Phantom Vision Fan
2412 23 2015-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I swear to god, I turned the phantom on to test a project I'm working on and thought I could hear a fan in the vision's camera - any one else heard the same?
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i dont think it is a fan... mine 'whines' (and it is an oscillating whine at that) sounds like a 1400baud modem from my younger days honestly.  i posted on here asking if others had that problem but nobody seemed to have.  your prob may not be the same as mine but similar enough for me to share.  i still have NO IDEA what could be causing the noise since mine does it when turned on (idle) with nothing running motor wise.  scares me tho as im afraid there is a 'problem' (since it certainly shouldnt make that noise) that may imply i have an impending hardware or software crash on my horizon.  and of course, i could 'send it back in' for an eval but i bought direct from dji (bad idea) and dont want to go months without my brand new toy.  bums me out....

anyhow, dont think that camera has a fan so not sure what your prob is if not similar to mine...
2015-1-10
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

I good idea is to check your updates including camera it may be a simple fix. Usually any servo motor will make a noise when under a steady slight resistance is you camera bracket on when you have this issue?
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

all my equipment is up to date (did that out of the box first powerup).  i have a p2v not a p2v+ so my camera is fixed/rigid and i have not touched anything with the camera or gimbal.
2015-1-10
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-11 00:41
all my equipment is up to date (did that out of the box first powerup).  i have a p2v not a p2v+ so  ...

You camera doesnt move at all? If the sound is comming from the camera and it's fixed meaning can not move then  you really should not have to worry of a crash more worry the camera will eventually go bad. Is that camera expensive?
2015-1-10
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-11 00:41
all my equipment is up to date (did that out of the box first powerup).  i have a p2v not a p2v+ so  ...

Can you unplug the camera?
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

ok, sorry i confused things there.  my camera is fixed in that it is the small round one that is permanently fixed to the drone unless you take it apart.  i thought the p2v+ model with the fancy gimbal and gopro cameras allowed you to take the camera on and off easily so that is what i meant by fixed but i see how that was misleading.  it moves but does not come off.

yes, i unplugged the camera and it still made the noise.  i dont think it is the camera servo as i can hear that servo when the camera moves and it sounds totally different (sound and location) than the noise i am describing.  see what i mean by how odd that is?  first person out there with a drone that has a 1400 baud modem in it... herp...
2015-1-10
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

jeepinocala Posted at 2015-1-11 00:59
Can you unplug the camera?

The whine you hear is normal and comes from the 1 axis gimble. The noise I am having comes from the camera, I have proven this by removing the power jack from the back on the camera. The noise is like a fan blowing and I can mute it slightly by covering the vent holes at the front of the camera.

It never used to do it, or rather I never noticed it before.
2015-1-10
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-11 01:03
ok, sorry i confused things there.  my camera is fixed in that it is the small round one that is per ...

gnixon2015

This thread is about the Phantom Vision not the Vision plus.
2015-1-10
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

umpa Posted at 2015-1-11 04:56
The whine you hear is normal and comes from the 1 axis gimble. The noise I am having comes from th ...

OK heres what I have done. I removed the camera and disconnected the gimble. No noise. Reconnect the gimble and it whines from the servo. Disconnect the servo connect the camera and I hear a fan blowing. The camera in the vision has a fan. It must have.
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

no the whine i am hearing is clearly not the 1axis gimbal because as i said above the gimbal makes its noise when i move the drone around and it has a totally different sound and location than the sound i am referring to.  and i have a vision NOT a vision plus which i also said above
2015-1-10
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

under the servo there is a plug, unplug it, turn on the phantom - see if the noise goes away.
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

already did that (and already stated that in a post above your reply) the noise continues after i unplug the camera.  it isnt the gimbal (or a fan inside the camera).  it is coming from somewhere inside my drone.
2015-1-10
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Strange, all the sound I have is coming from the camera and gimbal and I mean all of it.
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

ok, then my issue and yours are different.  was just a thought (and was hoping others had ideas on both frankly but sound slike you have isolated your to the gimbal, congrats).
2015-1-10
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Well yes, but now I have to take the camera apart to find the fan - lol
2015-1-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-11 08:09
ok, then my issue and yours are different.  was just a thought (and was hoping others had ideas on b ...

You might be able to pinpoint a little closer.  Use the old drinking straw trick like a stethoscope.  Put it in your ear and place the opposite end on various parts you think it might be coming from,  The loudest will isolate the area better.
2015-1-10
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I am sure I have seen photos of the cooling fan inside the vision camera body, but I cant find them now to prove it...
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

ill be amazed if it has a fan in it, the whole thing is only like 2 inches in diameter, that is an amazing fan.  

of course, my fan (if there) isnt making the noise, but still an impressive feat either way...
2015-1-10
Use props
GaryDZ
lvl.3

United States

Read item 3:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3974#p27573

I agree with him - it does have a fan. I've seen smaller ones in computers.
2015-1-10
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

Hey for the unit with the fan issue you can go to the hobby shop and get a motor oiler and put the smallest drop on the fan motor shaft this may fix the problem but first simply make sure a blade of grass or something is not caught in it.
2015-1-10
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

Digital servo motors make all kinds of cute noises.  My RC airplanes sound like little alien villages when the electrical system is powered up.
2015-1-10
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Its not too loud, so I can live with it.  I thought I was going crazy lol.
2015-1-11
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

For future reference, when it stops humming and starts talking to you, that's when you are going crazy....
2015-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules