1450 12 2016-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cobra44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1581581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bought my Phantom 3 Advance 3 Weeks ago and I'd never flown a Drone/Quadcopter before but found this machine was perfect. Since Monday (the Go App update) the quadcopter has a mind of it's own. After take off it will drift about 2 feet left or right and if I fly forward it will loose altitude and drift which resulted in 2 minor crashes.  I've updated all the software on the Phantom and the controller but this hasn't made any improvement.

Just can't fly this until I've fixed the problem as I'm not in control when it's in the air!

Does anyone have any solutions?

2016-3-16
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

lt is advised to do a full IMU calibration after every update to the drone, maybe that should go for the app too?
lt's worth a try. Must be done on a level (not just flat, but perfectly level) surface like a floor.

Did you do a compass calibration before the wonky flight, and were the values okay?
2016-3-16
Use props
cobra44
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi CapitAn thanks for the reply.

I do a compass calibration every time I fly (regardless if I've flown in that location before) and the compass has been fine. I will do a IMU Calibration to see if that fixes the problem. But the Vision Positioning System isn't keeping the machine stable as I've only been around 6 foot from the ground
2016-3-16
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

Are you sure the you didn't move the switch from P on the top left corner of the Remote  to A or F.??
2016-3-16
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

yes make sure its in P mode and got full gps support, sounds like its in atti mode for sure.
2016-3-16
Use props
cobra44
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's the first thing I checked. As I'm new to this I've not even used the other functions on the device.
2016-3-16
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Did the app show you connected to sats and how many? Was the aircraft status (center top of the app) green and p mode there as well? Sometimes even when the switch is in P mode position if the p3 has difficulty connecting to sats it will let you fly but in atti mode which means constant inputs from the rc gimbals to keep stable and in one position.  If you had gps and all green lights and it did this then something is seriously wrong and it would have to go back to DJI for inspection/ repair.
2016-3-16
Use props
cobra44
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Think it needs to go back to DJi as the light was green and I was connected to 14 satellites. Thanks for the advice
2016-3-16
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

cobra44@mac.com Posted at 2016-3-16 20:14
Think it needs to go back to DJi as the light was green and I was connected to 14 satellites. Thanks ...

If it happened after a firmware upgrade, I'd suggest you try downgrading the firmware to V1.60040.

Just do the same as an upgrade but with the older firmware on the card from the downloads page.  Always recalibrate the IMU after a firmware up/downgrade.
2016-3-16
Use props
garretn
lvl.2

United States

Sounds like the same thing mine was doing.  I took some advice from others on the site and have quit doing a compass calibration every flight.  I took mine to a open field and did a calibration and everything worked great after that. Time will tell but the couple of flights I have taken have been very stable and controllable again.

If you haven't done it make sure you do a compass calibration on grass or dirt so that the chances of having metal effect it are slim.  Mine was all over the place and like you said I had a couple of close calls crashing it while these errors were coming up.

I found this guide it might come in handy for the process of IMU recalibrate

http://www.dronezon.com/diy-dron ... red-warning-lights/

2016-3-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

garretn Posted at 2016-3-17 07:32
Sounds like the same thing mine was doing.  I took some advice from others on the site and have quit ...

Another vote for NOT doing compass calibration all the time. I have had my P3P for 6 months and it has been calibrated only once. It flies perfectly.
2016-3-16
Use props
cgolheiros
New

i had the same problem today after update. my p3p was always very stable but today it drifted a lot at low altitude. did compass calibration but no imu before that
2016-3-16
Use props
cobra44
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the advise guys. Got the drone to a field and calibrated and it and seems to be back to normal.

Again cheers for the advice
2016-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules