I shot that castle video in 1080.  I also have decided to shoot in NTSC at 30 frames per sec, rather than PAL, which is only 25 fps, as PAL sometimes gives you a little more movie-style judder on play back with teh sweeping moving shots. Personal choice; High Def TVs can handle either format. Experiment and decide what looks best to you.

I found 1080 worked fine on my laptop but 2.7k did not; I got choppy play back as the laptop didn't have a decent graphics card.  I've since gone out and bought a new gaming laptop which plays 2.7k fine, so I'm more out of pocket but having more fun and now shoot in 2.7K all the time.  

I've also downloaded PowerDirector 14 Ultra ; it's £48 and has a very intiuitive and easy to use interface; easier and more powerful than WMM in my opinion. with a lot more feaetures if you want to use them.
GoPro Studio restricts much of their features if the file is not a GoPro file so I found that too frustrating.
DaVinci Resolve is excellent but is like full-scale Photoshop; pretty steep learning. It also doesn't allow importing of MP3s in the Windows version, so you can't easily add music unless you convert that first; another step I could do without.
Hit Film Express 3 is also free and a very powerful fully featured movie editing program.  
After trying all of them, I opted for PowerDirector 14 as said.
I also use Plex on my TV which is great for watching the finished films on TV. You need a smart TV or an Amazon Fire Stick / Google Chrome Stick if you have a non-smart TV.
All of these are easily searchable on google if you want more info.
And watch the 'top 10 pilot errors' video on here; it's really useful stuff.

Happy flying fella

Ian

2016-3-15
Use props
John Boy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thats some great,helpful info there Ian,thank you very much.I have Plex on my TV so i'll deffo give that a try.
I did check out the DaVinci Resolve program,but that looked way too complicated for me,lol so i'll have a look at PowerDirector and Hit Film,but which gaming laptop did you buy/would you recommend?
I have watched the pilot error videos......i done quite a bit of homework before i took to the skies,watching videos/reading forums for about a week !! Lol
Have you ever flown at Hylands Park?......i ask because i emailed them a few days ago to see if they would allow me, but they said they do not allow drones in any Chelmsford park
2016-3-15
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I got the Acer Aspire V-Nitro VN7-792G  £960. Ow...
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/a ... tek.001/version.asp

I haven't tried Hylands Park; tend to fly in the country.  I take more of an approach that if you ask someone official if you can fly, they have to make an official decision and will err on the side of caution. If you don't cause issues and stick to the main CAA rule of flying more than 50 metres away from buildings and people, then you probably won't get complaints....  
Did some great flying around Mersea Island at the weekend; I'm working on that video and I'll post it when it's ready....
2016-3-15
Use props
John Boy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Excellent...Thanks so much Ian........And looking forward to seeing the Mersea video
2016-3-15
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

John Boy Posted at 2016-3-15 12:32
Excellent...Thanks so much Ian........And looking forward to seeing the Mersea video

Hi John
Finally posted the Mersea shoot....
http://forum.dji.com/thread-46135-1-1.html

Cheers,
Ian
2016-3-20
Use props
John Boy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Ian,commented about the Mersea vid on your other post.
I went to Felixstowe today and took some footage........nothing like as good as yours though,lol.
I had trouble seeing the screen on my pad when the sun came out though.....Do you use a shade? ......If so any good recommendations please?
2016-3-20
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

John Boy Posted at 2016-3-20 20:23
Hi Ian,commented about the Mersea vid on your other post.
I went to Felixstowe today and took some f ...

I only use myself as a shade.  That works well with my size

You defo want your brightness up as high as it will go;  I got a Lenovo A20 7 inch tablet to use solely for the drone; bigger screen and not having to take my main tablet out in the field.

2016-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules