P3P RC wants firmware update even though its been done 3 times
1236 18 2016-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidathomas42
lvl.2

United Kingdom

So I did all the upgrades to the App and RC and Phantom Camera yesterday. Squared everything away ready to fly today after I had to cancel yesterdays flights due firmware updates

Today I thought I would just check a quick flight from the house to make sure its all good before throwing it in the back of the car and heading out.

Well low and behold it says RC needs a firmware upgrade. I though well thats a quick one as I have wifi. So I downloaded the update. Hit Upgrade. waited the 10mins of so beeping away and got the message saying its updated please resart the RC unit.

Did that and once again....... RC requires a Firmware update!!!!! WTF...... I just did that!!

Ok,,,, ill do it again but this time ill also force close the DJI app on my iphone 6S before turning the RC unit on again  just incase its the app remembering the old software.

NOPE!!!!! once again.... RC unit requires a firmware update......

I have now come back in the house. turned everything off. removed battery from the P3 even tough it was turned off. removed iphone cable from the RC unit and iphone. loaded it all up again... done a 3rd firmware update followed by a shutdown again of everything and this time a soft reset of the iphone to make sure its clear and once again on power up. RC unit requires a firmware update!!!!!..

Run out of time now so thought I would do a quick help post before I go out and spend the day doing something else that did not cost me near £1500 in bits to not be able ot use it.

Anyone else have this issue today or just me? Hoping its a tech issue on yesterdays update that DJI are scrambling to fix.

Very very dissapointed and I join the long growing list of people un impressed by the so called Professional series and does not deliver anything close to Professional quality.
2016-3-17
Use props
davidathomas42
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Ok so a brief update......... As I finished writing the email I though you know what I know it has the latest firmware even if its not sure itself so ill try a hover at a few feet to test how it reacts. On walking outside with it already powered up the menu screen suddenly decided all was NORMAL and it looked sorted....... great... maybe just a software lag.

I flew it for 5 mins at no higher than 15ft testing it back and forth and though great were off......Landed... turned it off and then repowered up again to check...... boom...RC FIRMWARE REQUIRED!!!! WTF!.

I took it with me as I was meeting someone to show them the kit and though sod it ill risk a low hover camera demo..... Powered up an hour later and sure enough still said requires update..

I flew for 5mins or so showing the guy some features and talked about the RTH and all that... all the while thinking please don't spin out the sky due software.... we came to showing some of the features on the app and I went to point out the firmware update and once again... NORMAL!!!!!! WTF....

Ok so it came me a bit more confidence to fly it a bit higher and further away and even did a RTH demo but I was really wanting to fly over the guys house but as that was at the maximum visual line of sight and over houses ad roads I decided not to.... Shame as it was probably fine but the rest to others is not my choice. smashing up in a field I can justify as its my toy......

Anyway.. back a the house now and charging the batt and iPhone for another final test to see what it says when I next switch it on.

Anyone else having this issue or am I alone???
2016-3-17
Use props
davidathomas42
lvl.2

United Kingdom

As expected. Wanted an update again. I hovered for a couple of mins before checking it and shutting down again as it still was asking for the firmware it's had 3 times now
2016-3-17
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

davidathomas42 Posted at 2016-3-17 12:12
As expected. Wanted an update again. I hovered for a couple of mins before checking it and shutting  ...

Go into general settings "About" and see if you have a + sign after the RC firmware like 1.5.70+ or does it say 1.5.80.  sometimes it takes 24 hours for DJI servers to catch up.  Make sure you have internet connection for the RC and APP, just like when you  did the upload this way it can confirm with DJI servers. I would reboot the RC and go app and then  make sure you have internet access on you I-pad or I-Phone , it should update then.
Make sure your device with the GO -App has as internet connection.

Let me know- donnie

2016-3-17
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Mine all worked fine. What are the versions of fw for p3, RC and app?  Hope you get it sorted.
2016-3-17
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791184 ft
United States

I had a similar issue. If I powered up the RC, then opened the app, everything was normal. If I opened the app, then powered up the RC, I got the same as you, and in the "About" screen, it would say for app "Version Unknown."

Try starting RC, then opening app.
2016-3-17
Use props
davidathomas42
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply. I left it a couple of days to see if the server idea caught up but it still wanted the firmware updating.
2016-3-20
Use props
davidathomas42
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I did then try today turning on the RC before the app as suggested and that worked for this evenings flight. I'll give it another try tomorrow but hopefully that will solve the issue. It was doing the same not knowing which firmware version was installed when doing the update so I think clearly it had the latest but there was a glitch in it knowing that. If this work around continues to work I can live with that as a glitch
2016-3-20
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791184 ft
United States

Good to hear. RC/App/Bird is my start sequence. Used to it now, so good to go.
2016-3-20
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

This is why updating your firmware at the point of release is never a good idea; plenty of bugs and no real benefit to rushing. Roll back to previous version and your life suddenly becomes calm ;-)
2016-3-20
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

davidathomas42 Posted at 2016-3-20 16:08
I did then try today turning on the RC before the app as suggested and that worked for this evenings ...

Hey I apologize, I have the same problem as you even though I know I have the right FW loaded with Success.  I talked to two reps at DJI regarding the + sign after an update One told me what I told you.  You have the upload it needs to connect with DJI servers and will update.  Today after having a weird battery "Cell Broken" warning on my Inspire the DJI rep says the + sign means it did not update 100%, you need to downgrade and start again.   So Iam doing so but still have the FW wanting me to update like you.  i dont know what to tell you and I dont think DJI has the answer either.  I am sorry I have never had an update as screw as this one , I think it has something to do with the GO APP and the RC And Camera update at the same time.    So sorry , I will give you an answer as soon as I get one myself.  Just didi not want you to think I pull this info from the air and then tell others, I am bummed and feel stupid.

sorry -donnie
2016-3-21
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

davidathomas42 Posted at 2016-3-17 10:41
Ok so a brief update......... As I finished writing the email I though you know what I know it has t ...

I had this happen to me on my forth battery with no internet connection.

History battery one I had internet connection and batteries 2-4 no internet connection. This was the day I updated. The following few days it did not asked to update.
2016-3-21
Use props
davidathomas42
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Does seem there is a definite firmware issue then here. At least the workaround has worked so far. Just hope no birds come dropping out of the sky because of it.

Donnie. Thanks for the follow up. Don't worry about it. It did make sense but unfortunately it seems to be a deeper issue. I expect/hope a new firmware update will be along soon that irons out the bugs. I am taking some ariel photos of some cottages tomorrow with my P3P so fingers crossed for a decent flight issue free.

Dave
2016-3-21
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

davidathomas42 Posted at 2016-3-22 02:26
Does seem there is a definite firmware issue then here. At least the workaround has worked so far. J ...

Today , I saw  a post from a DJI rep that the servers had to be Re-set and all should be ok now.  My issue with my GO APP asking for an aircraft update has gone away.   So my first statement was correct, the servers had to catch up.  

I hope your situation is rectified also,.....be sure your device and RC has Internet access.  Good luck.

-donnie
2016-3-22
Use props
MeavyHetal
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I had the same issue but dkruseski's approach worked for me- got to shutdown the app as well as the remote after update. That did the trick. Had me perplexed for a while!
2016-3-22
Use props
askata9213
New
Bulgaria

I deleted firmware package after update and restart my phone and RC and problem is gone.
2016-3-22
Use props
Edu Rico
New

Japan

davidathomas42 Posted at 2016-3-18 02:12
As expected. Wanted an update again. I hovered for a couple of mins before checking it and shutting  ...

Hi David, same fu... Problem here
P3P 1.5.80 RC updated
Keeps asking for update!!!
Software bug?
2016-3-30
Use props
davidathomas42
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yea no update as yet when I flew yesterday so I am just turning on the RC unit before the app and that stops it thinking the firmware is out of date for now and says NORMAL in the info.
2016-3-30
Use props
Edu Rico
New

Japan

davidathomas42 Posted at 2016-3-31 15:15
Yea no update as yet when I flew yesterday so I am just turning on the RC unit before the app and th ...

Thanks guys!
Yea the only solution is turn On RC before the app ...
And wait for the bug to be fixed
2016-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules