prop guards
1025 8 2015-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
christopherR
New

United Kingdom

As a new owner i have been reading with increasing concern the burnt out ESC etc issue -  it seems that prop guards may partly prevent the damage in the first place but the manual says that you cannot have guards
if also using gimbal/gopro i assume due to weight, is that right?

2015-1-10
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I don't think so. Even with gimbal, gopro and prop guard you will not exceed 1500 grams. I have never seen a statement from DJI not to use them on phantoms with gimbal. However, prop guards do tend to cause VRS and crash the phantom. That's the reason I never use them.

Why would propguard prevent ESC burn-out issues?
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

it can prevent because if you tip it (on landing for example)  the prop guard will hit and not the prop itself.  it seems like lots of burnouts come from halting the props 'at power' on the engine.  the prop guard can prevent this (not 100% of all situations just some certain ones like i described).
2015-1-10
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

I just put the guards on my P2V+, and really like them.  I got them for use in flying in close proximity to objects, within and about structures, and wooded areas.

I used a red jumbo Sharpie on the fore end guards to color them, and the color really stands out at distance.  The aircraft is much easier to see now, the aircraft seems more "finished", is easier and more comfortable to handle physically, there is no noticeable loss of battery flight time, and the flight characteristics are just fine.

With a few days use in very windy and in calm conditions, maximum descent rate upwind, downwind, and straight down, I have no concern with them creating or increasing any vortex problems in descent.  l am just fine with them.  And, I think the craft looks better with them myself.

I also got a soft case that allows them to remain attached with the props, with room for everything else as well.  Nice.
2015-1-10
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

I also, am a long term flyer and I have had prop guards from day one.  There is a lot of speculation and  secondhand here-say"opinions" about vortex rings and prop guards too. Whether or not these opinions are based on actual experience I do wonder. Over many flights I have never experienced a vortex ring when flying in a planned manner.

The other experienced flyers here are dead right.  They will protect your blades and motors during a landing tip over, hitting a tree, fence, house or other solid object and perhaps most importantly hitting softer objects like people! Those props can do serious damage to flesh! there is a video on youtube worth searching out, of an attempted hand catch that failed and the operator sustaining a serious wound that cut through a vein requiring many stitches- it has a graphic image warning so be prepared.  Imagine the litigation that would bring on you if you hit someone during an unexplained flyaway!

My prop guards have saved my bird from a hard tip over and they are staying on!  There are several cases to carry phantoms with props and guards fitted- I have a thread further back if you wanted to look into that.
Cheers!
Rod
2015-1-10
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

A big permanent marker pen.
2015-1-10
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

guymacdonald@ip Posted at 2015-1-11 07:17
I have wanted to paint mine but not sure what to use. What is a  jumbo Sharpie?

Regards

Sorry, the Sharpie is actually called " King Size".  It's the size of the old "Magic Markers", with the beveled felt tip.
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

on the way to store to buy king size sharpies!! thanks!
2015-1-10
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

Red spray paint made for plastic parts worked on my prop guards.  You can get it at most of the major home/building  supply stores.  It doesn't add any significant weight.
2015-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules