Fly away, Naza, ATTI, Phantom Mode
4928 15 2015-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
niallculligan
lvl.1

Saudi Arabia

I just don't get it, Can you explain it?

Lets say your flying with everything done right, all is working ok and some people say it starts to fly away.
What is the benefit to being in Naza mode?

It seems in both modes you can toggle S1 to regain control

So just how do S1 and S2 work?? In other words, Why choose Naza mode and if it did start to fly away, just what would you do?
2015-1-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

NAZA mode gives you manual control and when you move the S1 switch out of GPS and into atti mode, you are now disconnected from any automatic flight.  When you are in NAZA mode, the S2 switches are activated and you now have course lock and home lock.
2015-1-11
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

In simple terms turning NAZA on enables you to configure S1 position 3 (down)  to enable failsafe so you don't need to turn the controller off to enable go home, or manual mode -  and enables S2 for home lock and coarse lock like Gerry has said.

Leaving Sw1 up is the same as Phantom Mode,  When NAZA is enabled you should ALWAYS do a preflight check of switch positions before yo take off as switch positions change flight behaviour.
2015-1-11
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

http://download.dji-innovations. ... _Guide_v1.26_en.pdf  

The NAZA-M V2 manual covers this, and it is only vaguely mentioned in the Phantom manual.  The NAZA-M V2 manual should be included with the Phantom.  Starting on page 10 explains the flight modes, page 18 explains the Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) modes.
2015-1-11
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

NAZA and IOC mode are the same thing....it appears there is no official name, which can be confusing.

Simply put, the Phantoms come from the factory in what may be a "simple" mode - but many (including me) think it's actually more dangerous because you don't have access to features which help you save your quad. DJI did this so you would be able to fly without reading much - but perhaps they didn't count on GPS being messed up as much as it is!

It's talked about in this article:
http://www.droneflyers.com/2014/ ... m-fly-away-crashes/

and this one is referenced by many:
http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/ ... e-phantom-2-vision/
2015-1-11
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-11 17:20
NAZA mode gives you manual control and when you move the S1 switch out of GPS and into atti mode, yo ...

To clarify:

When NAZA flight modes are enabled via Vision Assistant;

With S1 in top position, called GPS ATTI  mode, IOC modes Home Lock and Course Lock are both functional

With S1 in center position, called ATTI mode, only IOC mode Course Lock is functional, Home Lock is not functional

This also dependent on Switch S1 in default NORM (normal) configuration and not REV (reversed) in RC calibration.
2015-1-11
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

when it starts to fly away, if its a real fly away caused by external influences or hardware conflicts/failures the CL/HL mode wont help you because the phantom wont react. You can try to switch to ATT mode and if that dont work in manual mode but like i said its likely that this wont help in this case. If its a fly away cause of wind or whatever then CL/HL could be a usefull tool. In some cases the CL/HL will not help when the wind is to strong because the speed is limited in GPS mode
2015-1-11
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

so i see the up sides to naza, any down sides to naza (versus phantom)?
2015-1-11
Use props
cmgreenejr
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-11 21:54

In my opinion, the only downside to naza is that you have to pay close attention to, and not inadvertently change the position of S1 or S2, whether pre-flight or inflight.
2015-1-11
Use props
christophercost
lvl.1

United States

I think there is an issue with Naza and waypoint.  My understanding is that waypoints are not supported in Naza mode.
2015-1-11
Use props
GaryDZ
lvl.3

United States

Not true. I often use waypoint and my Phantom has been in NAZA mode since the first week of ownership.
2015-1-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

GaryDZ Posted at 2015-1-12 02:37
Not true. I often use waypoint and my Phantom has been in NAZA mode since the first week of ownershi ...

Did you have your S1 switch in the top position?
2015-1-11
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-11 21:54

Some of the main flying characteristic differences that you will notice in GPS ATTI mode, commonly called Phantom mode, versus ATTI  mode:

1.  The aircraft will not use GPS to maintain position in ATTI mode.  It will drift with any air currents, and you will have to compensate with pitch or roll, or enjoy the drift if it's in a suitable direction for your shot.

2.  The aircraft will use barometric pressure to maintain altitude in ATTI, and very effectively so, but not perfect.

3.  The aircraft will "coast" to an eventual stop in ATTI mode when the pitch or roll sticks are  released, as opposed to quickly stopping and perhaps even returning back to the position at the point the sticks were released in GPS ATTI mode.  Very nice for smooth shots, and smooth stops (or reversed in editing, really smooth travel starts).

4. Course Lock functions in ATTI mode, Home Lock does not.

5.  The craft flies much smoother in slow maneuvers in ATTI mode, as GPS is not attempting to maintain position when the sticks are released.  It is allowed to nicely coast and drift with subtle stick commands. Great for tight locations, and low & slow shots indoors or out.

I personally prefer to do most of my flying in ATTI mode.  GPS ATTI mode is a very useful tool, and I do use it some.  GPS ATTI mode is great for holding position during static shots, and perhaps with some pans.   But I find ATTI mode smoother for video shot whilst moving, and I'm not comfortable depending on GPS to control position of my craft.

Too many times I've seen "Max Speed" on navigation unit in a boat or vehicle way faster than actual, as well as I've seen location errors.  GPS is not a perfect system, is dependent on satellites 22,500 miles away, and a couple of seconds (or a couple of hundred feet) of error can be disastrous to a vehicle "living" on the edge as these drones.

Flyaways due to GPS?  ... I'm still on the fence on this, but I'm pretty sure my Phantom won't fly off in ATTI mode unless something else tells it to "Go Home now", and if it does, I should be able to get control back, or it hopefully will in fact, just go home.

But that's just my thoughts.

Let your Phantom go through it's startup process on power up, no matter what mode you fly.   A plan for every flight, and fly your plan.

Manual mode... a work in progress.  But fun.
2015-1-11
Use props
GaryDZ
lvl.3

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-12 02:40
Did you have your S1 switch in the top position?

Good question. I almost always do, so I will answer Yes. Are you saying waypoints will not function unless I do?
2015-1-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

GaryDZ Posted at 2015-1-12 12:55
Good question. I almost always do, so I will answer Yes. Are you saying waypoints will not function ...

If you are in the top position on the S1 switch, you are in GPS flying mode.
2015-1-11
Use props
GaryDZ
lvl.3

United States

The original question by christopher was whether waypoint flight was supported in NAZA mode. I took this to mean "if you have enabled NAZA in the DJI Assistant, can you use the waypoint function". I responded that "yes, you can - I have done that" to which you asked a completely different question "Did you have your S1 switch in the top position?".  I basically answered YES to that. Now you are saying that the top position of S1 is GPS flying mode which, I sure hope, most of us know who use NAZA.  And, of course, waypoint flight relies on GPS. But now I'm wondering, MUST S1 be in the top position for waypoints to work or does the initiation of a waypoint flight override the switch setting?
2015-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules